Thread: 2022 Banff Open Nov 11-13

Default 2022 Banff Open Nov 11-13

Entries are open for the 2022 Banff Open, Nov 11-13. You may enter here http://www.albertachess.org/home/2022-banff-open/

Last year this tournament was won by IM Mark Plotkin, ahead of GM Joel Benjamin. This will be the 6th Banff Open organized by myself. Sadly, as I am moving back to Toronto in March 2023, this will be the last one I organize, so I encourage anyone who has not played here yet, sign up. The views from the playing site of the mountains are beyond compare. Entries will be limited to 120 players. There are no COVID restrictions this year.

I am delighted to announce the participation of GM John Fedorowicz to the 2022 Banff Open. Quoting from the World Chess Hall of Fame website 'Both before and after attaining the GM title in 1986, Fedorowicz was considered a force in American chess, taking the U.S. Open in 1980, the New York Open in 1989, the National Open in 1992, and qualifying for the U.S. Championship numerous times. He is also the winner of five World Open titles and has many international victories to his credit, including Cannes and Sesimbra in 1987 and Wijk aan Zee in 1990. He was inducted to the World Chess Hall of Fame in 2009.

IM Brian Hartman has also entered, who was featured recently in the Cecil Rosner's online Globe and Mail article. https://www.theglobeandmail.com/life...at-becoming-a/

IM Mark Ginsburg, a two time winner of the Banff Open has just entered! Dr. Mark Ginsburg received his International Master title in 1982. He won the Manhattan Chess Club Championship twice, in 1988 and 1990. His peak rating was 2578 in 1992, putting him 28th in the USA. His specialty is opening innovation and Mark loves to play in Canada.

I am saddened to announce the withdrawal of GM John Fedorowicz for personal reasons, but I am delighted to announce the participation of GM Nick de Firmian, who received the FIDE title of Grandmaster (GM) in 1985. He is a three-time U.S. chess champion, winning in 1987 (with Joel Benjamin), 1995, and 1998. He also tied for first in 2002, but Larry Christiansen won the playoff. He is also a chess writer, most famous for his work in writing the 13th, 14th, and 15th editions of the important chess opening treatise Modern Chess Openings.[1] He was born in Fresno, California.
    He has represented the United States at several Interzonals and played on the United States Olympiad teams of 1980, 1984, 1986, 1988, 1990, 1996, 1998, and 2000.[2] De Firmian earned the International Master title in 1979 and the GM title in 1985. He won the 1983 Canadian Open Chess Championship. In 1986, he won the World Open and the first prize of $21,000, at that time a record for a Swiss system tournament.

So far there are 50 advanced entries. After we receive 120, we will start a waiting list.

There are currently 79 advanced entries. We should hit our maximum120 in mid September, then there will be a waiting list.

As of Sept 4, we are up to 95 entries. We should hit our maximum of 120 in a couple of weeks, when I will start a waiting list. Hotel rooms are limited and are nearly sold out.

The Banff Open now has a FB page. https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100087532154345 We will post updates, pictures, games, etc. We have 127 entries including GM Nick de Firmian. Sadly IM Mark Ginsburg and Brian Hartman have withdrawn for personal reasons.

It was an unexpected finish to the tournament when Shirzod Khodjimatov defeated GM Nick De Firmian in the 5th round. However, Shirzod too became a victim in the 6th round, when he lost to CM Rafael Arruebarrena, the ACA president from Edmonton. This created a four way tie for first place between GM Nick de Firmian, Rafael Sherzod Khodjimatov and Leo Lin a 13 year old chess talent. GM Nick de Firmian went on to beat Rafael Arruebarrena in the Armegeddon final. To see the videos and more pictures of this event, visit the Banff Chess Open 2022 FB page. https://www.facebook.com/chessinbanf...12720298883741

Senator Karen Sorensen give this nice shoutout to chess in the Bow Valley. Senator Sorensen used to be the Mayor of Banff and has supported the Banff Open since it's inception, attending the Banff Open Chess party in 2016 at my house and also endorsing our tournament for its FIDE grant which it received in 2021. Thank you Karen.
    https://www.facebook.com/ian.findlay...eric&ref=notif

Most of the games from the top section of the 2022 Banff Open will be appearing in Hugh Brodie's next update of his Canbase Database. Thank you Hugh and especially his faithful helper, Luc Gauthier, who entered most of the games.
    Last edited by Ian Findlay; Today, 04:16 PM.