Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 11.G Other Business

Blog Entries

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/cov...igen-1.5905308

It is unlikely that chess organizers can afford private COVID testing (which would not be covered under most Canadian provincial health plans) unless we double tournament entry fees.

It is just crazy to think that we can add a whole layer of COVID regulation information and keep track of the health requirements all across Canada. What happens if the requirements change and we didn't update our website? Then someone gets COVID because they relied on our bad information.

As the old Clint Eastwood movie aphorism went, "A man's got to know his limitations." The same holds true for an organization.

In a perfect world, we would have unlimited resources and we could be all things to all people. In the real world, our resources including volunteers and employees are limited. We don't have an AI that can monitor the internet for changes in government (federal, provincial and local) COVID requirements. There are government websites that already do that for us. Consult them.

Frankly, maybe it makes sense to get a legal opinion.

If the CFC says "X" and it is too little or too much, it might not end well if someone were to take legal action.

We can recommend what one might call "best practices", but if we set a requirement, then we might be liable.
    Don Hack
    CFC Voting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Bowes View Post
    I don't agree that the CFC Executive should define a minimum set of Covid-19 criteria for national championships, which will cross multiple provincial health jurisdictions.

The CFC shouldn't place itself in a position where it will potentially be over-ruling individual provincial and territorial health authorities with respect to what pandemic protocols are needed in their province or territory.

A provincial health officer's judgment shouldn't be subject to second guessing by a non health authority like the CFC executive. Simply because other entities are applying this heavy handed policy doesn't justify it.
    I am talking about setting a MINIMUM national standard. If a provincial standard calls for more, then of course that "more" will also have to be implemented.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/cov...igen-1.5905308

It is unlikely that chess organizers can afford private COVID testing (which would not be covered under most Canadian provincial health plans) unless we double tournament entry fees.

It is just crazy to think that we can add a whole layer of COVID regulation information and keep track of the health requirements all across Canada. What happens if the requirements change and we didn't update our website? Then someone gets COVID because they relied on our bad information.

As the old Clint Eastwood movie aphorism went, "A man's got to know his limitations." The same holds true for an organization.

In a perfect world, we would have unlimited resources and we could be all things to all people. In the real world, our resources including volunteers and employees are limited. We don't have an AI that can monitor the internet for changes in government (federal, provincial and local) COVID requirements. There are government websites that already do that for us. Consult them.
    I also don't see the practicality of onsite testing, I just listed it to get more discussion going. I don't see a need to maintain any ongoing CFC-COVID "department". I am just talking about setting a MINIMUM national standard. If a provincial standard calls for more, then of course that "more" will also have to be implemented.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Hack View Post
    Frankly, maybe it makes sense to get a legal opinion.

If the CFC says "X" and it is too little or too much, it might not end well if someone were to take legal action.

We can recommend what one might call "best practices", but if we set a requirement, then we might be liable.
    Yes, I would strongly support securing a legal opinion. I would also suggest "minimum + provincial requirements" vs. something like "best practices".

So I guess this thread is fading. I don't get how minimums can "over"-rule provincial legal requirements, but more moot now, as this just announced re Ontario:

Ontario to institute vaccine passport system, sources say:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...ng_1617_306038

Quote Originally Posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
    I am talking about setting a MINIMUM national standard. If a provincial standard calls for more, then of course that "more" will also have to be implemented.
    I think there could be minimal specific chess related things: handshakes before and after the game are replaced by something; sanitizers every x table; pairing announcements to reduce crowds; separation screens;etc.

Also that shall not be to restrictive as no one will be interested to organize or play OTB.
    .*-1

I was thinking more along the lines of some other sports that are already planning for mandatory vaccinations for anyone at the playing location. Moot point now.

Blog Entries

The kids 12 years and under are a significant number of our players. They can't be vaccinated currently and possibly for the forseeable future. There are some serious ethical questions surrounding vaccinating young people as most studies show they don't spread the disease and if they get the disease unless they have underlying conditions, they can just shrug it off. You are more likely to catch covid from a fully vaccinated adult with underlying conditions than an 8 year old kid.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 08-28-2021 at 12:57 PM.

The only requirement an organization can impose is proof of negative result’s testing done within 72 hours of a game. This is what the Canadian government requires travellers.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast