Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6.4 Nominations for the National Appeals Committee

Default 6.4 Nominations for the National Appeals Committee

The National Appeals Committee is a board of 5 senior tournament directors which meets as needed (some years it does not meet at all) to serve as the "Supreme Court" on tournament disputes. Many members of this committee are FIDE International Arbiters though this is not a requirement to serve on the committee.

When there is a dispute requiring resolution by the NAC the members convene, are presented the facts of the case and after considerable discussion prepare their responses individually. These are summarized by the Committee chair and released publicly.

Speaking personally, as a past member of this committee (and International Arbiter) I found my role a challenging but highly educational position that would appeal to senior tournament directors. I definitely feel the sort of discussions the NAC held made me a better director and arbiter.

Members of the 2021-2022 National Appeal were Ilia Bluvshtein, Pierre Dénommée, Mark Dutton, Aris Marghetis, Stephen Wright

Please post nominations for the National Appeals Committee here.

I nominate Ilia Bluvshtein for the National Appeals Committee
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

I am willing to continue serving on the National Appeals Committee.

I'm unsure whether this suffices, or whether I need to be nominated.

Thank you, kind regards, Aris Marghetis.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
    I am willing to continue serving on the National Appeals Committee.

I'm unsure whether this suffices, or whether I need to be nominated.

Thank you, kind regards, Aris Marghetis.
    That is sufficient. I second your nomination even though it is not necessary.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Barron View Post
    I nominate Ilia Bluvshtein for the National Appeals Committee

I second Ilia's nomination.

Thanks Vlad. May I nominate all of the other current members of the National Appeals Committee, or would I be somehow restricted with such nominations?

I accept the nomination, thanks.

Much as I'm sure our nominees appreciate our support, nominations are not motions and seconders are not needed. What IS needed is consent of the nominee.

To Aris:
    I'm pretty sure procedurally while you can name more than one person in a nomination you do actually have to name them.

The rules in online meetings are as similar to in person meetings as possible and in an in-person meeting someone nominating stands and says "I nominate John Doe for <position>". If the nominator stays standing he/she can then nominate somebody else - when he/she sits they give the floor back to the chair. The equivalent to this in the online world is hitting "send"

I'm not aware there are any official Roberts Rules etc for online meetings but that's how one of the other groups I belong to which use online meetings does it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Craver View Post
    To Aris:
    I'm pretty sure procedurally while you can name more than one person in a nomination you do actually have to name them.

The rules in online meetings are as similar to in person meetings as possible and in an in-person meeting someone nominating stands and says "I nominate John Doe for <position>". If the nominator stays standing he/she can then nominate somebody else - when he/she sits they give the floor back to the chair. The equivalent to this in the online world is hitting "send"

I'm not aware there are any official Roberts Rules etc for online meetings but that's how one of the other groups I belong to which use online meetings does it.
    As Ilia has been nominated and accepted, that leaves:
    Pierre Denommee, Mark Dutton, and Stephen Wright;
    so I hereby nominate all three to continue on the NAC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast