Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4. Reports

Default 4. Reports

4. Reports (Executive members and Officers please post your reports here - labelling them 4A, 4B, 4C etc in your message title)

A. President
    B. Vice President
    C. Secretary
    D. Woman’s Coordinator
    E. FIDE Representative/Masters Representative
    F. Youth Coordinator
    G. Board Member at Large
    H. Board Member at Large
    I. Rating Auditor
    J. Chess Foundation of Canada
    K. Kalev Pugi Fund
    L. Treasurer
    M. Executive Director: Financial Report

4.J. Chess Foundation of Canada
    Nothing special to report. $450k under management, forecast contribution to the CFC for this fy about $14,500.
    If you are updating your will, remember the Chess Foundation.
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer, Chess Foundation of Canada
    CFC Voting Member

4M. Executive Directors Report

After almost 2 years of the pandemic, it looks like the end is near. Ontario is just announcing lifting of restrictions which should see an expanding of OTB chess. Alberta has been playing OTB chess since last summer, BC since the fall of 2021, and temporary openings in other provinces. But I think all of Canada will see a return of OTB chess as 2022 rolls out, fingers crossed.

The CFC has weathered the storm very well financially. The pre pandemic rise in memberships over several years gave us a strong balance sheet going in. We expect to post a loss of 20k-25k for fiscal 2022. Our current bank balance of 86k should see us through the balance of COVID19.

The Canadian Open and CYCC for 2022, barring a return of pandemic shutdown will be held in Hamilton, Ontario in July. The dates have been posted on the upcoming events page for some time now, details and registration links will follow very soon.

A few comments about our new Go (Just Go) membership management system.

1. Go membership have undergone a rebranding effort. They are now known as Just Go.

2. Existing members creating new accounts is still happening, but less frequently. If you have a CFC number, a Just Go account has been setup for you. To access your account first time, use your CFC number as your username, click on “forgot my password”. If you don’t receive a password reset email within 5 minutes, it is because your email is not in the database. Email the CFC office for help. If you do create a second account for yourself, email the CFC office for help.

3. If you have renewed your membership recently but did not receive a full year, please email the CFC office for help. It seems the system has done this in a few cases. We are following up with Just Go to fix this glitch. The Just Go system does struggle to accommodate our non-continuous membership option. To illustrate, if your expiry date was Dec 1, 2021 and you were to renew today, February 14, 2022, your new expiry date should be February 28, 2023 not Dec 1, 2022.

4. The new system has an automatic annual renewal option. Some members appreciate this option, but others may have selected it by accident. If you were not ready to renew, simply email the CFC office for a refund.

5. For any other issues or difficulties with the new system, just email the CFC office.

I look forward to seeing everyone unmasked over the board soon.

4D. Woman’s Coordinator

Hello dear Voting Members,

In order to prepare for the upcoming Olympiad 2022 in Moscow and given the current COVID-19 situation along with lack of tournaments, we revised criteria of selection players to the Women's National Team. The revised criteria was approved by the Executive Board. It includes extension of the 20-games rule timeframe and counting games of official online events.

I’m also posting lists of candidates for the Women's National Team on a monthly basis as part of the preparation for the Olympiad 2022.

I hope that we’ll be able to hold Canadian Women Closed this year and finally play over the board.

Best regards,
    Oksana Golubeva
    Woman's Coordinator
    Executive Board

Dear Oksana (and whole CFC Executive), I propose that we run the Canadian Women Closed as part of Kingston Easter Chess (KEC).

[KEC is built around the Canadian Closed/Zonal; and complemented by sectionals (U2200/U1900/U1600)]

If yes, then let's start planning any specifics for such a section, such as registration requirements, winners' travel subsidies, and so on.

Thank you, kind regards, Aris Marghetis (arismarghetis at rogers dot com)
    Last edited by Aris Marghetis; 02-16-2022 at 01:56 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
    Dear Oksana (and whole CFC Executive), I propose that we run the Canadian Women Closed as part of Kingston Easter Chess (KEC).

[KEC is built around the Canadian Closed/Zonal; and complemented by sectionals (U2200/U1900/U1600)]

If yes, then let's start planning any specifics for such a section, such as registration requirements, winners' travel subsidies, and so on.

Thank you, kind regards, Aris Marghetis (arismarghetis at rogers dot com)
    My understanding was that that was the intention all along as Kingston was awarded the Canadian Closed and Canadian Women's Closed for a period of four years (only one of which has been held to date because of Covid interruptions).

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    My understanding was that that was the intention all along as Kingston was awarded the Canadian Closed and Canadian Women's Closed for a period of four years (only one of which has been held to date because of Covid interruptions).
    Yes, mine too, glad to make sure! I met with Kingston Tourism today, and it was quite good news. We already have one hotel proposal at lower prices than their 2019 offer, and I'm meeting with another hotel tomorrow morning. After that, working with especially Victor and Oksana, we'll be able to open registrations soon!

I must say, returning to "big OTB" is so exciting!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
    Yes, mine too, glad to make sure! I met with Kingston Tourism today, and it was quite good news. We already have one hotel proposal at lower prices than their 2019 offer, and I'm meeting with another hotel tomorrow morning. After that, working with especially Victor and Oksana, we'll be able to open registrations soon!

I must say, returning to "big OTB" is so exciting!!
    Doug Ford today echoed what a lot of Canadians have been saying about being so over COVID.

Doug Ford is a politician facing an election battle within the next 6 months. While I'm sure he genuinely wants healthy Ontarians, getting reelected will never be far from his mind.

What any of this has to do with reports from CFC officers is beyond me.

Post 4I Rating Auditor Report

4I Rating Auditor Report

There has been a modest number of OTB regular-rated tournaments in recent months. The TDs of these tournaments have been proactive in bringing cases of underrated juniors to the attention of Bob Gillanders and myself. In most cases, we simply pointed out that the player in question already received bonuses under the Covid-19 Incentive. In a few extenuating cases involving very young and low-rated players, their rating was reset to USCF (if they were active in US tournaments recently) or Unrated.

At present, there is not enough activity to assess the potential rating deflation from the pandemic, although the number of OTB tournaments is expected to increase significantly in the next few months with Ontario and Quebec easing restrictions and capacity limits.

My primary focus in the near future will be monitoring rating deflation and planning for the next CFC rating database migration. The hope is that the migration will happen in the next year or two, and will allow us to track more data and potentially improve the user experience in the CFC rating lookup. I have been building an inventory of ideas and would be happy to discuss suggestions by e-mail.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast