Thread: 5A-1 General Discussion - Bids for National Events

Default 5A-1 General Discussion - Bids for National Events

This section is reserved either for bids or discussion of these bids

Question 2024 Canadian Closed?

Do we have any bids for 2024 Canadian Closed?
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Barron View Post
    Do we have any bids for 2024 Canadian Closed?
    Aris Marghetis will likely be back in action for next year and will likely resume his series of Kingston tournaments.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    Aris Marghetis will likely be back in action for next year and will likely resume his series of Kingston tournaments.
    Thank you Vlad for the supportive sentiment!

My health continues to improve steadily and strongly, and I'm happily looking forward to the upcoming CTN (Canadian Transnational) Rapid & Blitz, and Classic!

Having said that, those events, for example, have great teams behind them, from which an Arbiter like myself benefits enormously. But Kingston Easter Chess (KEC), with Zonals, Closeds, Sectionals, etc. is a labour of love for me, something that entails a lot of FUN work, but still a LOT of work over many months, starting by September.

I just don't know if I'll be back up to THAT speed in time for 2024. I might be, but at this time, I just don't KNOW so.

Therefore, when I put on my CFC lifetime member hat, I think the best thing for Canadian chess would be to re-open bidding for 2024, 2025, etc. Yes, I might eventually re-bid myself, but for now, just playing the odds, I think we (the CFC) should encourage and welcome bids from other Organizers.

Thank you to everyone for your support, and hope to see folk in Toronto and Montreal for the CTN!
    Last edited by Aris Marghetis; 05-30-2023 at 11:24 AM. Reason: grammarly stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
    Thank you Vlad for the supportive sentiment!

My health continues to improve steadily and strongly, and I'm happily looking forward to the upcoming CTN (Canadian Transnational) Rapid & Blitz, and Classic!
    Aris, I am sure that I speak for the many people whom you have helped, encouraged, and touch over the years just via your extensive tournament organization and directing, that it is wonderful news to hear of your health's steady and strong improvement. Pls. continue to take care Aris.

Quote Originally Posted by Victoria Doknjas View Post
    Aris, I am sure that I speak for the many people whom you have helped, encouraged, and touch over the years just via your extensive tournament organization and directing, that it is wonderful news to hear of your health's steady and strong improvement. Pls. continue to take care Aris.
    Thank you so much Victoria for your very kind words. The support of the chess community has been deeply touching.