Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 11.B Online Cheating

I followed 16 hours of training on online and hybrid chess from the FIDE Arbiters' Commission as well as an ACC (now FPL) training a while ago and I would never fully disclose how arbiters check for cheaters. Such information would only help the cheaters to avoid detection.

Nikolay, in my tournaments we had 4 or 5 accounts closed by chess.com. The number of entries was about 700. Maybe 300 individual players because many players played in more than one tournament. These figures are approximate.
    Of the accounts closed, one was overturned on appeal to the CFC, one was a false-positive and the rest were new players who subsequently disappeared. I don't have enough confidence in the cheating detection to put my name on a public list accusing anyone of cheating.
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer, Chess Foundation of Canada
    CFC Voting Member

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Dénommée View Post
    I followed 16 hours of training on online and hybrid chess from the FIDE Arbiters' Commission as well as an ACC (now FPL) training a while ago and I would never fully disclose how arbiters check for cheaters. Such information would only help the cheaters to avoid detection.
    My belief is that some innocent people are being flagged as cheaters. This is a problem particularly in the case of rapidly improving juniors. I believe that AI will eventually solve the problem of who is and isn't cheating but until then we need to tell kids what is and isn't acceptable behaviour in an online game.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    My belief is that some innocent people are being flagged as cheaters.
    This usually comes from the platform, not from the arbiters or fair play panel. The closure of an account during a competition can be due to an alleged offence that had been committed during a previous competition in which the control team of the current tournament is powerless to do anything. If a player is suspended in the middle of my tournament for what he did 2 weeks ago, I, as Chief Arbiter, have no authority in the tournament in which the infraction is alleged to have occurred. The Chief Arbiter of the previous tournament may have already approved the suspension, the offence could have occurred outside of our jurisdiction, in a non-CFC rated event or worse, in an event rated ny another Federation that claims exclusive jurisdiction.

A bit off topic and may have been covered in the past, but I will ask the question.

The challenges around catching and proving online cheating are well documented.

Hopefully, the bulk of the play will soon be moving back to OTB from on-line.

Is there any need to discuss standardization or guidelines around OTB cheating?

If any cheating policies/guidelines exist, where are they posted?

Quote Originally Posted by Don Hack View Post
    If any cheating policies/guidelines exist, where are they posted?
    FIDE Anti-Cheating regulations

https://handbook.fide.com/chapter/An...ingRegulations

The FIDE rules seem to pertain to OTB chess but don't explicitly say that.
    Pierre, does FIDE allow online events to be rated without an arbiter present at every playing site?
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer, Chess Foundation of Canada
    CFC Voting Member

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
    The FIDE rules seem to pertain to OTB chess but don't explicitly say that.
    Pierre, does FIDE allow online events to be rated without an arbiter present at every playing site?
    I don't believe so.

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Dénommée View Post
    For clarity, I was referring to CFC-specific guidance. I don't think many Canadian events fall into categories A, B, or C.

If there is no specific CFC guidance, then the governance should fall to the individual TD or the governing agency's domain.

If the CFC's board is comfortable with governance at that level, then no further action is necessary.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    The CFC is continuing to work on details of Online Chess regulations. Especially troubling are the allegations of cheating. The following is our current policy.

Any player found guilty of violating a site's Fair-Play policy during a CFC Rated tournament is subject to the following standard suspension from CFC rated online play.
    Age under 12 = 4 months

Age under 16 = 8 months
    Others = 12 months
    Some organizers may have a Fair-Play Committee consisting of strong players to assess games in place of or in addition to the above (relying on a site's policy). Any players found to have received outside assistance by such a Committee will also be subjected to the same penalties.

Any player who has their account closed for a fair-play violation will not be able to play in CFC tournaments in the future on that site, by simply creating a new account, without permission of the site.
    There is an Appeals process. The appeals fee is $100 to be paid to the CFC Business Office, and will be refunded if the appeal is successful. Exact details will be determined case by case but will involve the game(s) being re-evaluated using anti-cheating software and expert opinion. The player may be asked to play supervised games to evaluate his ability, and assess his claims of innocence. Any additional costs involved in the appeal will be the responsibility of the player and are non-refundable.
    https://www.chesscanada.info/forum/s...FC-rated-games

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast