Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 4. Reports (Executive members and Officers please post your reports here)

Default 4N Executive Directors Report

Hello everyone. Let me start with an apology. I just read my report from our previous meeting in May 2023, where I promised the financial statements before the AGM. I just wrapped up that task late yesterday after 3 intense days. Vlad has posted them on discussion thread 5A2.

Life returning to normal today. I want to thank everyone for their patience and understanding as the CFC office struggled to manage the growth in membership, implementation of our new Just Go membership system, and revamping our accounting system. Much credit goes to the three amigos: Don Parakin (IT), George Stajov (memberships), and Brian Floyd (accounting).

Special appreciation goes to Christina Tao. Christina manages all the details very effectively with the Juniors and the numerous international events. She really does lighten the load on the CFC office. Also, thank you to Vlad Drkulec for setting up a new bank facility so we can handle bank wire and e-transfers more effectively.

My new goal is for quarterly financial updates before each quarterly meeting.

On my wish list is a new CFC rating program. Don and I having been discussing this for some time now, but we have not taken it to the executive yet. It has served us very well for 27 years now, but it does now limit our progress. We should add it to the agenda for next meeting.

The whole issue of ratings deflation fascinates me, being a bit of a math nerd. We have done some statistical analysis and some proposals discussed, but we are waiting now to see what FIDE does. A new CFC rating program, if properly designed, could be game changing.

When we reported our 60% jump in memberships in May 2023, we got mostly thumbs up. But a few questioned if we should be celebrating. It is a good question. I took notice and emailed the USCF ED Carol Meyer. She was good enough to reply promptly with membership stats. The two membership structures do have some differences, so an “apples to apples” analysis is needed.

Bob

1. Technical / formal activity.

a. Transfers.

I do dozens transfers from other federations to CFC every year. Usually for young immigrants, mostly juniors. FIDE made it easier, but still the transfer process requires up to 3 months, depends on previous federation and how fast they provide a non-objection letter. Some federations (like India) are very cooperative and transfer takes 2-3 days, some are not cooperative at all (like China) and we have to wait 3 months.

That means for players who want to represent Canada or to play on National events (Canadian Closed, Zonal, CYCC) - important to start the transfer process 3-4 months in advance. That means March for CYCC players.

b. Norms and titles.

While FM (WFM) and CM (WCM) title requests usually got almost immediate (1-2 business day) response by FIDE, GM/IM norms and titles require more time and more preparation. My advice to players who achieved a Norm - please contact your arbiter and get the Norm paper signed not only by the arbiter, but also by the hosting federation.

Especially about USCF - they are too big, busy and sometimes lazy. It's not an easy task to get a needed signature from them. I know many Canadian title contenders got their norms in USA - please follow my advice, you will save your and my time.

I regularly sign a Norm paper if a foreign player achieved a Norm performance in Canadian tournament, most foreign federations are very cooperative, but some of them need many follow-up emails.

c. Arbiters

This year CFC got 2 new FA arbiters (Allison Tsypin, Alex Ferreira) and 1 new IA (Omaray Shah). Congratulations! Currently, I am in process of helping 2 other Canadian arbiters to upgrade their arbiter license.

d. NM / NCM

As a Master Representative I regularly approve applications for these titles. Mostly for young players, for them it's just a minor step towards more lucrative titles. As I mentioned in another thread, the system is logical and simple.

e. National Arbiters.

I mention this issue in another thread. Just hope to get more responses from different VMs. After AGM I will consult other CFC directors and experienced arbiters with idea to create a relatively simple and fair system for this title.

To be continued...
    Last edited by Victor Plotkin; 09-12-2023 at 12:17 PM.

2. World Cup - 2023

I posted my report on this issue on different Canadian chess forums. Here is my report:

I have always prioritized transparency when it comes to what happens on the insides of Canadian chess, which is why I think it's important that I share what happened when players were being selected for the 2023 World Cup, which will be held in Baku in August.

As you likely know, Canada is always able to send one player to the World Cup, and that player is the winner of the 2022 Canadian Zonal (Yuanchen Zhang). 4 years ago, the FIDE increased the number of participants in the World Cup and the additional 100 spots are distributed to the 100 best performing teams from the previous Olympiad. Before the start of the 2022 Canadian Zonal, it was clear that Canada would almost certainly perform in the top 100 at the 2022 Olympiad, and thus the runner-up from the Zonal would be able to attend the World Cup as well.

Unfortunately, the FIDE created a new rule regulating how players could be selected for the World Cup. Only those who had represented their country at the previous Olympiad would be able to play at the World Cup. Players who did not participate in the Olympiad could only play if all 5 players from the previous Olympiad would choose not to participate.

The CFC, like all other national chess organizations, received this information in March through an email from the FIDE. I discussed the contents of the email with a few FIDE officials, including the Head of the Legal Department. I explained that this change put the CFC in a very uncomfortable position, as the runner-up from the Zonal had been told that they would be able to participate in the World Cup. The runner-up was Shawn Rodrigue-Lemieux, who had the same amount of points (7/9) as the winner, Yuanchen Zhang, but got second by tiebreak. Shawn did not represent Canada at the 2022 Olympiad, though he was, in fact, very close to receiving a spot.

The FIDE acknowledged that these new regulations were cause for complaint for numerous federations, not only the CFC, but decided not to change anything. I then asked for one of the FIDE President's wild cards (there are 3) to be given to Shawn, taking into consideration that he was also the winner of the 2022 U18 WYCC. I understood that the chances were slim to none, as the President of the FIDE was unlikely to give a spot to an IM rated 2470.

Shawn was notified of all this and also wrote a letter to the FIDE about the situation. As a result of this pressure, the FIDE ended up granting Shawn a wild card spot at the Grand Swiss, another notable tournament. Chess-wise, participation in the Grand Swiss could be even better for Shawn, who would play 11 games against 2600+ rated players. Shawn indicated that he was satisfied with this.

Afterwards, the CFC was supposed to select one of the 5 Olympiad participants from 2022 to play in the World Cup. It was decided that three factors would be taken into consideration for selection: current FIDE rating, performance at the last Olympiad, and results at the last 2 Canadian Championships (2022 and 2023). Eric Hansen edged out Raja Panjwani and Nikolay Noritsyn and was given the spot.

I have to add that very unfortunately, Eric Hansen was not able to attend a WC-2023 because of visa issues.

We got a very strong performance by M-J.Ouellet who beat higher rated opponent in first round and lost on tie-break to GM Irina Krush in the second round.

3. FIDE proposes dramatic changes in rating system.

I provide here my email to FIDE Qualification Commission with my ideas about this problem. I don't think it's necessary to discuss this problem here on AGM. However, I would appreciate a private conversation with VMs if they have some interesting ideas about this topic. Here is my email.

Hello,

The FIDE recently published the recommendations of mathematician Jeff Sonas and of the qualification committee. The proposed changes are very radical and making those changes would involve giving many players hundreds of rating points and raising the minimal FIDE rating to 1400, among numerous other additions.

The full text of Sonas' proposal can be found here:
    https://www.fide.com/docs/presentati...g%20System.pdf

I would like to express my point of view about the whole situation with FIDE ratings and about the proposed changes.

1. The rating situation – an extensive period of deflation

In the chess world, starting from 2014, ratings have been deflating. The deflationary wave, which started from the bottom of the chess pyramid, is climbing upwards and has been experienced by all players, including the elite (2700+).

The reason for the change in trend (inflation to deflation) was the FIDE's reform in 2014, when nearly every player was given a rating and a rating minimum of 1000 was created. A ton of players, mostly kids, were added to the rating pool.

The rating trajectory of many young players looks something like: initially earning a rating of a bit higher than 1000 (let's say 1100), playing for a few years, boosting their rating by a few hundred rating points (perhaps to 1700), and subsequently quitting chess towards the end of their teenage years, unfortunately often permanently. As these players leave the game, they also take with them the hundreds of rating points they gained throughout their careers (would be 600 in my example).

Differing K-factors smooth this effect, which is why the FIDE wisely instituted 3 K-factors in 2014. To be clear, they smooth this change, but they do not erase deflation nor get rid of its causes.

As such, it can be said that deflationary pressures are tied to the very nature of the chess pyramid and its growth. Therefore, monitoring rating trends and responding to them with lasting changes when necessary is certainly desirable for the FIDE.

Unfortunately, the FIDE didn't notice the sufficiently obvious deflationary trend for quite a while. Furthermore, the rule change from January 1, 2022 only increased the rate of rating deflation and made the deflation reach the upper levels of the chess pyramid faster. The change was that if a player plays multiple games against opponents with a >400 rating difference in one tournament, only 1 of those games is adjusted to a 400 point difference. Previously, the rating changes as a result of all such games were done as though the rating difference between players were 400 points, and not greater.

a. Deflation and the elite

The deflationary wave did not reach the chess elite immediately, rather a few years after 2014. Let's try to analyze the deflation of the elite's ratings by creating a number E, which represents the sum of the differences between all ratings above 2700 and 2700. For instance, Carlsen's current rating is 2835, meaning that he adds 135 points to the count, while a player with a rating of 2700 adds exactly 0. I think that E sets up a rather informative indicator for how rating deflation has affected the chess elite; this is better than, say, counting the number of players whose ratings exceed 2700.

Here's how E has looked at the start of each year since 2015:

2015 - 1895
    2016 - 1864
    2017 - 1934
    2018 - 1941
    2019 - 1810
    2020 - 1760
    2022 - 1559
    2023 - 1483

Based on live ratings, E is now 1407.

E does not include the ratings of inactive chess players such as Kasparov and Kramnik.

Clearly, E reached its peak by 2018 and has since dropped more than 500 points, which is representative of 12 points for each 2700+ rated player on average. It would be logical to propose that without administrative measures the deflationary trend would continue at a rate of 3-4 points lost per elite player each year.

At lower levels, the deflationary pressure is even stronger and has indubitably been felt after the reforms of 2014, and not after 2018 as was the case for the elite.

b. COVID-19

The pandemic-related two-year-long lack of tournaments put additional pressure onto the rating system. Young players became significantly stronger over 2 years, but their ratings remained unchanged. After most restrictions were lifted in 2022, the young players rapidly began taking rating points from the higher rated and generally older players.

This effect has likely dissipated over the last 1.5 years and the afflicted generation has been able to maintain an adequate rating reflecting their current level of play.

c. Deflation – not the only problem. Elo tables no longer reflect reality

Of the tables that Jeff Sonas cites in his proposal, the most interesting are the ones that compare data for the years 2008-2012, when no one was aware of deflation yet because there was, in fact, rating inflation. We can see from that table that lower rated players had a statistical advantage in terms of expecting rating changes in games with higher rated opponents. The difference ranged from 2% (100 point difference) to 7-8% (400 point difference).

Since 2021, the expected rating change per game reached a difference of 15% between different ratings, according to the table. This is a seriously large amount.

Many experienced chess players remember the main coefficients of the Elo tables. For instance,

0.64 - expected performance then playing against someone that is 100 points lower rated
    0.76 - 200 point rating difference
    0.92 - 400 point rating difference

In reality, even during the inflationary period, the number 0.62, 0.72, and 0.85 more accurately and fairly represent rating change expectations.

We all respect Professor Arpad Elo. His work and data created the basis of the rating rules that the FIDE has been based on for over 50 years. There's no doubt that in 1970, Elo's tables perfectly reflected reality.

However, this was a long time ago, when the rating range was 500 points, from 2200 to 2700. Now the rating range is greater than 1800 points (1000-2800+), and even if Sonas' proposal is accepted, the range will be 1400 points (1400-2800). This is 3 to 3.5 times greater than before. Of course, it comes as no surprise that there are significant differences between rating data from today and that from 50 years ago.

2. The solution

Sonas' proposed reforms will result in great shifts in rating for a huge number of chess players and this will decrease confidence in the rating system, which is a key asset for the FIDE. Sonas proposes extremely harsh measures to deal with long-standing problems that could be solved via much more conventional means. The proposal forgoes one of the key principles of rating – it can be changed only at the chess board. I'd imagine that the FIDE should aim to minimize instances of direct interference. Mathematically speaking, it's illogical to change the value of a function, when it would suffice to simply change the rules of calculating the derivative.

Of course, like in medicine, there are moments when the use of more severe measures is most apt. In this case, however, the relatively calm deflation clearly is not representative of such an instance. The deflation has lasted for only 5 years among the elite, after a much longer and more significant period of inflation. The number E that I defined earlier ranged from 0-30 at the end of the 1970s, when Fischer had quit chess and this number depended on Karpov's rating, given that he was the only 2700+ rated player at the time.

Nonetheless, some changes are necessary and should, alongside combating deflation, help adapt the tables of Elo to today's reality.

My proposals:

a. Modifying Elo's tables.

Instead of 0.64, 0.76, 0.92 (corresponding to rating differences of 100, 200, and 400 points between opponents), I propose 0.62, 0.72, and 0.85. This means decreasing the expected result of a chess player with a higher rating by 2%, 4%, and 7% respectively. Of course, the rest of the numbers in Elo's tables would be modified accordingly.

This change would largely halt rating deflation among the elite. If, say, Carlsen were to play 50 games a year against opponents with an average rating difference of 100 points, his rating would increase by 10 points a year. Instead of receiving 3.6 rating points (0.36 x 10) per win, he now receives 3.8, loses 1.2 instead of 1.4 in a draw, and loses 6.2 instead of 6.4 when he loses. The total of this, under these circumstances, is 10 points.

For weaker players, the effects of this change will be less significant, but the impacts will be felt at least by players rated above 2400, who play the majority of their games against weaker opponents, and would therefore gain rating as a result of this change.

Another positive effect of this modification is that stronger players' fears of entering tournaments where there are many weaker players will largely disappear. Currently, many strong players aim to minimize their participation in tournaments with a large rating range, which results in such tournaments becoming even weaker. In North America, for example, many large tournaments have significantly lower average ratings than was the case 10 years ago.

For the last several years, the common, and correct, view has been that it is far easier to gain rating against strong players. Is this fair though? For instance, a chess player rated 2000 could consistently crush opponents rated 1800, while another 2000-rated player may be able to snag quite a few points off an opponent rated 2200. Recently, the latter player would be deemed better and was rewarded more. Why is this? There must be, at least roughly, symmetry in this way, and a player's ability to get a ton of points against lower-rated opponents must be adequately rewarded.

b. Fully bringing back the 400-point rule, but making it 500.

In accordance with my proposition to modify Elo's tables, 0.9 would be the coefficient for a 500 point rating difference. No matter how many games a stronger player plays against those more than 500 points weaker than them, they should get at least 1 rating point when they win (2 points when K-factor is 20 and 4 points when K-factor is 40).

Proposals a and b would stop deflation among strong players and get rid of a key flaw of Elo's tables, referring to the fact that the coefficients he provided no longer correspond with reality. Those in the middle of the chess pyramid would neither profit nor suffer, but those at the lower levels would lose rating. Two further proposals will help deal with deflation at the middle and lower levels.

c. Changing how a player's first FIDE rating is calculated

Jeff Sonas' proposal about changing players' first FIDE rating (adding two draws against 1800 to the count) seems completely logical and would help deal with deflation at the bottom of the pyramid. Jeff suggested specifically 1800 because he also proposed that 1400 become the lowest rating a player could have. I proposed that 1000 remains the minimal rating. Accordingly, 1500 or 1400 should replace the proposed 1800 for a similar effect. I would like to point out that adding these two draws against 1400 or 1500 to a player's initial rating should only be applied for players whose initial ratings would increase as a result.

To some extent, this proposal does violate the principle of fairness, artificially increasing one's first rating, but this could, in my opinion, be considered as a sort of rating advance to often young, new players.

Of course, changing the way in which one's first rating is calculated will not immediately stop rating deflation, but the effects will be felt soon enough. Moreover, this benefits specifically the lower levels of the chess pyramid sooner and more than those stronger than them.

d. Rounding ratings monthly upwards

The FIDE calculates changes in rating to the tenth of a point, while up-to-date official ratings, published once a month, are rounded to the nearest point. 0.5 is rounded in the direction of the last rating change, i.e 1700.5 becomes 1701 if the player's rating grew over the last month and 1700 if it fell.

I propose that ratings always be rounded upwards for players rated <2000. For the majority of them, their K-factor is 20 or 40, and thus their rating could end in .0, .2, .4, .6, or .8. 40% of the time, a player would receive an extra point at the end of the month, as compared to the current rules. For the most active players, who play each month, this change would result in 4.8 (0.4 x 12) additional points a year. On average, I assume this effect would be around 2 points per player each year.

Though the change seems small, it will at least reward more active players.

Rounding to the nearest point is the most common approach to such things, but rounding in the player's favor is not at all illogical.

3. Side effects

Of course, it is difficult to predict the impact of such relatively large changes on the whole situation with regards to rating. However, unlike Jeff Sonas' proposals, mine are not irreversible and not nearly as huge as handing out hundreds of points to the majority of players.

In my opinion, all that remains is adapting the tables for norms to the new parameters. This is a purely technical question that can be answered easily and quickly.

Victor Plotkin
    FM, FT, CFC FIDE Representative

Blog Entries

Thanks Victor.

Cool 4B Vice President Report

Hello everyone,
    It’s been a great year volunteering as Vice President for CFC. I’m glad to be part of the CFC team and to continue promoting chess in Canada.
    My report and some thoughts on the needs of chess in Canada:
    1. As you know, I attempted to make chess a sport in Canada. I want government to support it. We raised awareness through the petition and got 2000 signatures, yet, there was no response from the government. We need to push more to get it done and involve other politicians. Big question is why the Canadian government is stalling with this – by now, chess has been declared a sport even in the Carribbean.
    2. We got lucky with the billionaire sponsoring the Candidates event in Toronto. This is so big for Canada. We should take advantage of this and seek more sponsors for big chess events for the future (tourism companies, etc.).
    3. We need a better moderated Chess Chat. After promoting the petition on ChessTalk, I realized it is poorly moderated and people can speak freely of such things as rape there. The admins never replied to my letter of complaint.
    4. Other things that I’ve been doing include:
    ◾ helping to maintain CFC Facebook page
    ◾ growing CFC chess dot com club by doing online tournaments
    ◾ running Chess in the Park (Toronto)
    It’s been great working with all of you this year! Have a lovely week!
    Vice President of CFC
    Olga Mushtaler

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Olga Mushtaler View Post
    3. We need a better moderated Chess Chat. After promoting the petition on ChessTalk, I realized it is poorly moderated and people can speak freely of such things as rape there. The admins never replied to my letter of complaint.
    We have a better moderated chess forum which is the vehicle we are on at the moment. I still use chesstalk against my better judgment because of the presence of a few old chess friends but it remains a cesspool and I find that the less time spent there, the better, which means that those that want to know what is going on in chess have to come to our forums and our website.

Anyway, thank you for your report and for all your initiative as vice president. It is a pleasure working with you and also with the rest of the board. Everyone seems to be rowing in the same direction and I am sure that this fact has contributed to the recent success and increased momentum experienced for chess and the CFC.

I am pleased that everyone is returning for another term.

Yes, this is a much better chat.
    Looking forward to another term! Can't believe it's been a year.

I agree with Victor's four points. I would also note that the CFC rating bonus formula can be adjusted to add more rating points to the system by rewarding strong performance rather than the FIDE proposal to give rating points to everyone.
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer, Chess Foundation of Canada
    CFC Voting Member

Blog Entries

Default 4M. Treasurer's Report

I must apologize for my absence from the meeting so far. I plan to post a report here within 24 hours.

I'm back. I don't think a detailed synopsis is really needed here. This is by far the healthiest year for the CFC since I've been Treasurer. Even after setting aside $20,000 (an increase from the "usual" $15,000 in a surplus year) for the 2024 Olympic Team, we have a profit of $15,000. We are probably now in a position to receive "modest" proposals for programs.

Fred
    Last edited by Fred McKim; 09-16-2023 at 12:00 PM.

Cool

4F. Youth Coordinator reports

This year we are seeing a significantly increase interests in the Youth Chess. As from Victor's report, we are seeing lot of youth players has dramatically improve their chess knowledge but the rating is still not reflect their actual skill level. We are also seeing parents are more eager, involved and willing to travel in youth chess. This year CFC is doing more educational presentation to parents who will definitely help on the grow of youth chess.

From my last report since Oct 2022, our youth players have did an amazing performance in the following amazing events.

1. North American Junior Chess Championship U20 @ Mexico City. Dec 1-6, 2022
    Eugene Hua finished 2nd place, Shawn Rodrigue-Lemieux finished 3rd place, Johnathan Han tied for 3rd place, Patrick Angelo Tolentino finished 9th place
    Michelle Hua tied for 3rd place, as Julia Tsukerman tied for 8th place.

2. World School Chess Championships, Rhodes, Greece, April 13-23, 2023
    We have 8 players travelled to World School in Greece. Congratulation to Elliot McCallum who came home with first place in U07 open section.

3. Canadian Schools Team Championships, June 11, 2023
    FIDE announced World Schools Team Championships in May, CFC run on hybrid tournament for U12 and U18 sections. With total of 19 teams fighting for champion, the winning team of each category will represent Canada in World schools Team Championship in Aktau, Kazakhstan.
    U12 Champion Team : Silver Stream Public School
    U18 Champion Team : The Upper Canada College

4. Canadian Youth Chess Championship at Calgary, Alberta, Jul 19-22, 2023
    We have a record breaking number of over 460 players from across all regions join in this prestigious tournament.
    Calgary is one of the most successful tournament. From the organizing point of view to all the running aspect of the tournament, they have the best teams to work together and make it a very successful event with no issues at all. I am able to do a CFC presentation to educate parents for all international tournaments. Educate parents is a key success for our youth players.

5.World Schools Team Championships, Aktau, Kazakhstan, Aug 3-8, 2023
    The inaugural World Schools Team Chess Championship, FIDE’s new flagship competition among educational institutions, was held in Aktau, Kazakhstan from August 3-8. The competition was to be played in a rapid time control of 45’ + 10’’ to allow for 8 rounds of play. The first edition of the tournament was incredibly successful, with the combined participation of over 400 students from 53 countries in the U18 and U12 sections. Canada sent two teams to Aktau.
    Team Canada players are Felix Zhou, Jayden Zihan Zhan, Michael Chen, Jasper Yunjie Jia and Alex Liao.
    Team Canada players are Henry Liu, Charis Zhu, Daniel Guan, and Zeen Liu.
    Both teams are doing excellent well as Henry Liu finished 11th place in Board 1 in U18 section and Alex Liao finished 3rd place on Board 5 in U12 section.
    results: here

6. PanAmerican Youth Chess Championships, Aug 11-18, 2023
    Team Canada has over 50 players in Chicago and there are 21 countries and 645 players competing in the event. Team Canada won 3rd place in National Team ranking.

Individual awards won by Canada
    - Ashley Qian, U10G - 3rd place
    - Rae Chen, U12G - 2nd place
    - Leo Lin, U14O - 3rd place
    - Max Rusonik, U18O - 3rd place.

7. FIDE World Youth U-16 Chess Olympiad 2023, Eindhoven, the Netherlands, Aug 12-19, 2023.
    This is a record breaking year for U16 Chess Olympiad as there are total of 63 teams from 47 countries.
    Canada sent 3 teams to U16 Chess Olympiad
    Team 1 : Anthony Atanasov, Jonathan Han, Max Chen, Kate Jiang with CFC average rating of 2265. Team 1 finished 10th from starting ranking of 14.
    Team 2 : Youhe Huang, Henry Liu Asyush Ajith and Luch Gao with CFC average rating of 2141. Team 2 finished 26th from starting ranking of 38.
    Team 3 : Ethan Song, Matthew He, Ethan Su, Gillian Mok with CFC average rating of 2094. Team 3 finished 32th from starting ranking of 41.
    All three teams did outperform from their initial ranking.
    Results: on ChessResults

8. FIDE World Junior Chess Championships, México city, Sept 20-Oct 2, 2023.
    Canada is sending three players to this event, Shawn Rodrigue-Lemieux, Svitlana Demchenko and Johnathan Han. They will travel out soon

9. FIDE WORLD CADETS CHESS CHAMPIONSHIPS, Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt, Oct 14–2, 2023
    Just finished setup World Cadet team. Team Canada will have 11 players join this event.

10. WORLD YOUTH CHESS CHAMPIONSHIPS 2023, MONTESILVANO (PE), ITALY, Nov 12-25, 2023
    We are setting up World Youth Team. Team Canada will have 13 players join this event.

There are tremendous amount of works involved in setting up each team. Even I am overwhelmed with this workloads, I am still very happy to see Canadian youth are shining in all international stages.

Congratulation to FM Anthony Atanasov earning his 2nd IM Norm at the 1000GM's Silicon Valley Fall super Swiss in Sunnyvale, CA
    Also congratulation to Aaron Mendas, won the 2023 ChessKid Youth Speed Chess.

Congratulation to Vancity Chess Club and Juniors to Masters Chess Academy who will host 2025 Canadian Youth Chess Championship and Canadian Open.

Finally, congratulation to all players and thank you to all parents who support your children on all these chess journeys. CFC also thanks to all organizers who run tournaments to provide the best environment for our young players to grow.

Christina
    CFC Youth Coordinator
    Last edited by Christina Tao; 09-19-2023 at 07:23 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast