Quote Originally Posted by Don Parakin View Post
I would suggest a gentler reaction since we do like what they are doing. I would not want them to believe they must say something like they are "A private community for parents of children and youth involved with an organization that cannot be named". When I look at their FB page, I don't see it trying to appear to be an official CFC group. It's more like a Honda Civic owners forum that obviously is not an official Honda channel. I think what they have is okay: they clearly state they are just "for parents of children and youth in the CFC" and nothing "we are an official CFC group" (unless I missed something in all their pages). But if we absolutely must, I would suggest asking them to just add a statement that their FB group is independent of the CFC.

UPDATE: I just read more of their page. At the bottom, it has the disclaimer: "The group is parent led. Moderators or members may or may not reflect the views of the Chess Federation of Canada". Is that not sufficient?
I think it is. We really should not be heavy handed in such cases as groups like this is likely where we can look for future voting members, organizers and CFC officials. They are our allies (they want us to succeed so that their kids can succeed) and also the canary in the coal mine which tell us about problems we might be having early on. As I mentioned, every youth coordinator in recent memory was also a chess parent who crossed over to help the CFC improve its youth programs. I am here as CFC president because I was concerned about the youth portfolio as a chess instructor and coach of mostly youth players. It was the impetus of stepping forward at the Canadian Closed in 2011 to volunteer to be Masters representative when no one else was interested.

The main limitation on the CFC is in the number of volunteers willing and able to help.