Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4. Executive and Officer reports

Quote Originally Posted by ian findlay View Post
    Chess for Life was started in Lethbridge AB a few years ago, where I believe it was quite successful. They are now trying to start it in Edmonton. See ACA website homepage at http://www.albertachess.org/home/ for more details. I think it is a great idea.
    Yes! I am in contact with Lance Grigg and have had some contacts with Alberta Chief provincial courts. Amazing judge! Would love input from every province.

Blog Entries

4M Treasurer's Report

Normally I like to break down the Financial Statement into a simple in and out and will do that if it is posted before the end of the meeting.

As Treasurer, I have to weigh each request for funding and try and give the best advice as possible, considering we have been operating with uncertain revenue for the past 2+ years.

Fred

Continue...

4. Late withdrawal.

A very late (just 8 days before the departure) withdrawal created a lot of problems and could potentially jeopardize the entire campaign. I still feel sorry for Rachel and her mom as they couldn't attend the Olympiad. Q.Zhou herself played many times in Olympiad, the first one was in 2014 (Norway) and Qiyu was just 14 years old - exactly the same age for Rachel this year.

In my opinion, there is a huge difference between withdraw 6 weeks before the departure and just 1 week. Some players (A.Botez, T.R-R) changed their mind about 1.5-2 months before the start of the tournament. We were able to find a substitution very fast almost without extra problem/expenses.

Sending team of 4 is very risky, especially nowadays with COVID rules. We got lucky that everything was smooth enough for all 4 players of Women Team. Just for example, Austrian Women Team started many matches with 0-1 as a result of COVID for 2 players. They stayed at the same hotel with us in Chennai.

I don't want to consider some sanctions against a player who withdrew very late, but somehow CFC should protect our effort, our money and our reputation. Last Olympiad (2018) in was a similar situation with A.Lesiege, that time we solved the problem thanks to fast response by E.Bareev and easier travel requirements to Batumi.

5. Bonus for young players.

Probably, some VMs remember discussion about qualification rules for Olympic Teams in 2016. Our proposal (Fred and me) to grant a bonus of 5 rating points/year under 23 years old player was defeated with a narrow margin. I remember that time I was generally satisfied that VMs accepted other proposals, but honestly, that one was no-brainer for me. Unfortunately, some concerns about discrimination of older players played an important role in the voting.

In Chennai I talked a few times with GM G.Szabo who was a Romanian Team captain. Actually, Romania accepted his proposals about Qualification Rules, and he told me that he was inspired by our proposals from 2016. They also have 20 bonus points for 2nd place in Closed, 10 points for the 3rd and 5 points/year for U25 players.

Accepting this rule would have been allowed Shawn R.-L. to play in India. A very good example for the positive impact of this rule. Shawn became a World Champion U18 just 1 month after Olympiad, his rating now is around 2470 - more than enough for Canadian Team.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Plotkin View Post
    Continue...

Probably, some VMs remember discussion about qualification rules for Olympic Teams in 2016. Our proposal (Fred and me) to grant a bonus of 5 rating points/year under 23 years old player was defeated with a narrow margin. I remember that time I was generally satisfied that VMs accepted other proposals, but honestly, that one was no-brainer for me. Unfortunately, some concerns about discrimination of older players played an important role in the voting.
    Thank you, Victor, for your report!

Maybe it's a good time to reconsider this proposal?
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Blog Entries

Default 4M Financial Statements

The attached file was received from Bob today. Please let me know if there are any simple errors, as due to time restrictions I'm posting it without the more thorough review I usually give it.

Our Revenue consists of 3 streams
    1. Memberships (I have removed life memberships as they are sent to the Chess Foundation) ---- $28,128
    2. Rating Fees (I have removed the portion paid to FIDE as they are a pass-through) -------------- $12,724
    3. Chess Foundation of Canada (We receive the interest earned on an annual basis) --------------- $11,500

Expenditures
    1. Administration & Office Expenses ----------------- $56,501
    2. FIDE Expenses (Rating fees removed) ------------ $ 3,255

Net Loss ---------- $7,404

With the reappearance of OTB tournaments, it appears we have weathered the storm and will be in the black for 2022/2023. Luckily several good years preceding Covid had allowed us to tuck away money for the 2022 Olympiad, which I'm pretty sure was the most expensive one yet.

I don't think we have a separate thread for financial discussions, so please any questions or comments, direct them here.

Fred
    Attached Files Attached Files

6. Arbiters and Olympiad.

This year Canada had 2 arbiters at Olympiad. Aris Marghetis was promoted to sector arbiter and Omar Shah served as a match arbiter. About 7 months before the Olympiad, I had a conversation with an arbiter from Quebec as he wanted to get a position of Olympic arbiter. I talked with A.Dvorkovich about him and got a positive reply. Looks like an arbiter was willing to serve in Moscow but not in Chennai and I did not hear from him since January.

Generally speaking, the earlier arbiter contacts Arbiter's Commission, the more chances for him/her to get the job. Usually, the selection process starts 8-10 months prior to Olympiad. In certain circumstances, I can help to get the job.

This year Omar was able to get it at very last moment, despite some difficulties with Indian Visa, as he was born in Pakistan which makes the Visa process even more complicated.

7. Olympiad in general.

I will provide more detailed report as a captain later, after this meeting. Now only about general impression.

It was better than I expected, as my expectations were really very low. I had too many concerns about wood, weather, medical issues, travel problems... Indians tried their best and spent a lot of money on the tournament, but some problem remained.

Organizers provided fast immigration/custom lines at Chennai airport, good and reliable transportation to/from tournament hall, more than 10 lines for security check before entering the playing hall. But they can not change the temperature from +35C, they can not change the Visa procedure, they can not change the problem with food and internet in many hotels.

We got lucky as our hotel was likely the best possible one, with good internet and no strong food issues. I talked with some USA players, L.Aronian and A.Zatonskih. They got stomach problems from the very beginning and very pour internet. Both VVIP of Olympiad, Dvorkovich and Carlsen stayed at out hotel.

Olympiad-2024 will be in Budapest, and Tashkent got Olympiad for 2026. A very interesting place, but hopefully it will be in fall as Uzbekistan usually has a very hot summer.
    Last edited by Victor Plotkin; 09-17-2022 at 10:21 PM.

J. Rating Auditor

In the past year there has been mild deflation with average ratings decreasing by 20-30 points across the board. Most of this is coming from the past 6 months as there was little OTB activity beforehand. This is somewhat of a pleasant surprise as I was expecting bigger impacts from rapidly improving juniors with little OTB for 2 years. The average deflation to date represents less than the difference between a win and a loss for most players (32 points is the difference between a W and L for those rated under 2200).

There have been a lot of good discussions in the past year with Paul Leblanc, Bob Gillanders, Don Parakin and many others. Thank you for your support. I am looking forward to the transition to my successor Ian Findlay over the next few weeks.

Blog Entries

Thank you Victor for your report. The biggest problem we had was with the Indian visa process for Canadians. I think we were a bit slow hoping that Qiyu would be able to resolve all her entanglements. We might have started Rachel Chen a week or two earlier but I am not sure that the result would have been any different. The petty bureaucracy worked very hard to prevent Canada from attending against all logic. One week before we were to fly I had made peace with the idea that we would likely not be attending the Congress as the last glimmers of hope were largely extinguished before I got an email on Tuesday opening the door a crack.

If Rachel were living in Canada, I suspect that the issues would have been able to be resolved but adding the complication of applying through the U.S. was too heavy a burden.

4F. Report from CFC Youth Coordinator

After two year of pandemic shut down on chess world, finally we are heading into a amazing year and youth chess is never better than this year.

1. World Cadet & Youth Rapid and Blitz Chess Championships, April 30 - May 4, 2022 at Rhodes, Greece. We had two players travelled to Greece and coming home with great results.
    • Modith Mutyalapati finished 2nd place with 8/9 points
    • Sarthak Deshpande finished with 5th place with 6.5/9 points

2. Pan-American Youth Rapid&Blitz Online Chess Championship, May 21&22, June 4, 2022. We had 8 players attended this event, with great achievements from
    • U10 Open : 2nd place Daniel Joshua Lee (CAN)
    • U12 Open: 1st place Jifan Zhao (CAN)
    • U14 Open: 2nd place Emanuel Kot (CAN) and 3rd place Jonath Joseph (CAN)
    • U16 Open: 2nd place Adrien Cheng (CAN)
    In overall, Team Canada finished the 2nd place in the country ranking

3. IRT Hybrid Americas League Sub-2400 Divisions U2400, U1800, and U1400, Jun 4 & 5, 2022 Markham ON. I successfully run the first Hybrid tournament link to American countries. We had 9 players joined in that event. This will open a new way of linking Canadian chess players to other countries in Hybrid format.

4. World School Chess championship Jun 10-19, 2022 in Panama city, Panama. We had three players(U11G Marie Guan, U11O Arun Mendes and U13O Johnathan Han) travelled to this event with two Champions coming home.
    • U11O Champion Arun Mendes
    • U13O Champion Johnathan Han

5. XXXII Pan-American Youth Chess championship, Jun 25-July2,2022 Montevideo, Uruguay. We had a team of 10 players from all provinces to attend this event in person. With an undefeated performance of 7.5/9 Rachel Chen coming home with 1st place winner. It was very blessed the team was greeting by ambassador Isabelle Valois.

6. North American Youth Chess Championship Aug 10-14, 2022 in Calgary Alberta. This is a recording year, with 407 players from Canada, USA and Mexico attended in this event. I had also travelled to NAYCC and gave out presentation to education parents. It is so important to bring CFC background and our work to the west coast players and their parents.

7. FIDE World Youth Chess Championship Sept 5-17, 2022 in Mamaia, City of Constanta, Romania. We had a team of 14 players travelled to this event. With the most exciting and intensive tournament, U18O Shawn Rodrigue-Lemieux came home with World Champion title.

8. FIDE World Cadets Chess Championship Sept 15-28,2022 Batumi Georgia. We had a team of 12 players playing in this event. It is still on going as I report this event.

9. FIDE Youth U-16 Chess Olympiad, Oct 1- 11, 2022 Nakhchivan, Azerbaijan. We just form a Team of 4 players, they will travel out soon.

Christina
    CFC Youth Coordinator
    Last edited by Christina Tao; 09-18-2022 at 04:35 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12