Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: 11.G Other Business

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    Hopefully we will find a way to keep the people who might have lost elections to continue to be engaged with the CFC.

Thank you for the nice words.

We were told by the CCES that we are not compliant with the Canadian sports anti doping rules. What did we do to comply? Are we making progress or ignoring the issue due to excessive costs in time of pandemic?

Are we getting caught with too much caffeine in our blood samples?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Dénommée View Post
    We were told by the CCES that we are not compliant with the Canadian sports anti doping rules. What did we do to comply? Are we making progress or ignoring the issue due to excessive costs in time of pandemic?
    Strictly speaking, that is not accurate. They did not say we were non-compliant. They said that they wanted to check if we were compliant and we would need to pay for them to make that determination. What the CCES said was that they could set up an anti-doping program for our players for a price of approximately $5,000 per year to the CFC with an explicit threat that FIDE (not the CFC) could be fined by WADA or the IOC (I don't recall which as it has been a while) if we were not compliant with the testing program either through CCES or FIDE. We could also accept FIDE's program which is free. We decided to accept FIDE's program. No other anti-doping agency anywhere is proposing to charge any other chess federation to pay to set up an anti-doping program. We told FIDE about the interaction and they were unconcerned. Strictly speaking we aren't yet playing rated chess so there is nothing to test. I don't think the costs included the cost of all the tests so that might have been extra.

Accepting this program would have added about 10% to our costs in a time when revenues have plummeted.

They saw the netflix show "The Queen's Gambit" and decided to crack down on the drugs and alcohol rife in the chess community. Since the possible consequences are to FIDE and FIDE is unconcerned, we can probably wait until things are back up and running to investigate more deeply what we should do. Some of the banned substances include marijuana and more relevant to me is things like insulin and certain blood pressure medications. Coffee addicts like myself also might have found ourselves further constrained.

WADA is a very complex set of regulations which will bind players, federation officials, arbiters, trainers and everyone to a complicated set of rules. For instance as a federation official, if I am aware of someone smoking marijuana, I would be required to inform on them. Maybe I need to inform on myself for taking blood pressure medication and insulin. As with every issue there are a lot of interesting complications.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 08-29-2021 at 05:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Gordon View Post
    Are we getting caught with too much caffeine in our blood samples?
    Ritalin is more of interest because it could increase attention for everybody, not only for sick children suffering from a lack of attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    WADA is a very complex set of regulations which will bind players, federation officials, arbiters, trainers and everyone to a complicated set of rules. For instance as a federation official, if I am aware of someone smoking marijuana, I would be required to inform on them. Maybe I need to inform on myself for taking blood pressure medication and insulin. As with every issue there are a lot of interesting complications.
    There is something called therapeutic use exemptions https://www.wada-ama.org/en/what-we-...use-exemptions . It allows a person with a genuine medical need for a drug to use it without penalty.

It is an excellent news that we are not in violation. Ottawa does not subsidize our tests and cost must be taken into account. We are very late compared to other countries, but in those countries, chess is recognized as a sport and financed accordingly.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Dénommée View Post
    There is something called therapeutic use exemptions https://www.wada-ama.org/en/what-we-...use-exemptions . It allows a person with a genuine medical need for a drug to use it without penalty.

It is an excellent news that we are not in violation. Ottawa does not subsidize our tests and cost must be taken into account. We are very late compared to other countries, but in those countries, chess is recognized as a sport and financed accordingly.
    Unfortunately there is a very complicated procedure that you must follow to obtain therapeutic use exemptions which seems to me to violate human rights clauses in the Canadian constitution. Another thing that they wanted was signed contracts with every player, official, arbiter etc. which had to be renewed each year which would allow them to knock on your door and demand that you submit a urine sample under supervision. Three thousand contracts would take up a lot of room in Bob Gillanders's apartment. I don't think FIDE would be interested in potentially hundreds of thousands of such contracts. I brought this up at the FIDE meetings at the time and they said they had no intention of maintaining a warehouse of contracts. They specifically said that the e-contracts that some companies use would not be sufficient. So in addition to the many thousands of dollars per year we would have to maintain those thousands of contracts which sounds like a full time employee when you add in the requirement to chase people and parents of children to sign those contracts. It is not realistic to expect us to sign on to that type of intrusive scrutiny.

Blog Entries

On a final note about possible covid regulations, I talked to both of the currently practicing medical doctors in my family today. The advice I got was to simply tell everyone to follow provincial regulations. Some people are frustrated at my stance but it is the only way forward in the current environment.

The provincial governments are responsible for health care in Canada. We should follow their requirements and guidance. The studies that I have seen do not support washing pieces or barriers as being particularly useful in preventing transmission of the Covid virus. When the provincial governments deem it prudent to drop certain requirements, we should follow their lead. We don't have the people to maintain information about the ever changing regulations in every relevant jurisdiction. It is fairly easy to consult canada.ca and then the covid website for your province and your community.

I cannot locate any information about testing of officials. I can easily find testing of athletes of international and national level, which is very few players.

Obviously, all officials have been players previously or still play. Officials are CFC member in good standing, and as such, are allowed to play. I do hope that they exclude inactive players.

Blog Entries

When I was contacted by the individual from CCES, I looked up the WADA regulations. There are extensive documents online. It would not make sense that players would be bound by regulations and others would not. We are probably going back more than a year so I can't cite the exact clauses but I am sure I could find them again.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast