Thread: Chess Olympiad for people with disabilities: Belgrade, Jan 29 - Feb 5, 2023

Default Chess Olympiad for people with disabilities: Belgrade, Jan 29 - Feb 5, 2023

https://www.fide.com/news/2168

The space is limited as they allow maximum of 30 teams.

The LINK is to a news item added to FIDE's website on Jan 6. The news item has a link to a PDF with details. The details state the deadline for registration was Dec 28 ... nine days BEFORE this news was posted.

The details also say maximum 30 teams but it does not say by what date the final selection of teams will be announced. The selection has some complications to it and it says late registrations may or may not be accepted so I'd imagine some time would be required before they announce the final team selections. Guessing it takes 1 week, or to Jan 4, to announce the final selection. That then gives teams of 5+ people just 24 days (assuming they arrive 1 day before the Jan 29 start) to arrange air, hotel, visa, etc travel plans.

That doesn't leave much time to resolve issues if one of the team's players has trouble with his/her travel plans. For example, if 1+ players cannot get a reasonably priced flight on that short notice and so must drop out and be replaced (which may then affect if their team is still selected).

Is it just me or does this not seem like Blitz or Bullet organizing? I could be wrong (haven't looked at it in detail) but this seems to be a repeating pattern for some FIDE events. Any way to change that?

I agree with most of your points here. Usually, FIDE is interested in having as many players/teams as possible for this type of official non-elite tournaments (U-16 Olympiad, World Team Senior...). I was also surprised to see the limited capacity for this event.

Unfortunately, FIDE faces a lot of problems with it's calendar this year. Both Senior and Team Senior Championship still has no official host.

Does FIDE have a definition of what a "disability" is? It would seem to cover a large number of physical (and not so physical) and visible (and not so visible) ailments.

Blog Entries

This really does not give us much time and unfortunately for many FIDE events this seems to be the practice. Tell us about the event less than a month before and then the scramble is on to make arrangements. FIDE America seems to make this an ongoing practice and it is a concern that this is creeping into FIDE practice as well. This is especially problematic in this case as only the top 27 teams qualify. I'm not sure where the Canadian federation's team would fall. In the face of that uncertainty it is difficult to commit to trying to make this happen.

It does not seem likely that we would be able to put on a team unless everyone interested responds very quickly and then they wouldn't be able to buy flight tickets until it was confirmed that the team was in the top 27 meaning that the tickets would be quite expensive when finally bought.

It is wonderful that they are organizing this tournament but they should give the federations, teams and players enough time to organize things. A more realistic schedule would give three or four months notice with two months to finalize teams before the event was to take place. Travel arrangements can also be difficult depending on the different players and how their disability affects their ability to travel alone or with assistance.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 01-12-2023 at 05:50 PM.

Ottawa Ontario National Master Former Gov.
    Blog Entries

Is there any problem with at some point a FIDE Rep of ours bringing up these organizational issues at a FIDE meeting of some sort, even if only behind the scenes (or in a grassroots meeting of FIDE nations, if any such thing)?

edit: I private messaged you on this CFC Board Vlad, in case you missed it.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
    Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.