Greetings CFC members,

I have a number of topics to cover:

1) Communication with the President
I apologize that it is taking a long time for my laptop to being repaired. I will have to go to an internet cafe to access my yahoo.ca account. Emails sent to president@chess.ca are forwarded to my yahoo account. The VP Stijn De Kerpel informs me of emails regarding urgent matters. I apologize in advance if I have not replied to your email as of yet. I plan to have a response to you shortly.

2) Canada Closed 2009
I attended the Opening Ceremonies at the University of Guelph. I want thank and congratulate Hal Bond, FIDE representative, for is usual high quality performance in organizing and directing this tournament. It was nice to see Jean Hebert down from Montreal. I am sure it will be an exciting and competitive tournament.

3) Budget 2009-2010
The budget is being reviewed by the Treasurer, Maurice Smith. The budget will be subsequently finalized by the CFC Executive and then presented to the CFC governors for their feedback.

4) 2010 National Championships
At this time I can report that a bid has been received from John Coleman of Windsor for the 2010 CYCC. Regarding the 2010 Junior, interest in Alberta has been communicated to myself. Regarding the 2010 Canada Open, I have been informed that Toronto is working on submitting a bid shortly.

Regarding the Canada Closed and the Women's Championship, as of yet I have not received any bids or interest. Please let me know as soon as possible if you are interested in bidding on these championships.

5) Electronic Newsletter
I have made an announcement requesting a proposal for prospective candidates to the position of newsletter editor. Proposals should be submitted to me as soon as possible no later than 17 August 2009. The goal is to have the newsletter to begin distribution by the third week of September and to be published monthly thereafter.