Thread: 4.3 Nominations for CFC Secretary

Default 4.3 Nominations for CFC Secretary

Please make nominations for secretary here.

Nominations close 1800 Day 3 (Tuesday) with elections ASAP thereafter ending at 1800 Day 7 (Saturday)

Blog Entries

I nominate Lyle Craver for secretary.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    I nominate Lyle Craver for secretary.
    I second the nomination of Lyle Craver for secretary.

Thank you for the nomination which I am happy to accept.

Blog Entries

Thanks, Fred, for starting this thread. Danny Goldenberg posted a message on chesstalk, so I copied it here. I'm not sure if he has access here. (his thread was titled "Nominations for CFC Secretary", so I assume that's the position for which he wishes to be nominated).

"Dear CFC voting members,

I am writing here (as you all aware, regular CFC members do not have the access to write on CFC forum) to show my interest for the position indicated in the subject.

If there are voting members, who thinks that I might be an interesting candidate to participate in the fair elections, I will be thankful for nominating and supporting my candidature.

I was staying far from chess politics in Canada until this year, but seeing that regardless to the federation (CFC or FQE and others) it is always the same people who "run the show", I decided that it was a good time for change.

Lets share information, lets be more transparent, lets stop favoritism!

I strongly believe that with my personal and professional qualities, I will be able to bring fresh air to the room.

Sincerely,

International Arbiter / FIDE Master
    Danny Goldenberg

P.S. For the ones who do not know me personally, here is a very brief resume of my qualifications:

Studied Political Sciences @ Concordia University (achievement: Winner of the President Award - CSU Club 2006-2007, being elected the best President among 350+ undergraduate clubs in Concordia).
    Professional experience: working in Finances, with significant experience in corporate communication, escalations, resolutions, and audits...
    Playing chess since 1984 (achievements: youth champion in different countries including CFC U20 champion / FIDE Master since 1998 / Arbiter since 1998 becoming International Arbiter in 2017, being one of the most active arbiters during the latest pre-covid years / Chess coach since 1995).
    Perfectly bilingual and fluent in several other languages."

For those who don't know me in person my name is Lyle Craver and I am a long time voting member from Vancouver.

While I played in numerous events as a junior, as an organizer in the 1980s I lived in first Winnipeg then Toronto and many old-timers from the Winnipeg Chess Club and the Scarborough Chess Club will remember me as I directed tournaments at both venues.

I first became a CFC Governor in 1991 and while I am now semi-retired from the BCCF (my choice - I wanted to devote my full chess attention to the CFC) and simply a BCCF Director at Large. I served both as BCCF Secretary and BCCF Treasurer for many years. Through the years I directed over 100 tournaments from local club events through the Keres Memorial (which most of you know is the premier open event in BC) through the Canadian Championship. I was awarded the International Arbiter title in 2003. I have served first as CFC Treasurer then CFC Secretary and have also served as a Kalev Pugi fund trustee and a member of the National Appeals Committee. In 2019 I received the BC Chess Federation Lifetime Achievement Award.

Education: BSc (Mathematics) UBC 1979, MBA (finance / systems) McMaster 1983. Married with 3 children. Co-owner (with my brother) of a jewelry supply store based in North Vancouver. Other hobbies include muncipal politics (where I have been appointed by our municipal council to 4 separate municipal advisory committees) and am a Toastmaster who has served several terms as an area director and have recently received the Distinguished Toastmaster award.

I note en passant that it is suggested CFC members don't have access to the CFC Forum. ALL CFC members are welcome to register for a Forum account at any time and I would be delighted if many more chose to do so. I am especially pleased that a link to this forum has now been placed on the top of the CFC home page and very much hope that more choose to participate on the forum. To open a new account you click the link, register for an account which is then validated by Chris or I and you're good to go!

As CFC Secretary, I am responsible for all forum accounts relating to the CFC Voting Members and the Executive while Christopher Mallon (who I consider one of the unsung heroes of the CFC) looks after all other accounts. Chris more or less singlehandedly defends the CFC Forum user base from attacks by fake accounts, spam artists and those who would upload malware and in my opinion deserves thanks from all of us.

The bottom line is that the work of the CFC Executive is not at all stodgy. Of the Executive the CFC President, Junior Coordinator and FIDE Rep work especially hard for all members. The rest of us also do but especially those three! My main roles are to act as Moderator in these meetings which includes setting them up, making sure security is maintained (which is reviewed every meeting afterwards) including the integrity of our votes and assisting Chris as he needs it. I am also an experienced 'parliamentarian' meaning I know the rules of procedure well and advise regularly on 'say I want to do this - how do I bring it about?" both to the CFC Executive and members generally

COVID struck the CFC (like many other organizations) hard and a current CFC priority is how best to serve the members as the recovery continues. Specifically the CFC "Brand" is "Over the Board" events but many other kinds of play are evolving and we're trying to be on top of matters despite regularly facing new challenges.

It has been my pleasure to serve Federation members for several years and there is much work to do yet

I ask your support and your votes for 2021-2022

Lyle Craver, IA, Secretary, The Chess Federation of Canada