Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 11.E Changing the name of the Executive Director

I'll take the pink and purple deck chairs please.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Barron View Post
    Finally we're making progress!
    Thank you, Victor, for good suggestion!

So, let's amend my Motion:
    "To avoid terminology confusion, rename the position of paid CFC employee to Chief Operating Officer (COO)".

Please put it to a vote at appropriate time.
    If Bob agrees with this, then I'll support it.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Barron View Post
    "To avoid terminology confusion, rename the position of paid CFC employee to Chief Operating Officer (COO)".
    If the desire is to avoid terminology confusion, I don't see how changing the position name to Chief Operating Officer would help when we already have Officers who are elected and non-paid.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Wright View Post
    If the desire is to avoid terminology confusion, I don't see how changing the position name to Chief Operating Officer would help when we already have Officers who are elected and non-paid.

That is a good point. This is certainly not something that we would need to proceed quickly on, nor is it one of our highest priorities.

I have 3 questions:

1. What does Bob Gillanders think about this? If he is vehemently against this, I think that is good enough reason to end the discussion. It would be different if Bob wanted to be called, "His Royal Majesty, King Bob", but in this case, "Executive Director" has been in use for many, many years without any issues, and also has been recognized in other organizations.

2. Is there something specified in Bob's employment contract that states his title? If so, I think the discuss ends right there, i.e., why are we talking about something that CFC is bound to contractually and thus, can't change?

3. If the main reason for this suggestion is "To avoid terminology confusion", how widespread of an issue is this?
    - If there are many, many new Voting Members who are confused and unable to competently do their VM duties, maybe a committee needs to be assembled to produce an "Everything a new CFC Voting Members Needs to Know, But Is Afraid to Ask" pamphlet (I specifically didn't write "handbook" because that just sounds like a HUGE job).
    - And if you think that's a good idea, maybe 1 or 2 of these new VMs could volunteer to write this pamphlet, so basically what they are learning now, they can jot down for future VMs to benefit from their new and wonderous discoveries in the land of CFC.

Blog Entries

To Victoria's 3 questions.

Bob Gillanders was against the original suggestion of office manager. There is no office to manage beyond a virtual one.

Bob took over the Michael von Keitz contract and yes, I believe there is language stating his title.

I have not really had many people express confusion to me on this point. Executive Director has been in use as a title for at least fifty years in the CFC and in other non-profits.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    To Victoria's 3 questions.

Bob Gillanders was against the original suggestion of office manager. There is no office to manage beyond a virtual one.

Bob took over the Michael von Keitz contract and yes, I believe there is language stating his title.

I have not really had many people express confusion to me on this point. Executive Director has been in use as a title for at least fifty years in the CFC and in other non-profits.
    As such:
    1. If Bob is against the title change, which is who it affects the most, I am against the title change.
    2. If Bob's employment contract with CFC states his title, then of course I am against the title change.
    3. If there is no huge confusion and the title has been in use for many years at the CFC and other reputable non-profits, well then, I think you get the idea...

Victoria and Vlad and others all seem totally right!

Maybe this discussion has gone on long enough lol

Unless Bob asks for something, can we move on?!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12