Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: 5A5 - DISCUSSION ITEMS - Any New Business

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    1,631

    Default 5A5 - DISCUSSION ITEMS - Any New Business

    Any new business items may be posted here. If any single item receives enough comments it may be split to a different thread to enable VMs to more easily follow the discussion

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    1,631

    Default Chess Federation of Canada - 150th Anniversary

    Members should note that September 24, 2022 is the 150th anniversary of the founding of the Chess Federation of Canada (1872-2022) and I would like to encourage provincial associations and VMs to advertise that fact in their own advertising.

    I have already inquired of FIDE how one would go about having such an announcement made on their site (which currently shows a similar announcement concerning the 50th anniversary of the Sri Lankan federation).

    Other than a large logo is there anything we especially want to feature?
    Last edited by Lyle Craver; 02-14-2022 at 04:32 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    108

    Default

    It would be nice to have a one page writeup about the founders, where the first "head office" was located, how many chess players there were in Canada at the time, how the National organization communicated with the provincial associations, what type of chess sets (height of the Kings) and size of boards were used in competitive play, the highest ranked players in Canada at the time, etc...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Tecumseh, ON
    Posts
    3,068
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Lombard View Post
    It would be nice to have a one page writeup about the founders, where the first "head office" was located, how many chess players there were in Canada at the time, how the National organization communicated with the provincial associations, what type of chess sets (height of the Kings) and size of boards were used in competitive play, the highest ranked players in Canada at the time, etc...
    Who has this information and would be willing to write it up?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    Who has this information and would be willing to write it up?
    If there are voting members who can help me with sources, I'd be willing to write it up.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Charlottetown, PE
    Posts
    2,148
    Blog Entries
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Field View Post
    If there are voting members who can help me with sources, I'd be willing to write it up.
    Stephen Wright and Hugh Brodie would be good sources.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    1,631

    Default

    Probably so would David Lavin and Jonathan Berry.

    As a starting point, there's a short historical section in the preamble to the old Handbook which is viewable on the main CFC website.

    Click >here< in Section 1 (History)
    Last edited by Lyle Craver; 02-17-2022 at 08:46 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,693

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Craver View Post
    As a starting point, there's a short historical section in the preamble to the old Handbook which is viewable on the main CFC website.

    Click >here< in Section 1 (History)
    For the book commemorating 100 years of chess in Canada (same title, the author D.Yanofsky) the extended history was written. However not that extended as Lloyd would like.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Lombard View Post
    It would be nice to have a one page writeup about the founders, where the first "head office" was located, how many chess players there were in Canada at the time, how the National organization communicated with the provincial associations, what type of chess sets (height of the Kings) and size of boards were used in competitive play, the highest ranked players in Canada at the time, etc...
    .*-1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •