Frankly I'm not sure if this idea is just new or new to me. After a most unpleasant situation last year when I had to impose an adjournment due to the closing time of the venue, a new time control came to mind.

The first period is straight time (say 90 minutes), no increment, no minimum number of moves. When it expires you then have (let's say) 5 minutes with a 30 second increment for the rest of the game. The advantage of the time control is that players still have time to record their moves, so the Arbiters are not tied down to a single game. I t also gets the games finished earlier if the closing time of the venue (whether it is a weekender or a weekly club game) is an issue.

The Leap clocks can accommodate this TC as a custom setting. I haven't been able to get the DGT clocks to co-operate yet but I am no expert. The 2014 Candidates Tournament in Khanty Mansiysk did not have an increment in the first period but the move counter was in force.

I ran it by the FIDE QC and they are fine with it but not for 2400+ rated players, for which they require 4 hours of play based on a 60 move game. I told them it is possible if a player moves slowly enough in the first 90 minutes but they are unconvinced. I reminded them that they accept a 30 second delay on par with the Fischer increment, which doesn't guarantee 4 hours either) but no sale yet.