Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10. Bids for 2021/2022 Events and beyond

Blog Entries

Default 10. Bids for 2021/2022 Events and beyond

Calgary is bidding on the 2023 Canadian Youth Chess Championship and Canadian Open.

I think they were very close to finalizing the details of the hotel and event space though had to pull back a bit to follow the required process from the Calgary Tourism people. I have had extensive discussions about this project with Steve Sklenka, President of the Calgary Chess Club and also with the Calgary Tourism representative who expressed strong interest in this event even before Steve contacted me somewhat independently. I have great confidence in Steve and his team to put together an outstanding pair of events.

We are concurrently talking with the Edmonton Tourism people and Rafael Arruebarrena about a complementary youth event after the Calgary events.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 08-23-2021 at 12:48 PM.

Blog Entries

Default Laval expression of interest for 2024 CYCC and Canadian Open.

The FQE and Laval will be making a bid for CYCC and Canadian Open in 2024. As usual, expect a well organized event. Attached are a letter of interest from Laval in English and French. There will be more information as it becomes available.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Blog Entries

I am still waiting to hear from Hamilton about the final details of the 2022 CYCC and Canadian Open. This event was bumped from 2021 because of COVID. Hal Bond, Bob Gillanders and Patrick MacDonald will be involved in the organization which will likely be similar in format to what was planned for 2021.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 08-23-2021 at 03:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    I am still waiting to hear from Hamilton about the final details of the 2020 CYCC and Canadian Open. This event was bumped from 2021 because of COVID. Hal Bond, Bob Gillanders and Patrick MacDonald will be involved in the organization which will likely be similar in format to what was planned for 2021.
    I believe you meant "2022 CYCC and Canadian Open" instead of "2020 CYCC and Canadian Open".

You should not be buying 80 DGT 3000 clocks and 10 DGT board on the retail market. That's more then enough to qualify for a volume discount. As a former president of the Montreal Chess League, I used to be a DGT distributor. Now that I live outside Montreal, I could try to become again a DGT distributor.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lo View Post
    I believe you meant "2022 CYCC and Canadian Open" instead of "2020 CYCC and Canadian Open".

You are correct. Thank you for pointing out my typo. I have fixed it in the original post.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 08-23-2021 at 03:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    Calgary is bidding on the 2023 Canadian Youth Chess Championship and Canadian Open.
    Very happy that the CYCC and CO will be in Calgary; I have family there so will likely attend. I did a quick sanity check of the bid and have a question. The budget is based on 200 entries. The hotel ballrooms add up to a total of 5240 sq ft. That's 26.2 sq ft per player or a little more than 5' x 5'. That's ample when sitting at your table playing but doesn't allow much room to move around within the room. I vaguely recall reading somewhere a rough guideline of 100 sq ft per player. You can probably have less than 100 but should be wary if you are significantly below 100, which I think 26.2 is. Do any of the experienced large event organizers have any better guidelines? Good to know before any contracts are signed in Calgary.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Don Parakin View Post
    Very happy that the CYCC and CO will be in Calgary; I have family there so will likely attend. I did a quick sanity check of the bid and have a question. The budget is based on 200 entries. The hotel ballrooms add up to a total of 5240 sq ft. That's 26.2 sq ft per player or a little more than 5' x 5'. That's ample when sitting at your table playing but doesn't allow much room to move around within the room. I vaguely recall reading somewhere a rough guideline of 100 sq ft per player. You can probably have less than 100 but should be wary if you are significantly below 100, which I think 26.2 is. Do any of the experienced large event organizers have any better guidelines? Good to know before any contracts are signed in Calgary.
    I believe the FIDE guideline is 30 square feet per person and that is what we quote as our guideline. 100 square feet would be very roomy. For every two players that would be reserving a space of 10 ft by 20 ft. For very young kids I think 30 square feet is a bit big. Tables are usually six to eight feet long and two and a half to three feet wide. Usually there would be 4 to 6 players per table or two to three on each side. At the CYCC in Windsor we had about 12000 square feet for 270 players and the same room comfortably handled 360 players at NAYCC and very comfortably handled 130 players at the Canadian Open. The kids tend to skew towards the younger age groups and are thus smaller than adults.

I think that there are options for additional rooms if required.

The Ontario High School Chess Championship will be held
    in Toronto, in April, 2022
    under the following conditions:
    * the government of Ontario allows large gatherings;
    * schools and school boards allow extra-curricular activities, including chess clubs, and school trips;
    * parents and students are comfortable with attending
    An announcement will be made on the website as soon as possible.
    www.ohscc.on.ca
    The organising committee (OC) can be reached at
    high.school.chess@gmail.com
    It is asked that a representative of each school chess club - teacher, parent, or student - email the OC when the above conditions have been met for your school, and you know that players from your school will be able to attend.

A few notes about the OHSCC:
    Why April? It used to be May, but now many schools run the IB programme, and many others run Grade 12 AP courses; both IB and AP courses have international exams in May (the IB exams start Apr 28).
    The championship has 3 sections:
    Championship (Open to all, 5 rounds);
    Intermediate ( rated < 1500 or unrated, 6 rounds);
    Beginner (rated < 1100 or unrated, with less than 2 years of tournament experience, 6 rounds)
    4 rounds are played on Friday (Ch - only 3), 2 on Saturday
    Time control: Ch Rds 1 and 2 1 hr / player; Rds 3-5 90 min / player + 30 sec incr
    Int and Beg Rds 1 – 3 1 hr / player; Rds 4 – 6 90 min / player

The organising committee of teachers is working hard to complete arrangements for the tournament site. They will also make arrangements for hotel discounts at one or more nearby hotels for out-of-town students and staff.
    They will not hold the tournament Easter week-end (Apr 15-16 – normally this would conflict with the Toronto Open !) or Apr 29-30 (IB exams).
    The date and site will be announced on the website as soon as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Field View Post
    They will not hold the tournament Easter week-end (Apr 15-16 – normally this would conflict with the Toronto Open !) or Apr 29-30 (IB exams).
    The date and site will be announced on the website as soon as possible.
    I don't believe there's any Toronto Open planned for Easter weekend. As of 2019, Kingston Easter Chess is a 5-6 day event over the Easter long weekend, including the Zonal/Canadian Closed, and the Women's Zonal in alternating years, and 3 lower-rated sections). It will run at least 3 more years under this current format.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast