Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: 10. Bids for 2023 and 2024 Events and beyond

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lo View Post
    The most common and proper way to handle late proposal submission in any bidding process is to reject it, especially with the other proposals already went public. Opinions.
    The CFC bidding procedure is flawed. The Guelph organizers have had access to their competitor's bids prior to submitting their own. This may well breach the duty of fairness required in the bidding process.

Thank you, Vlad!

Could we approve 2024 Canadian Closed and Canadian Women Closed bids at this Meeting?
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Barron View Post
    Thank you, Vlad!

Could we approve 2024 Canadian Closed and Canadian Women Closed bids at this Meeting?
    No, we cannot. When there is just one bid, it goes to the executive. I am sure that everything can be worked out and will be worked out.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 09-12-2023 at 11:27 PM.

As the number of players in Youth championship increased significantly, organizers should consider increasing the round number to 9 or more.
    .*-1

In what way are you suggesting the BCCF is "pruning" bids? To me "pruning" suggests another BC organizer group which I don't believe is true.

Just curious but that is not at all clear to me.

[CAVEAT: while in addition to being the CFC Secretary, I am also a BCCF Executive Member at Large but I was unable to attend their AGM on May 21 so am seeing the bids for the first time at this meeting]

While I understand and appreciate Vlad's and Bob's historical stats one factor in judging any bid is the subject of transportation links to the tournament site particularly from outside that region.

I do not believe this was always sufficiently reflected in acceptance of bids and I remember extremely well the Kapuskasing events which largely due to the need to drive to the events due to lack of ability to get there by any other means severely limited the ability of players from outside Ontario to play. In the second Kapuskasing open there were ZERO players from BC, AB, SK or MB (I know this because my Governors proxy was voted by an Ontario Governor despite it saying that it was to be voted preferably by a BC governor and failing that from one from AB, SK or MB). This was confirmed to me after the event by then president Maurice Smith who I knew well from my days at the Scarborough Chess Club when I lived in Ontario.

The attitude in Vancouver was that one Kapuskasing event was bearable but awarding a second consecutive one to them demonstrated total lack of caring by Ontario governors. The bottom line is that holding the second Kapuskasing event badly damaged relations between the CFC and BCCF in particular (I know - I was both a CFC Executive member and a BCCF Executive member that year and heard a lot of talk on the subject - Lynn Stringer and I worked hard to prevent serious attempts at disaffiliation) and the subject WAS discussed by the BCCF executive. Some BC hotheads said publicly that they were convinced Kapuskasing 2005 demonstarted dis-affiliation was warranted. (Note that the BCCF _did_ disaffiliate in the 1960s when I was a young teenage junior and how pleased I was to hear that we had re-joined. It wasn't until my 4th year of tournament play that I got a CFC rating - before that BC used "the Northwest System" which was BC / WA / OR. The attitude in BC after Kapuskasing 2005 was 'we can stand being excluded from one event but being excluded from two consecutive opens is unconscionable" and that's a quote (from memory but quite close) from that year's BCCF president.

Past CFC presidents felt that mostly for geographic / population reasons ON should get the bids 2 of 4 years (preferably NOT in consecutive years) with one in each 4 year cycle going to Western Canada and the Maritimes. (Two CFC presidents told me that one from ON one from BC) and I think people from out here in BC accepted that. (Internet discussion of chess matters didn't exist at that time so there was little discussion on a national scale - in those days "The CFC Governors' Letter" really was a compilation of letters!)

So no question I reject the idea that every location in a province is equally accessible to people outside that region (I speak as someone who has visited all ten provinces, worked in six and played chess in three of them)

I have other things to say but will say them privately to the Executive as I do think there have been regional injustices done concerning some of the sites chosen.

I do NOT feel these comments apply to any of the three bids on the table now.
    Last edited by Lyle Craver; 09-13-2023 at 01:20 AM.

Dear CFC Voting Members:

Greetings from Penny Chess Club and on behalf of the Organizing Committee I would like to express our sincere gratitude for your consideration and support on our bid to host 2025 Canadian Open and Canadian Youth Chess Championship in Burnaby, BC.

We have been working diligently to source the right venue to host those honorable events and as for accommodations besides the hotel rooms we are thrilled to announce the offsite accommodations option of staying in Simon Fraser University (SFU) which is less than 20 minutes drive to the Tournament Hall with the details as follows:

- Single bed private room ($65/night) - this is exceptionally affordable in Burnaby
    - Double Queen rooms ($152 - $199/night)
    - Townhouse w/ 4 single-occupancy bedrooms ($280/night)

We could coordinate to arrange shuttle bus for the convenience of the players as needed.

In addition we are confident we could get more sponsorship to increase the COCC Prize fund as We are the most popular chess club in Metro Vancouver area with 5 locations across 5 cities to serve more than 500 students and we have been receiving more and more sponsorships in our Quarterly CFC Rated Tournaments ( Greater Vancouver Chess Tournaments) which attracts more than 200 participants each time.

We sincerely wish to get your consideration and should you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact.

WIM Ngoc Pham (Penny)
    Founder & Head Coach
    Penny Chess Club
    www.pennychessclub.ca"
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
    As the number of players in Youth championship increased significantly, organizers should consider increasing the round number to 9 or more.
    At least to 8, which is full 4 days of chess.

First of all I think we have 3 very good bids which makes it tricky to choose. Personally I will be voting for the Vancity, Surrey bid for the following reason:
    1) I think it would be nice to have the event in Vancouver as BC didn’t host it for more than 10 years and Vancouver even longer than that so it would be good time.
    2) When comparing accommodation in other bids it is either not practical or too expensive. I think it makes no sense to get a cheaper rate with a hotel 3.5 km away as in the Guelph bid only to have to offer shuttles. Especially, as there are much closer hotel options (presumably more expensive). With Burnaby bid the rate is quite a bit more expensive. Again, there are cheaper accommodations but they are 20 minutes driving distance away.
    3) The Guelph bid looks very nice in terms of prize fund being high but it relies on attaining sponsorship which of course might be possible but is uncertain.
    4) With the Burnaby bid, the Canadian Open starts on the evening of the last round of the Canadian Youth. That could save the organizers some costs but it will be more difficult for the Youth players who play both events, additionally, as we found in Calgary this year when we had the same schedule, that created a problem with hotel accommodation as many rooms used for CYCC were not yet free for the Canadian Open attendees.

In any case, I am sure that whoever wins the bid will have a great Canadian Open!

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Craver View Post
    In the second Kapuskasing open there were ZERO players from BC, AB, SK or MB
    That may have been because on the very same dates BC hosted the "2004 Western Canadian Open", the only time this championship appears in the database back to ~1996. Seems there was a lot of unpleasantness around this whole affair from (over?)application of rules to reject bids to protest events. I'm reminded of the difficult job our executive does for us especially in "lose-lose" situations with consequences that are unintended.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast