Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: 10. Bids for 2023 and 2024 Events and beyond

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mahmud Hassain View Post
    On my Laptop, it still does not show. Not sure what the glitch is.
    Guelph's bid still does not show.
    Please correct me if I were wrong! But here it is black!
    Refresh your page. To speed up access, browsers cache data and you probably accessed the page before the Guelph bid was added. You are reading from the cache. Alternatively, try using another browser which is what you are doing when you access it from your phone.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 09-12-2023 at 10:06 AM.

Blog Entries

There’s been some great discussion among the three bids for the 2025 Canadian Open and CYCC. I think all three bids have their strong points. I’m associated with the Surrey, BC bid, and we created our bid with the vision for the best possible experience for players and families.

So for those who are still undecided, it may be important to consider these points:

Affordable premium hotel price (e.g. $189/night)
    Having the playing venue conveniently inside the hotel is a huge benefit for players and their families, especially those with young kids
    The Greater Vancouver area is a very desirable tourist destination
    BC is long overdue to host the Canadian Open and CYCC

We’d be happy to address any questions you have regarding our bid.

Blog Entries

My hope would be that whoever loses this time will resubmit a similar bid for the following year.

I have created a proposals summary for my own use and is sharing it for those who are interested.

I tried to extract as much relevant information as possible, and as accurate as possible. I do not guarantee the correctness of the data, you should refer to/verify with the proposals.

If any of the bidders would like to make corrections to the spreadsheet, please consolidate and post the corrections you would like to make in ONE post, do not request multiple updates in separate posts. I reserve the right to NOT update multiple requests in separate posts.

Proposals summary - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Cheers,
    Michael Lo

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Don Parakin View Post
    A tough decision. I am desperately looking for some unbiased criteria on which to decide. One criteria I thought might be useful is to see if any region has under- or over-hosted the CO/CYCC relative to their share of the membership population. The results, unfortunately, do not point strongly in any direction. I'm posting the results here in case any other VM is curious if this could be a deciding factor. I'll have to look for other criteria

(WRONG: See correction below in this POST)
    Result: In the 25 years prior to 2025, the West hosted 30.4% with 30.8% of members; Central hosted 65.2% with 63.6% members; and East hosted 4.4% with 5.6% of members. No region's hosting vs members differs by greater than 2% so there is no significant imbalance that needs correcting.

Method: I grouped provinces into 3 regions to avoid unfair fragmentation. I used the latest CFC membership statistics from May, 2023 as well as an estimate of 1,100 FQE members (CFC & FQE members can play in each other's tournaments so I considered FQE part of the same chess playing community).

Raw data (with thanks to Bob Gillanders): 2000 - Edmonton, AB; 2001 - Sackville, NB; 2002 - Montreal, QC; 2003 - Kapuskasing, ON; 2004 - Kapuskasing, ON; 2005 - Edmonton, AB; 2006 - Kitchener, ON; 2007 - Ottawa, ON; 2008 - Montreal, QC; 2009 - Edmonton, AB; 2010 - Toronto, ON; 2011 - Toronto, ON; 2012 - Victoria, BC; 2013 - Ottawa, ON; 2014 - Montreal, QC; 2015 - Windsor, ON (CYCC Only); 2016 - Windsor, ON; 2017 - Sault Ste Marie, ON; 2018 - Quebec City, QC; 2019 - Regina, SK; 2020 - (none); 2021 - (none); 2022 - Hamilton, ON; 2023 - Calgary, AB; 2024 - Montreal, QC.
    The time frame is everything. You would get slightly different numbers if you look at the last ten times the tournaments were held which is a more realistic time frame.

The voting members have a difficult decision ahead of them. All three bids would be good options if they were only bids.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Parakin View Post
    A tough decision. I am desperately looking for some unbiased criteria on which to decide. One criteria I thought might be useful is to see if any region has under- or over-hosted the CO/CYCC relative to their share of the membership population. The results, unfortunately, do not point strongly in any direction. I'm posting the results here in case any other VM is curious if this could be a deciding factor. I'll have to look for other criteria

(WRONG: See correction below in this POST)
    Result: In the 25 years prior to 2025, the West hosted 30.4% with 30.8% of members; Central hosted 65.2% with 63.6% members; and East hosted 4.4% with 5.6% of members. No region's hosting vs members differs by greater than 2% so there is no significant imbalance that needs correcting.

Method: I grouped provinces into 3 regions to avoid unfair fragmentation. I used the latest CFC membership statistics from May, 2023 as well as an estimate of 1,100 FQE members (CFC & FQE members can play in each other's tournaments so I considered FQE part of the same chess playing community).

Raw data (with thanks to Bob Gillanders): 2000 - Edmonton, AB; 2001 - Sackville, NB; 2002 - Montreal, QC; 2003 - Kapuskasing, ON; 2004 - Kapuskasing, ON; 2005 - Edmonton, AB; 2006 - Kitchener, ON; 2007 - Ottawa, ON; 2008 - Montreal, QC; 2009 - Edmonton, AB; 2010 - Toronto, ON; 2011 - Toronto, ON; 2012 - Victoria, BC; 2013 - Ottawa, ON; 2014 - Montreal, QC; 2015 - Windsor, ON (CYCC Only); 2016 - Windsor, ON; 2017 - Sault Ste Marie, ON; 2018 - Quebec City, QC; 2019 - Regina, SK; 2020 - (none); 2021 - (none); 2022 - Hamilton, ON; 2023 - Calgary, AB; 2024 - Montreal, QC.
    Don P - thank you for the data.
    A bit of a nerdy question, do you by chance know if there were competing/losing bids from other regions?
    I get the goal of regional balance, especially for a geographically large country. However, if only one region bids, it is not a bias if they are awarded.
    Again, just curious.

Don H.
    Don Hack
    CFC Voting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lo View Post
    I have created a proposals summary for my own use and is sharing it for those who are interested.

Thank you so much Mike, this is indeed quite useful having all the data quickly available for quick comparison.

Cheers,

Marc Moisan, CD, PLog

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lo View Post

I tried to extract as much relevant information as possible, and as accurate as possible. I do not guarantee the correctness of the data, you should refer to/verify with the proposals.

If any of the bidders would like to make corrections to the spreadsheet, please consolidate and post the corrections you would like to make in ONE post, do not request multiple updates in separate posts. I reserve the right to NOT update multiple requests in separate posts.

Cheers,
    Michael Lo
    I believe the schedule for Vancity bid is wrong. They have the usual days for CYCC and 7 for Can Open.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad Rekhson View Post
    I believe the schedule for Vancity bid is wrong. They have the usual days for CYCC and 7 for Can Open.
    Updated. Thank you.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast