Thread: 7. Closing Comments by Chair

Default 7. Closing Comments by Chair

(this section is for our 2021-2022 President Vlad Drkulec closing comments)

Blog Entries

I would like to thank everyone that participated in this meeting. These comments might have been posted earlier but we had at least a brief outage for maintenance. We probably need to shorten these meetings a bit.

As noted elsewhere on the forums and by Richard Berube in these meetings, Canada has produced another world champion in Shawn Rodrigue-Lemieux who won in the U18 Open at WYCC. I think this is the fourth world champion in the last decade or so at WYCC or WCCC. Shawn has capped off a remarkable year and has even played 1.a3 on the way to his victory in Romania. I can't wait to hear more from him about his victory and hope that he continues to have the magical 2022 that he has had up to now maybe capping it off soon with a GM title. He has one of the three required norms from this WYCC tournament. Congratulations, Shawn!

For the CFC, I think we are on the road to recovery from the Covid pandemic and hope to see more Canadians playing in over the board chess tournaments in the coming months and year. Despite not qualifying for Covid relief we seem to have weathered the storm. Covid is still with us but it is not the show stopper that it was earlier before we learned how to deal with it. The financials were better than I expected with a small deficit which will hopefully disappear in the next year as more people return to over the board play.

This meeting of the voting members is closed. We will begin closing all threads.