I suggest having multiple "Handbooks" with different levels of legality, formality, flexibility, and changeability. For discussion purposes, with everything subject to change (including the names), we could have:

• "Bylaws": Having only what is required by the NFP Act. Changes to this requires a very formal legal process, notifying the government, and may require legal advice.
  • "Policies": Having procedures that must be followed (but without the legality and inflexibility of the Bylaws). Changes to this requires a vote by the VMs or (temporarily) Board of Directors approval.
  • "Guidelines": Having strong and weak recommendations that may be ignored when circumstances are extenuating. Changes to this are made by the author of the guideline, but also as directed by the VMs.

Some examples: Paragraph 615 of the old CFC Handbook says "All boards, chess pieces and clocks should be properly set up and ready to go 30 minutes before the start of the round". That, I think we can all agree, does not need to be a legal commitment in the "Bylaws" and registered with the government of Canada. It does not even need to be in the CFC "Policies" as something that MUST be adhered to. It is, however, a good (although weak) recommendation and so would go in the "Guidelines". FYI, there is a surprising amount of things like this in the old CFC Handbook.

Another example: Section 9 describes the process for Canada's Olympic team. I suggest this should not be a legal commitment in the "Bylaws" since we need some flexibility in unforeseen situations (like pandemics) but it does need to be more than just a guideline. So, into the "Policies" it would go.

The bylaws in the CFC's current NFP Continuance already have what's required by the NFP Act. I suggest not adding to it. Only changing it for clarifications or removing things that belong elsewhere. Most of what remains in the old CFC Handbook would probably go into the "Polices" or "Guidelines".