Thread: No quarterly meeting

Blog Entries

Default No quarterly meeting

There will be no spring or summer quarterly meeting of the voting members. The last gasp possibility was a shortened meeting from July 21 to 23.

Health issues of my father kept me very busy for the last month or so and will keep me busy for a while longer and hospital visits while scheduled for an hour or two, never seem to work out to be less than seven or eight hours.

Due to Bob Gillanders being part of the organizing team of the CYCC/Canadian Open (which is going very well from a numbers perspective) he didn't think he could get the financials ready on this time frame without undue stress.

Further Victor Plotkin and Nikolay Noritsyn should be concentrating on getting ready for the Olympiad rather than dealing with a meeting.

Registering the Olympiad teams was much more work than expected.

AGM will be held September 11-18 from Sunday to Sunday.

Our current financial situation is looking much better than the last two years as chess tournaments are returning and memberships are flowing in. The Olympiad is going to be the most expensive we have ever had. This is offset by the fact that we had put away $25,000 for the 2020 Olympiad that didn't take place. Spending is over $40,000 already with just flight tickets with many expenses still needing to be registered. The Indian visa fees are quite expensive. It would not surprise me if the final expenses topped $50,000 which is probably double what the 2018 Olympiad cost.

FIDE has offered some significant generous subsidies of 750 euros per player, captain and delegate which will help defray some of the costs. These subsidies were not tied to any action on our part beyond showing up at the Olympiad with the registered players, captains and delegate.

Blog Entries

If there are any issues that you would like to bring up prior to the AGM, please post them here or in the English discussion threads. I am not sure how much I will be reading during the Canadian Open so post your queries soon.