Thread: Where can I read this: 2010-07: CYCC Qualification Rules

Default Where can I read this: 2010-07: CYCC Qualification Rules

Hello,

I would like to read this motion, can anyone give me a link?

Also in the last GL:
    Motion 2010-07: (Moved/Seconded Michael Barron / John Coleman) To amend the CYCC rules
    to include the following:
    "Canadian Youth Chess Championship is a qualifier to international youth chess competitions.
    Top 3 finishers in each section are qualified for:
    1) World Youth Chess Championship;
    2) Pan American Youth Chess Championship;
    3) North America Youth Chess Championship.
    This motion does not say anything about Scholastic Youth Panamerican (this 4th edition is this year in Peru), is a FIDE event for Americas. This event gives the personal right to participate in the following Panamerican and World Youth event. Based on this factor I would rate it above NAYCC.

Andrei Botez

Default Motion 2010-07 - Governors' On-line Meeting Draft Minutes

Hi Andrei:

I can provide you with the draft Minutes of the recent Governors' On-line Meeting ( which will be posted later tonight ) on Motion 2010-07:

# 12 – Discussion of Motion 2010-07 – Amending CYCC Rules

Motion 2010-07: (Moved/Seconded Michael Barron / John Coleman) To amend the CYCC rules to include the following:

"Canadian Youth Chess Championship is a qualifier to international youth chess competitions.
    Top 3 finishers in each section are qualified for: 1) World Youth Chess Championship; 2) Pan American Youth Chess Championship; 3) North America Youth Chess Championship.

The motion attempts to increase the stature of the CYCC by increasing the prizes it offers. Others felt the system needed more flexibility, especially given juniors sometime changing age groups between the time of a CYCC, and the Pan-American YCC or the North American YCC. Some wanted the Handbook to refer to the fact that non-winner juniors could also attend these events, even if not “ Official Can. Representatives “.

# 12A – Voting on Motion 2010-07 – Results

View Poll Results: Motion 2010-07 Amending CYCC Rules Should be Adopted.

Yes :
    Alick Tsui, Bob Armstrong, Ellen Nadeau, Fred McKim, Garvin Nunes, Gordon Ritchie, Halldor P. Palsson, Hugh Brodie, Jason Lohner, John Coleman, John Erickson, Ken Einarsson, Mark Bluvshtein, Michael Barron, Paul Leblanc, Simon Ong, Valer Eugen Demian, Vlad Rekhson - 18 - 64.29%

No :
    Christopher Mallon, David Lavin, Gary Gladstone, Ken Craft, Les Bunning, Mark S. Dutton, I.A., Michael von Keitz, Patrick McDonald, Stijn De Kerpel - 9 -14%

Abstain :
    Ilia Bluvshtein - 1 - 3.57%

Motion Passes
    Congratulations to Michael Barron ( mover ) and John Coleman ( seconder )

But a problem did develop with this motion. Voting started Sunday night at 9:00PM EDT. On Monday at 9:39AM EDT, the mover, Michael, and seconder, John, treated the discussion and input as a " friendly " amendment, and amended their motion so that it now read:

Motion 2010-07 ( as amended )

Top 3 finishers in each section are qualified to become official representatives for:
    1) World Youth Chess Championship;
    2) Pan American Youth Chess Championship;
    3) North American Youth Chess Championship."

But voting was not stopped on the original motion, and no amended motion vote was called. So the matter is referred to the Executive, to confer with Michael & John, to see if the amended motion can be deemed the one passed.

It must be remembered, however, that the votes taken in this meeting are only “ straw votes “, since there is as of yet, no Handbook section that allows this kind of “ on-line “ voting by Governors.
    So the motion will still now go on to the next GL or AGM voting as already scheduled, to be voted on again.

Hope this is of some help.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei Botez
    Hello,

I would like to read this motion, can anyone give me a link?

Also in the last GL:

This motion does not say anything about Scholastic Youth Panamerican (this 4th edition is this year in Peru), is a FIDE event for Americas. This event gives the personal right to participate in the following Panamerican and World Youth event. Based on this factor I would rate it above NAYCC.

Andrei Botez
    Hello Andrei,

Thank you for the information!

Could you please provide more details about this Scholastic Youth Panamerican?
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Default PANAMERICANO ESCOLAR site

Hi Michael,

Here is the site, is in Spanish only, but is easy to understand the main things.

http://www.fideamerica.com/modules.p...ticle&sid=3274
    Last edited by Andrei Botez; 04-20-2010 at 01:13 PM.

Hi Michael,

Here is the site, is in Spanish only, but is easy to understand the main things.

http://www.fideamerica.com/modules.p...ticle&sid=3274
    Thank you, Andrei!

Unfortunately, my Spanish is not good enough to understand even the main things...

Could you please clarify:
    What is the difference between Pan-American Youth Chess Championship and this Scholastic Youth Panamerican ?
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Default Scholastic Panamericans

Hello Michael,

The main difference is the age groups, instead of the even numbers U8-10-12-14-16-18 is U7-9-11-13-15-17, this make the junior years in the other format to be senior year.
    Winning this tournament you get the personal right to participate in WYCC and Panamerican Youth for 2011.

Andrei

Hello Michael,

The main difference is the age groups, instead of the even numbers U8-10-12-14-16-18 is U7-9-11-13-15-17, this make the junior years in the other format to be senior year.
    Winning this tournament you get the personal right to participate in WYCC and Panamerican Youth for 2011.

Andrei
    Hello Andrei,

Thank you for clarification!

It looks like the perfect prize for the best U7-9-11-13-15-17 players at the CYCC.

What do you think?
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Default Great idea.

I believe some of boys in the "junior year" are not participating at CYCC because of the smaller chances to win first/qualifying place. I am saying boys, because in the girls sections, unfortunately, the competition is not as fierce as in the open section. Giving them ("junior year" players) a good reason to play in CYCC is a great idea. I will advertise that to CYCC.

Andrei

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Barron
    Hello Andrei,

Thank you for clarification!

It looks like the perfect prize for the best U7-9-11-13-15-17 players at the CYCC.

What do you think?