Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 11. Other business

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Barron View Post
    Congatulations to Shawn Rodrigue-Lemieux who convincingly won World Youth Chess Championships 2022 - Open Under 18 - with GM performance!
    http://chess-results.com/tnr655571.a...et=YES&flag=30

Way to go, Shawn!
    I'm wondering why this isn't posted on the front page of the CFC website ?

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Lombard View Post
    If this is helpful, postings of IM Shawn Rodrigue-Lemieux, 2022 World U18 Open Youth Chess Champion; and Rachel Ruoxuan Chen, who placed Top 9 in 2022 World U14 Girls Youth Chess Championship, have been featured on the CFC Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Chess-Feder...63031117086480

Similar postings on IM Shawn can be found on Chess Canada CFC Newsletter Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/ChessCanada

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Lombard View Post
    Congratulations, Lloyd, you are now the CFC's new Chief Editor and Journalist heading a staff of zero.

As CFC's only journalist, you will track down stories like Shawn's recent win, you will write up the story, and you will submit it on a timely basis (within 24 hours in the case of Shawn's story). As the CFC's only editor, you will deal with issues like the following: two photos from the 2022 WYCC were sent in by Christina and briefly published on the chess.ca home page until a complaint was received from Victoria that these photos were from her website and photographer and need attribution. My unstated policy has been I only published photos donated without needing attribution (takes work to obtain; takes up limited room on the web page for something few care about). That was my policy as a non-professional editor/journalist. You should devise your own policy as an official editor/journalist role.

As CFC webmaster, I've been hoping to not repeat another experience I had. For 19 years, I was webmaster for another non-profit. In hindsight, only maybe 10% of my unpaid volunteered time was spent on the technical aspects of running a website. The other 90% was acting as the default editor/journalist. I spent many many hours running around trying to extract complete & accurate info from other people then writing up a coherent article for publishing on the website. Often this would be for content that just a few would read and then forget (but complain if it wasn't there). When chess.ca completely succumbed to viruses in 2020, I volunteered to get it back up & running mainly for its core essential functions (upcoming events list, ratings) and hoped to avoid as much editor/journalist work as possible.

I desperately do not want to become CFC's only editor/journalist by default so I am so glad you're now on board. You now own a few issues I've been procrastinating on. For example, there are about 1,100 web page still to be migrated from the old (Drupal) website. Most of these most people won't care about or read, but you'll need to make an editorial decision anyways. About 500 of those pages are biographies of chess players, organizers, etc. These have not been maintained since around 2010 so you will need to update these: for existing biographies, research and add new accomplishments; for new people after 2010, identify who should have a biography entry and create new biographies from them. Or, you can make a decision not to publish these out-of-date biographies. It'll be your decision (so glad to have you on board).

After you have spent several 100 hours of unpaid volunteer time as editor/journalist, you'll be in a great position to answer your own question re why isn't X posted on the website yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Parakin View Post
    ...two photos from the 2022 WYCC were sent in by Christina and briefly published on the chess.ca home page until a complaint was received from Victoria that these photos were from her website and photographer and need attribution. My unstated policy has been I only published photos donated without needing attribution (takes work to obtain; takes up limited room on the web page for something few care about). That was my policy as a non-professional editor/journalist. You should devise your own policy as an official editor/journalist role.
    As the AGM will be closing soon, along with this thread, Don and I along with a few others have continued the general topic on a separate email thread on the importance for CFC to provide proper photo credit to photographers when posting their photos on the CFC website.

In this specific situation, I was not aware that Christina separately submitted the two same 2022 WYCC photos that was posted earlier on Facebook where proper photo credit was given to the onsite photographers. In terms of my involvement, I wanted to make sure that the photographers received photo credit for their photos on the CFC website. It was not so much the need to mention any website/FB page linked to me, but more importantly the names of the photographer. Recently, publications like Chessdom have used my photos from the Canadian Open and they attributed photo credit in the format of "Photo by {Photographer/website or FB page source}", so in correspondence with Don, I suggested the same format. For these 2022 WYCC photos, photo credit can simply be attributed to the onsite photographers without citing the website/FB page sources.

Don: I know that we all in the CFC Community at large appreciate your many hours of volunteer work and technical expertise. Thank you!

In the separate email thread I have suggested for a new request form to be created, similar to the request form that Organizers submit for their chess events, in which the request form would contain:
    - Attached photo to post.
    - Name of photographer to attribute proper photo credit.
    - Short description/title of the accompanying photo.

Going forward, I hope my suggestion will help resolve this issue by way of not adding more work to Don's already deep pile, but still provide a solution to attribute proper photo credit/photo copyright to photographers for their work being posted on the CFC website.

Blog Entries

I think that we concentrate on Facebook and the CFC forums for breaking news such as this. I am very close to personally removing myself from Facebook. I no longer post there aside from CFC matters and occasionally to check on relatives and friends. Currently I have one youngster who is pestering me to intervene with a GM who has blocked him on Facebook. He is also pestering me for ignoring him. I am largely ignoring everyone so it is nothing personal. At some point, I will probably sign on to Facebook and figure out how to block him.

Don brought up the Vernon Howard themaswot rule without realizing it.

THE POWER OF THEMASWOT by Vernon Howard

How many times have you found yourself involved with a person or
    event only to later regret it? This exercise keeps you out of
    trouble in the first place.

The whole idea is for you to be on guard against invitations and
    suggestions that look like fun at first but which turn out to be
    painful traps. A person will get you involved in something, then
    suddenly lose interest in it, leaving you with the responsibilities
    and even the debts...

Employ the power of Themaswot. This special word was created to
    help you recognize a trap when meeting one....

Themaswot means, 'Themaswot makes the suggestions are the ones who
    must do the work, make the decisions and pay the money.'...

Quote Originally Posted by Don Parakin View Post
    Congratulations, Lloyd, you are now the CFC's new Chief Editor and Journalist heading a staff of zero.

As CFC's only journalist, you will track down stories like Shawn's recent win, you will write up the story, and you will submit it on a timely basis (within 24 hours in the case of Shawn's story). As the CFC's only editor, you will deal with issues like the following: two photos from the 2022 WYCC were sent in by Christina and briefly published on the chess.ca home page until a complaint was received from Victoria that these photos were from her website and photographer and need attribution. My unstated policy has been I only published photos donated without needing attribution (takes work to obtain; takes up limited room on the web page for something few care about). That was my policy as a non-professional editor/journalist. You should devise your own policy as an official editor/journalist role.

As CFC webmaster, I've been hoping to not repeat another experience I had. For 19 years, I was webmaster for another non-profit. In hindsight, only maybe 10% of my unpaid volunteered time was spent on the technical aspects of running a website. The other 90% was acting as the default editor/journalist. I spent many many hours running around trying to extract complete & accurate info from other people then writing up a coherent article for publishing on the website. Often this would be for content that just a few would read and then forget (but complain if it wasn't there). When chess.ca completely succumbed to viruses in 2020, I volunteered to get it back up & running mainly for its core essential functions (upcoming events list, ratings) and hoped to avoid as much editor/journalist work as possible.

I desperately do not want to become CFC's only editor/journalist by default so I am so glad you're now on board. You now own a few issues I've been procrastinating on. For example, there are about 1,100 web page still to be migrated from the old (Drupal) website. Most of these most people won't care about or read, but you'll need to make an editorial decision anyways. About 500 of those pages are biographies of chess players, organizers, etc. These have not been maintained since around 2010 so you will need to update these: for existing biographies, research and add new accomplishments; for new people after 2010, identify who should have a biography entry and create new biographies from them. Or, you can make a decision not to publish these out-of-date biographies. It'll be your decision (so glad to have you on board).

After you have spent several 100 hours of unpaid volunteer time as editor/journalist, you'll be in a great position to answer your own question re why isn't X posted on the website yet.
    First, thank you for all your work Don. I get it as I've been the volunteer coordinator for another organization for which I coordinate approximately 60 volunteers year-round. I didn't realize this work was being done by a volunteer. Thank you again for doing this, your work is much appreciated and obviously previously mis-understood (at least by me).

Thanks everyone for the thanks (and LOL for the "Themaswot"). I've enjoyed the techie work especially since the original need was great. Image where the CFC would be now if for the last 2 years we did not have an upcoming events list and published ratings. Behind the scenes there's been other enjoyable techie work such as integrating the membership, ratings, and website systems so that data flows between them. Upcoming, Bob & I are looking at options to improve membership management (and save Bob's time). The ratings program is 25+ years old and needs an upgrade. Also, an upgraded accounting system could allow further time-saving automation as well as instant financial reports. These are all things I find interesting.

What isn't so interesting, for me at least, is the "Content Hairball" problem. This is both a past & future problem. The past content consists of 1,100 web pages not yet migrated from the old (Drupal) chess.ca. Much of this is either out-of-date so needs to either be updated or discarded. Much of this is also content that few people will read (so the motivation to work on it is low). Essential content, such as the CFC Handbook, has been migrated. The future content is how to set things up so editor/journalist work can be done without the webmaster falling (again) into the trap of becoming the default editor/journalist. This is something I'm investigating now (after 2 years of procrastination; thanks for your patience).

Finally, thanks to Lloyd for accepting with grace my over-reaction to his comment. A very hectic week, a larger than usual glass of cognac, and the timing that I'm right now thinking about the content hairball problem may all have contributed to that.

Blog Entries

Hi Don,

We really appreciate what you have done for the CFC as without you we probably would have continued to have the chaos that reigned before your arrival as webmaster and tech guru. Don just helped me to get the new logo translated to eps format for the Sport Tourism Canada expo in Edmonton in November where we make the contacts that have allowed the last few flagship events like CYCC, Canadian Open, NAYCC and Canadian Closed to happen without the organizers losing tons of money.

I ignore the "Themaswot" rule constantly. In fact that is how I and the Windsor group that included Christina Tao wound up organizing CYCC, Canadian Open and NAYCC in 2016. It does help you to temper your enthusiasm for new projects. If you don't have the volunteers then you really have to evaluate whether realistically a project has legs.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123