Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2022 Kingston Easter Chess (KEC) updates

Default 2022 Kingston Easter Chess (KEC) updates

Queen's University in Kingston, Ont. has told staff and faculty that all courses will be delivered remotely until the end of February.

Hello everyone, so we're now more hopeful than ever for the return of KEC in 2022! I have meetings with hotels and tourism folk in the coming weeks. The plan is to be as sure as feasible before collecting people's money (as we learned from the 2020 cancellation surprise) - In the coming week, we really need to hear from:

Anyone who wants to play in both the Reykjavík Open and at KEC! I really need to know your earliest probable arrival time in Kingston. I need to know this soon, as it will help determine the KEC schedule. Please email me directly (arismarghetis at rogers dot com). If I don't hear from you, travel schedules might not mesh?

Thank you, best regards, Aris Marghetis.

Quote Originally Posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
    Hello everyone, so we're now more hopeful than ever for the return of KEC in 2022! I have meetings with hotels and tourism folk in the coming weeks. The plan is to be as sure as feasible before collecting people's money (as we learned from the 2020 cancellation surprise) - In the coming week, we really need to hear from:

Anyone who wants to play in both the Reykjavík Open and at KEC! I really need to know your earliest probable arrival time in Kingston. I need to know this soon, as it will help determine the KEC schedule. Please email me directly (arismarghetis at rogers dot com). If I don't hear from you, travel schedules might not mesh?

Thank you, best regards, Aris Marghetis.
    Hello again, we have only heard from two people.
    Which is ok, unless there's more of you involved.

Expect the event announcement as of February 21st.
    Which is when Ontario plans lifting more restrictions.

Thank you, kind regards, arismarghetis at rogers dot com

GOOD NEWS!!

Here's a distilled summary of today's Ontario announcements as they apply to us:

effective February 17th: WITH vaccination requirements on a "meeting and event space" (read playing hall), no more capacity limits
    effective March 1st: same as above, except without vaccination requirements (but note that "landlord" may continue requirements)

masking requirements TBD "at this time"

April 13th-18th, 2022
    9 full time-control rounds

details in coming days
    registrations open soon

Quote Originally Posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
    April 13th-18th, 2022
    9 full time-control rounds

details in coming days
    registrations open soon
    some quick details today:
    - returning to same hotel
    - rooms only $100 (+ taxes, etc.)
    - including free parking and good breakfasts!

more details soon (there's a LOT being organized in a compressed timeline!)
    hoping to officially open registrations by March 1st (Ontario ends mandates)

5 sections:
    - both Zonal & Women Zonal (FIDE Delegate to announce exciting details soon)
    - U2200/U1900/U1600 = again each with a minimum first place prize of $1000!

from ChessTalk thread:

The schedule will be 1-2-2-1-2-1 rounds on April 13th-18th.
    That means a more enjoyable last day, returning home, etc.
    May the waterfront be gorgeous on the 1-round Saturday!
    And we're also looking at lecture, simul, etc. possibilities.
    N.B. 1/2-point byes available for the Unnnn Sectionals.

The official event announcement will hopefully be issued this week. Some of you have been emailing me, and I of course understand we all really want to plan, also family and friends. There's still many details, including prize fund dependence on evolving funding agreements, better-automated room-booking mechanisms, and yes, tragically unfortunately, the invasion of Ukraine is causing understandable delays in finalizing the conditions and prizes of especially both Zonal sections.

For now, here's a composite list of things people have asked me about in emails:

- April 13th-18th, 2022; 9 full time-control rounds
    - schedule of 1-2-2-1-2-1 rounds on April 13th-18th
    - so a more enjoyable last day, returning home, etc.
    (may the waterfront be gorgeous on the 1-round Saturday)
    (and we're also looking at lecture, simul, etc. possibilities)
    (N.B. 1/2-point byes available for the Unnnn Sectionals)

- returning to same hotel
    - double-Queen bed rooms, only $100 (+ taxes, etc.) [LESS than in 2019!]
    - including free parking and good breakfasts (for everyone staying in room!)

5 sections:
    - both Zonal & Women Zonal (FIDE Delegate to announce exciting details soon)
    - U2200/U1900/U1600 = again each with a minimum first place prize of $1000!

Thank you for your patience, and believe me, you can trust that this is happening!

Hi Aris:

This is all very good news. I will try to attend this year. I was going to attend in 2020 but then the world turned upside down. (And just when it's starting to get back on its feet, it gets turned upside down again but in a different way.)

Steve

P.S. For others reading: the 2019 tournament was excellent. I always like the opportunity to stay in the same hotel where the event is taking place. It makes it much easier for the down-time between rounds. The hotel was downtown near the waterfront. There were restaurants and bars in the area within walking distance (there was a Keg kitty-corner to the hotel and a bar just down the street with a bunch of local brews and wings). There are touristy things in the area too.

The tournament was held on the second floor of the hotel and the entire second floor of the hotel was essentially reserved for the tournament with a small lounge serving as a skittles room. The breakfast was a buffet-style but it was above average with the items being changed-up every day.

I don't know what Aris is planning this year and I don't know how much the area has changed due to time/covid, and of course some touristy venues might not be available. But since it's at the same hotel, and since Aris is a meticulous organizer, I am looking forward to this event.

There were only four complaints I had about the 2019 event (other than my pathetic play). So take notes Aris:

1. The hotel became sloppy with keeping the water jugs in the foyer of the tournament floor filled.
    2. It would have been nice to have the lounge/skittles room staffed for certain periods. I know that you could call the front desk/room service to order something, but that service was really slow.
    3. (I can't remember what #3 was.)
    4. It rained all weekend. The only time it was sunny was the afternoon of arrival day and the afternoon of departure day.

If the above sounds like nitpicking, it is. But Aris, if you can do something about the weather....

PPS. One last note, IIRC correctly, to get the hotel rate, etc. in 2019, you had to register through Aris. So everybody be patient until he announces things.

Thanks Steve, I fondly remember your great sense of humour!

Some quick points (just taking a break to stream them here):

- Saturday daytime can be touristy stuff or GMy activities (TBD)
    - hotel rooms will cost LESS than in 2019
    - just finalized other room formats for same new low price
    - breakfast included again PLUS $50 in restaurant coupons
    - same all-second-floor plus closed-circuit TV of 6+ DGTs
    - agreed about the water, and also got us coffee this year!
    - agreed about remote ordering, they say they'll be better
    - I disagree with your point #3, that never happened!
    - I'm ordering fine weather, especially for the Saturday!
    - thanks for the PS, yes, working on this hours daily lol

CAN'T WAIT!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast