Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 11.G Other Business

Blog Entries

Default 11.G Other Business

All other business not assigned a topic can be discussed here in this thread.

Would there be any interest in a poll for whether the CFC could/should implement some kind of vaccine directive for all of the annual CFC national events?

My concern is that attendance will drop by people concerned for their health safety.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
    Would there be any interest in a poll for whether the CFC could/should implement some kind of vaccine directive for all of the annual CFC national events?

My concern is that attendance will drop by people concerned for their health safety.
    I think a discussion is warranted -- it's going to be next Easter before the next National event is held and things could be completely different by then.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    I think a discussion is warranted -- it's going to be next Easter before the next National event is held and things could be completely different by then.
    oh yes, I agree things could be completely different

I still think we should start talking about this issue

Blog Entries

My family member that has COVID after being double vaccinated with the Pfizer vaccine, is somewhat immunocompromised after a prolonged outbreak of shingles. She seems to be recovering from COVID. Talked to her today on Facetime.

Starting September 13 (1 dose) and then on Oct 24 (fully vaccinated), BC will require proof of vaccination to access some events, services, and businesses. I assume that chess tournaments fall under the category of "Indoor organized gatherings like weddings, parties, conferences, meetings and workshops".

Similarly, Quebec is targeting Sept 1 and will require COVID-19 vaccination passport and is expect to be used for the following non-essential activities:
    - High-risk activities with a limited number of people (gyms, team sports, bars, restaurants, etc.)
    - Moderate- or low-risk activities with bigger groups of people (arts and entertainment, festivals and major events, games at sports stadiums, etc.)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Victoria Doknjas View Post
    Starting September 13 (1 dose) and then on Oct 24 (fully vaccinated), BC will require proof of vaccination to access some events, services, and businesses. I assume that chess tournaments fall under the category of "Indoor organized gatherings like weddings, parties, conferences, meetings and workshops".

Similarly, Quebec is targeting Sept 1 and will require COVID-19 vaccination passport and is expect to be used for the following non-essential activities:
    - High-risk activities with a limited number of people (gyms, team sports, bars, restaurants, etc.)
    - Moderate- or low-risk activities with bigger groups of people (arts and entertainment, festivals and major events, games at sports stadiums, etc.)
    It might be an idea to have one central place - a sticky on the forum, or more ideally a page on the main CFC site - listing any and all legal requirements and restrictions for in-person chess events for each province. Separately, a list of "best practices" could be developed by the first few people who run in-person events in various places with different restrictions.

That would be similar to what other sporting bodies do for their members, although the larger (and more-restricted) ones will also lobby and/or negotiate with the government, sometimes with comical effects such as last year when I think at one point wrestling was allowed but solo gymnastics was not in Ontario.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
    It might be an idea to have one central place - a sticky on the forum, or more ideally a page on the main CFC site - listing any and all legal requirements and restrictions for in-person chess events for each province. Separately, a list of "best practices" could be developed by the first few people who run in-person events in various places with different restrictions.
    There would need to be someone, or a group, tasked to make updates or to notify the administrator of the forum/main CFC site that a specific province has updated their legal requirements.

So the challenge with the ideas above is that different provinces have different positions (and many of them will probably change). My thinking is that the CFC would start with a position of one of the provinces, and make it our standard for national events. At this time, I don't feel very good about Ontario's position on this aspect.

I don't see this proposed work being productive since the provinces have different mandated precautions and they are changing frequently. Local organizers, even of national events are bound by the provincial standards.
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer, Chess Foundation of Canada
    CFC Voting Member

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast