Thread: 2. Opening Comments of Chair

Default 2. Opening Comments of Chair

Friends - this thread is for our president's opening comments

Blog Entries

I would like to welcome all the voting members to this February meeting of the voting members.

It is with sadness that I have to report that CFC Youth Coordinator Christina Tao lost her father in the last few days. We offer our deep condolences to Christina, husband Ed, and daughters and chessplayers Rachel, Ellen and Kaitlyn and the rest of Christina's family. It is difficult to lose a parent or a grandparent. We ask those of you who pray to offer prayers for the family to help them through these trying times.

This has been a difficult two years because of COVID but there are signs that the worst is over and things may gradually be moving back to normal. Covid appears to be moving from a pandemic to an endemic infection like colds or the flu. There may be some additional flare-ups and new variants but for those who are younger than 70 and don't have underlying conditions covid is more an inconvenience than a dangerous health concern. Soon governments and health authorities will have to accept this reality.

While we have endured shut-downs and delayed and cancelled tournaments, we have continued to talk to tourism bureaus and local organizers to ensure that when things do open up, the CFC will be ready. We have expanded our contacts with FIDE on a wide variety of fronts. Victor Plotkin is likely in Mexico at the moment meeting with the FIDE planning and development commission and also much of FIDE management including President Arkady Dvorkovich.

Last week we had two meetings with chess.com about closer cooperation between the CFC and chess.com. We continue to pursue contacts in the media, and various chess platforms. Cecil Rosner has launched an online column on chess at the Globe and Mail. We have done what we can to help connect him to some of our top Canadian players. There is much to discuss.

Without further ado let us open the meeting.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 02-13-2022 at 12:55 AM.

Blog Entries

Unfortunately my elderly uncle passed away at 3 am this morning. One of the under-reported side effects of COVID is that it has exposed a rather shaky health care system in Canada to more strain. I may not be as available every day this week as I had planned so please be patient if I am slow to respond, particularly on Wednesday and Thursday when there will be visitation and a funeral.

Vlad, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Take care.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lo View Post
    Vlad, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Take care.
    Thank you. He was 89 and lived a full life. It was his time. He had health issues in his last years which required nursing home care.

+1 to that for sure!