Thread: 7. Closing comments

Blog Entries

Default 7. Closing comments

It was difficult to fully engage in this meeting with snow storms and deaths of family members offering unwelcome distractions. The good news is that life will slowly return to normal over the coming months and perhaps years. We can rebuild the CFC back into what it was before the pandemic struck. Despite the many things that went wrong, the conservative financial approach that we have followed over the last decade or so put us in a good position to weather this pandemic. The greatest sin in such crisis situations is running out of cash and we are not anywhere near that point. If we need to send teams to the Olympiad we can do so with the cash in the bank. We have already budgeted the bulk of the expenditure before the pandemic struck when we were looking at unexpected surpluses.

I really hope to be able to play chess over the board, in person, this year. If we can do that without any corresponding incidents of spreading Covid then we will have turned the corner and this type of pandemic will hopefully be something that we will not experience again in our lifetimes. I believe that chess in Canada and around the world will come back even stronger in the year and years to come.

For all who participated in the meeting, thank you. The next meeting will likely be in early to mid-May with the AGM at the end of August or first week of September.

Thank you everyone. Please stay safe and healthy. Take your vitamin D and zinc at a minimum and add vitamin C, Quercetin and K2 if you can. I look forward to seeing some of you at the Canadian Open in Hamilton this year. Hopefully everyone who can turn out will be at the open and women's zonals in Kingston this year.

This meeting is closed though some of the threads may remain open until we get around to closing them. I will address any posts that require my reply.

Thank you. Take care!