Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 11.G Other Business

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
    I don't see this proposed work being productive since the provinces have different mandated precautions and they are changing frequently. Local organizers, even of national events are bound by the provincial standards.
    Well, what I'm saying is that regardless of where the event is being held, that certain MINIMUM CFC standards are implemented. Of course, if that particular jurisdiction has more elevated requirements, then they must be legally adhered to. However, for example, let's say 8 provinces have vaccine mandates, but the others don't, and the event is being held in a non-vaccine-mandate province. Having had a CFC national directive in place beforehand would sure help, wouldn't it?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Victoria Doknjas View Post
    Starting September 13 (1 dose) and then on Oct 24 (fully vaccinated), BC will require proof of vaccination to access some events, services, and businesses. I assume that chess tournaments fall under the category of "Indoor organized gatherings like weddings, parties, conferences, meetings and workshops".

Similarly, Quebec is targeting Sept 1 and will require COVID-19 vaccination passport and is expect to be used for the following non-essential activities:
    - High-risk activities with a limited number of people (gyms, team sports, bars, restaurants, etc.)
    - Moderate- or low-risk activities with bigger groups of people (arts and entertainment, festivals and major events, games at sports stadiums, etc.)

Our status is a bit more complicated than that. I don't think it is realistic to expect the CFC to be up to date on the latest rules in every province which are constantly changing and evolving often weekly or even daily. In fact, in Ontario it is the local board of health that is in charge so you are dealing with - I am not even sure how many off the top of my head - multiple authorities, depending on where you are located. The best that I have had contact with are the Peel Region Board of Health. They eventually get on the line with a human who wants to help and does help moving issues up the hierarchy and does call you back after promising to do so. The Toronto Board hung up on me three times before I even talked to a human and then once more when I did.

We do have some extra status that allows us to hold events because we are recognized by the Canadian Olympic Committee as a national sporting organization. Examining all the rules and loopholes at the level of the Canadian government, it was possible to hold for instance the Pan Am hybrid event. We could have done it in a hotel. Putting it together in one month dealing with a somewhat unreliable partner with the possibility of a local health board throwing a spanner in the works just would have stretched us too thin.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 08-25-2021 at 11:11 AM.

Blog Entries

I think it would be foolish for us to try to reinvent the wheel and maintain any such comprehensive listing of requirements. It would always be out of date. If you want to hold an event you have to research the requirements from your local health board which can change daily. For a large event, holding it in a hotel would shield you from some of the liability of things you have to complete like a covid plan (think WMIS) with significant fines if you don't comply with laws and regulations.

If I wanted to hold a large event at this time, I would research the canada.ca website which is pretty good on a national level. I would then go to the provincial website where you propose to hold the event. I would then go to the health board site for the location of the site. I would also talk to the local tourism board and the hotel where you propose to hold the event.

As a chess federation we need to look at FIDE and its guidelines and perhaps what the USCF is doing. They are holding large tournaments again.

Last 2 months, I was playing in USA (Philadelphia, World Open) and in Latvia (Riga). Masks were formally required in both locations, but only in Philadelphia arbiters were strict about this rule. In Riga 90+% of players played mask-free.

This summer, some other Canadians played in different countries in Europe (Italy, Serbia, Ukraine, Austria, Czechia ant others). Unfortunately, no big tournaments in Canada yet.
    Last edited by Victor Plotkin; 08-25-2021 at 11:56 AM.

Blog Entries

I am thinking the organizer of any Canadian Championship would agree on Covid-19 precautions with the CFC Executive, in advance of the tournament. Masks could possibly be agreed upon a few weeks beforehand, something like a vaccine requirement would need more advance notice.

The current challenge is no vaccine for the under 12 group of players.

I am very pro-vaccine, but how we would demand 12+ players get vaccines, then play someone unvaccinated?

This is an important topic, but may be constrained until a vaccine for the younger juniors and/or further guidance. Is there a reasonable trigger to encourage the board to discuss?

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    I am thinking the organizer of any Canadian Championship would agree on Covid-19 precautions with the CFC Executive, in advance of the tournament. Masks could possibly be agreed upon a few weeks beforehand, something like a vaccine requirement would need more advance notice.
    I suspect that I haven't done a good enough job yet in wording my request: I am hoping that the CFC Executive explicitly defines a minimum set of COVID-19 criteria for our national championships (which will cross multiple provincial health jurisdictions). "Minimum" implies the practical reality that some locations will entail "higher" requirements. These may be from regional health units, from provincial regulations, even perhaps the fully privately-owned playing venue. So, do people agree or disagree that this is something the CFC Executive should undertake? I offer to provide my input to such an initiative. My concern is that if the CFC does not take a leadership position, then events in provinces like Ontario might suffer from players who won't attend due to concerns their health isn't protected.

Hi,

We (FQE) are organizing a second youth OTB tournament in Quebec during pandemic time. This will be held september 5. We will asked the players to bring their Vaccination passport for players over 12 years old.
    We will used plexiglas especially designed for chess.
    See some images of the first one.

https://vimeo.com/462753187

Quote Originally Posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
    I suspect that I haven't done a good enough job yet in wording my request: I am hoping that the CFC Executive explicitly defines a minimum set of COVID-19 criteria for our national championships (which will cross multiple provincial health jurisdictions). "Minimum" implies the practical reality that some locations will entail "higher" requirements. These may be from regional health units, from provincial regulations, even perhaps the fully privately-owned playing venue. So, do people agree or disagree that this is something the CFC Executive should undertake? I offer to provide my input to such an initiative. My concern is that if the CFC does not take a leadership position, then events in provinces like Ontario might suffer from players who won't attend due to concerns their health isn't protected.
    My first reaction to this would be the CFC could either:
    1. Take the stance that its minimum set of COVID-19 criteria would be the same as the province with the strictest regulations because if CFC's stance is less than that, it would not meet the requirements of the province with the strictest regulations. However, in those provinces' with less strict regulations, what power does CFC have to enforce this (or the organizers) other than CFC refusing to CFC rate these events.
    - I am not as familiar with the current requirements in all provinces, so would chess tournament organizers have the right to mandate a stricter set of COVID-19 criteria than what their province has mandated? Likely the answer is "no", e.g., vaccine passports -- either your province has a mechanism in place for this or it doesn't.

OR

2. Take the stance that its minimum set of COVID-19 criteria is the same as what each individual chess tournament organizers' province is mandating, and refer these organizers to their local province's website, etc.

Aris: Are you asking what CFC should be mandating; or are you asking what CFC should be recommending (but know cannot legally enforce)?
    - And again, the only authority that I see that CFC has is it can refuse to CFC rate a tournament if that organizer does not adhere to CFC's mandate and/or recommendations.

Blog Entries

At the moment there are no Covid-19 restrictions in public spaces in NB. Accordingly the organizer of the NB Tornado G/60 Championship this past weekend, had an event that resembled any pre-Covid event (except for one masked player out of 28). A previous tournament one month earlier, had everyone masked.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast