Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: 5A1 Noritsyn, Itkin et al campaign to remove the CFC president

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
    I'm asking. You might answer as well -- where does the Non for profit Act set requirements for the motion of the removal like charges or whatever shall be in the motion? If it is not in the Act, please provide other Act/Law where it would have a process (procedure) of the removal of the director of the non for profit organization.

I'm a chess player -- I want to see variations, not just the evaluation of the position

I am not here to teach anyone Canadian law. I answered you. You will have to do your own research.

Quote Originally Posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
    I'm asking. You might answer as well -- where does the Non for profit Act set requirements for the motion of the removal like charges or whatever shall be in the motion? If it is not in the Act, please provide other Act/Law where it would have a process (procedure) of the removal of the director of the non for profit organization.

I'm a chess player -- I want to see variations, not just the evaluation of the position
    Egis,

I am not a lawyer, but I am pretty sure that there is no other act than Canada NFP Act which regulates Director's removal for non-for profit organizations. Ontario NFP Act is expected to be taken later in 2021.

The NFP Act itself does not say much, but there are interpretations of this Act issued by the Government of Canada, which provide some more details. You may look at
    https://corporationscanada.ic.gc.ca/...04.html#toc-05

Section "Directors terms and vacancies on the board of directors"

Lawyers often are trying to make things more complicated than they really are.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Itkin
    Well, if on the contrary, you sincerely believe that you have not done anything reprehensible and that you are right, then play a fair game: do not evade, call the Special Meeting as per our request, hold a direct vote – and win it! Then no one will be able to claim that you have lost the trust of the CFC members.
    So you want that upside down rook to be a queen despite the rules. If you want to overturn the results of an election, you need to at least be competent enough to read and follow the rules. You are asking me to waive the rules. I decline to do that.

http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/sh...7294#post37294

Quote Originally Posted by Justice Gans
    "[4] I again observe, for what it might be worth, the fact that agreement between the parties could not be reached on even the most basic of issues, namely the amount and timing of interest, underscores the view expressed in the judgment proper, namely that this war will continue until the last of the combatants falls on his own sword, a stance which is more than a tad regrettable."

2) "Regrettably, particularly with the evidence of the plaintiff and his chief antagonist, the defendant Victor Itkine (“Itkine”), their evidence was so infused by vitriol that the details were often obscured."

https://www.canlii.org/en/on/onsc/do...15onsc2313.pdf
    "Neiman beat a path to Itkine’s door and convened a meeting of the Investor Group [...]
    The Investor Group passed the following resolution [...] which provided in clear and unequivocal terms that Bimman was effectively to be “charged and convicted” before any inquiry, let alone trial had occurred."
    Hm-m... Sounds familiar. ;-)

"12 I am persuaded that the plan to “uncover” Bimman’s intentions, or to put it otherwise, to entrap him, was conceived by Itkine and/or Neiman."

"Bimman was forced out of his position by the actions of the Investor Group, spearheaded by Itkine [...] To adopt the word used by Itkine [...] I am satisfied on a balance of probabilities that Bimman was “stripped” of his office."

"[55] The matter did not end with the Itkine email. Unbeknownst to Bimman, the Investor Group wrote a letter, and transmitted documents allegedly in support thereof, to the Major Fraud Unit of the York Regional Police. [...] The letter concluded with what turned out to be an ill-conceived request for the laying of criminal charges against Bimman and BRESI.

[56] Nothing came out of this reportage: the Police directed the combatants to sort out their issues civilly, if not with civility. I note that the defendants did not bathe themselves in any form of glory when this event was mined by counsel for the plaintiffs in his cross-examination of the individual defendants."

"[58] Furthermore, the explanations of the origin of this police complaint offered up by Neiman and Itkine were so far-fetched and self-serving as to colour much of the rest of their evidence. Their evidence on this point left me guessing as to what was fact and what was fiction in their testimony. These two gentlemen, as intelligent and well-schooled in business as each is, would have been better off acknowledging their mistake in undertaking and reporting unproven allegations of fraud and embezzlement and moving on with the true essence of their case."

[222]I have not lost sight of the fact that Bimman was forced out of the management group as a result of exaggerated, if not unfounded, allegations of impropriety bordering on embezzlement. I have concluded that while Bimman’s resignation was perhaps ill-advised, the defendants, with Itkine at the helm, made his life positively miserable during this period of time. He had no alternative but to resign, if only to secure his entitlement to a healthy portion of the DMF, a negotiation which never took place, notwithstanding earlier promises from Itkine to the contrary.

Page: 61 denunciation, deterrence and retribution, once the damages for conduct in dismissal were awarded.123

[228]In my view, and not to repeat unduly what has been set out in great detail in the facts portion of this judgment, I find that the activities of Itkine and Neiman amounted to a “marked departure from ordinary standards of decent behavior.” Among other things, the conduct which forms the subject of the award of punitive damages is the following: (1) surreptitiously using the Lambert contract to pillory Bimman; (2) furthering their agenda to rid CEL of Bimman, to the point that they (unsuccessfully) attempted to engage the good offices of the local constabulary to do their bidding; and (3) in the constant harangue that filled the minutes of the shareholders meetings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Justice Gans
    [229]Bimman was not the most sympathetic plaintiff. He was often haughty during the course of the trial and, as is evidenced in the minutes and other exchanges between the parties, he was quick to criticize his opponents, a personality trait which no doubt infused his dealings with Neiman and the other members of the Investor Group from the early days of the project. However, he was not deserving of the treatment to which he was subjected. Itkine and Neiman used a “misunderstanding,” about which Neiman was fully apprised, in their ongoing battle between themselves and Bimman. [230] Furthermore, I am somewhat skeptical about the bona fides of the ARCAM Holdings mortgage proposal and whether the requested ‘personal’ information was truly necessary as a pre-condition for financing, particularly since the Defendants did not call ARCAM’s principal to testify. I was also more than modestly concerned that Itkine had breached the terms of the November Agreement by reporting the nature and contents of Bimman’s comments at the relevant shareholders meeting to Mr. McCleave. There was no valid business reason for such disclosure and it amounted to a violation of the November Agreement.124It is not unreasonable to infer that this purposeful disclosure would have the intended result of a threatened suit against Bimman for defamation, with the full support and encouragement of at least Itkine, if not Neiman.

[231]In the final analysis, I am of the view that an award of punitive damages of $25,000 is appropriate in the circumstances. In doing so, I acknowledge that some modest form of compensatory damages is already included in the award of a bump-up to Bimman’s share of the DMF, calculated above.123Honda Canada Inc. v. Keays, 2008 SCC 39 at paras. 68-69, [2008] 2 S.C.R. 362.124Article 2.04(a). The second sentence of that provision reads: “Each Shareholder and Director agrees that he/she will keep all matters pertaining to the Corporation strictly confidential other than normal disclosures (e.g. brochures, financing offers and documents) made in the course of business.”2015 ONSC 2313 (CanLII)

Page: 62[232] This sum, however, shall only be payable by Messrs. Itkine and Neiman in their personal capacity, and not by CEL or the remaining shareholders, since the denunciation is directed at them for such appalling behaviour
    I would submit that you are picking up where you left off in that action in your dealings and attempted smears against me.

The punitive damages were reversed on appeal though only because the opposing counsel applied for them late in the trial.

Like Judge Gans suggested, I suggest that you move on with the true essence of your case.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 04-11-2021 at 07:38 PM.

I have not followed this matter in detail but the call to remove the president did not provide any reason why. If a valid reason was given then it should be debated and yoted on by the voting members otherwise it should wait until the annual meeting where the position of president can be contested.
    Les Bunning

Quote Originally Posted by Les Bunning View Post
    I have not followed this matter in detail but the call to remove the president did not provide any reason why. If a valid reason was given then it should be debated and yoted on by the voting members otherwise it should wait until the annual meeting where the position of president can be contested.
    Les Bunning
    Hi Les,

If you take a look at the pdf of the motion, the very first sentence reads

"Whereas the president's conduct in the February 2021 Special Meeting of Voting Members calls into question his ability to continue carrying out his duties as President" ...

I agree, this of course should be debated and vote upon (at the requested Special Meeting).

Best Regards,
    Nikolay

The entire conversation, on this occasion as in the last, does not inspire confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikolay Noritsyn View Post
    Hi Les,

If you take a look at the pdf of the motion, the very first sentence reads

"Whereas the president's conduct in the February 2021 Special Meeting of Voting Members calls into question his ability to continue carrying out his duties as President" ...

I agree, this of course should be debated and vote upon (at the requested Special Meeting).

Best Regards,
    Nikolay
    In my view you have to show more than a disagreement. You have to spell out the misconduct or show some type of malfeasance. You have not done this.
    Les Bunning

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213