Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ag. Item # 15 – Discussion Only of Motion 2010-11 – Role of the FIDE Representative (

Default Ag. Item # 15 – Discussion Only of Motion 2010-11 – Role of the FIDE Representative (

In this thread, we will debate this motion. But we will not vote on it at this meeting, since in the GL it is only up now for “ first discussion “. The voting on it will take place at the July AGM. But we should debate it now, as the first discussion.

Here is the motion:

Motion # 2010-11 – New Section of Bylaw 3, Duties of Officers, Section 8D– FIDE Representative
    Revision # 3, Dec.22, 2009

Moved: Hal Bond Seconded: Robert Armstrong

That there be added to Bylaw 3 , Duties of Officers, a new Section 8D dealing with “ FIDE Representative “, as follows:

FIDE Representative

8D. The FIDE ( Federation Internationale des Echecs ) Representative shall be an officer of the corporation and a member of the Executive, and shall:

i) be the official liaison between the Chess Federation of Canada and FIDE;
    ii) be the FIDE Zone President for Canada
    iii) deal with matters relating to the FIDE Americas Continent;
    iv) if funding is available, at minimum, attend the annual FIDE Congresses;
    v) work with the Public Relations Coordinator in dealing with mainstream media on chess promotion as it relates to FIDE issues.

"with the Public Relations Coordinator"

I think there is no such position yet. Thus, the motion is with a flaw.

Default Dealing with Bylaw # 2, Section 10 Board of Directors

Hi Egis:

" Bylaw # 2

10. BOARD OF DIRECTORS

The Board of Directors shall be elected at the Annual Meeting of the Assembly and shall be constituted by seven persons, namely, the President, Vice-President, Past President, Secretary, Treasurer, FIDE Representative and Rating Auditor ( note that this seems to be an update that has been missed - the youth coordinator has now replaced the rating auditor on the Executive ) "

I think you are not right on this point. The FIDE Representative is an Executive position already, as above. We are just amending the Handbook to clarify his role in Bylaw 3.

However, in another regard, I think you riase a valid point - We had assumed the Bylaw # 3 amendments re the new Tournament Coordinator and Public Relations Coordinator were the only amdments required. But on seeing the Bylaw # 2, section 10 above it seems we also have now to amend this section to put these two positions into the Executive - it is not enough just to put their roles into Bylaw # 3.

So, it appears we must also amend the Bylaw # 2 section to now include the Public Relations Coordinator and the new Tournament Coordinator .

We will now bring this necessary companion motion. Thanks.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Armstrong
    Hi Egis:

" Bylaw # 2

10. BOARD OF DIRECTORS

The Board of Directors shall be elected at the Annual Meeting of the Assembly and shall be constituted by seven persons, namely, the President, Vice-President, Past President, Secretary, Treasurer, FIDE Representative and Rating Auditor ( note that this seems to be an update that has been missed - the youth coordinator has now replaced the rating auditor on the Executive ) "

I think you are not right on this point. The FIDE Representative is an Executive position already, as above. We are just amending the Handbook to clarify his role in Bylaw 3.

However, in another regard, I think you riase a valid point - We had assumed the Bylaw # 3 amendments re the new Tournament Coordinator and Public Relations Coordinator were the only amdments required. But on seeing the Bylaw # 2, section 10 above it seems we also have now to amend this section to put these two positions into the Executive - it is not enough just to put their roles into Bylaw # 3.

So, it appears we must also amend the Bylaw # 2 section to now include the Public Relations Coordinator and the new Tournament Coordinator .

We will now bring this necessary companion motion. Thanks.

Bob
    Bob, I was writing only about "the Public Relations Coordinator" in this Motion. I think it is a bad practice to include terms/positions/officers in the Constitution who are not described in the Constitution.

Hi Egis:

Sorry I misread your post. We both agree the positions of Tournament Coordinator and Public Relations Coordinator must first be put into Bylaw # 2, Section 10. As I said above, we will now do that, to make our " roles " amendments valid. Thanks.

Bob

Default CFC officers

WE do not have to amend BYLAW #2. It already provides for the appointment of officers. Officers are not members of the Board of Directors nor should the be.
    Les Bunning

Default Increasing the Size of the Executive

Hi Les:

We did not just want the Tournament Coordinator, and Public Relations Coordinator, to be officers, like the Master's Representative, the Women's Coordinator and the Rating Auditor. They are not governors nor part of the Executive.

We want these positions to have weight - we want them to be governors, and we want them to be on the Executive, elected by the CFC Governors at the AGM. Here they can have some serious influence in carrying out their respective roles, and in influencing the course of the CFC by having a vote in the executive.

Is there a problem with this that we don't see? Increasing the Board of Directors by 2 with the Ministry isn't a problem legally, as far as I know - just some paperwork.

We are doing this by amending both Bylaw 2, section 10, and Bylaw 3, Duties of Officers, in the same motion. I have now filed the amended motions with Lyle.

Bob
    Last edited by Bob Armstrong; 04-08-2010 at 05:05 PM.

Default Increasing the size of the executive

All persons elected or appointed as CFC officers are governors, except the executive director. In my opinion expanding the number of members on the CFC executive is non productive. Bob, you seem to want to have your say in the governance of the CFC but do not want the responsibility of being on the executive.
    Please send me your "legal opinion" on the role of the governors. I can advise that this matter was discussed extensively when the CFC was first incorporated and at that time ABE YANOFSKY Q.C, a prominent winnipeg lawyer and grandmaster was of the opinion that the CFC governors were the equivalent of the shareholders.
    Les Bunning

Default Increasing the size of the CFC executive

ByLAW #2 article 20 specifies that all officers are governors except the executive director.
    Les Bunning

Hi Les:

With all due respect to Abe and you, I think you are both wrong.

I'll forward the article.

As to all officers being governors, I was told the Masters' Rep, the Women's Coordinator and the Rating Auditor were not governors, though non-executive officers. I don't remember if I checked the Handbook at the time to confirm this. I will now, in light of your comment - and I will review Bylaw 2, section 20. Thanks.

Bob
    Last edited by Bob Armstrong; 04-08-2010 at 11:27 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast