Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 5A9 New Business

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    In a zoom format we could record every meeting and put it on youtube as FIDE did with their online meeting.

No other non-profit employs such a time wasting format on its board or members. Most non-profits would have a single yearly AGM and not 37 days of meetings as we will have in this year. That is more than 10% of the year spent in meetings.
    Which is perfectly legal and is how the Government expects non-profits to be ran. I have been on the board of at lest one non-profit almost continuously since 1992 and the CFC is the only organisation with so numerous members' meetings. Having active Commissions instead would be better.

I understand that people are reluctant to change especially when technology is concerned. But the more we do these meetings the better we get at them. In ZOOM or other similar programs there are features for questions and answers and chat side to post links to access documents. Moreover, all documents can be accessible 10 days before the meeting and discussed, if necessary through share screen or in the chat feature. Quorum is easily counted. And yes, I agree that committees should be created to review whatever subject needs to be tackled and report. Also, recording allows the secretary to issue complete minutes quickly.
    There is also another program that can be used for secret ballot which results can be known within a minute on every subject. This program is used by the Canadian Bar Association on a Canadian level with thousands of lawyers attending the zoom and voting on various motions presented in advance of the meeting...

The Fracophone Chess Association has announced two new online tournaments. Links to the announcements

The CFC can send a team with at least one women to those two competitions.

The CFC should at least have a B-plan because that kind of forum are currently attack by hackers.

For future developments FIDE might grant projects too. Before the program was restricted to "developing" countries (per FIDE definition), they opened it too all countries. The CFC has already received one proposal and it will be going to FIDE. Hopefully FIDE will choose to fund even more projects from Canada if any would come forward. Details about the program at

https://pdc.fide.com/2021/03/05/deve...programme-2021

The CFC executives will facilitate the process, but the program shall come from the community willing to do the work. The final word is by FIDE to stamp it and provide financing.
    .*-1

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Bérubé View Post
    The CFC should at least have a B-plan because that kind of forum are currently attack by hackers.
    I think Zoom is one option but there are about three other possibilities including offerings from Microsoft, Google and perhaps even Apple. I use Skype mostly myself and it seems to work well but have been using Zoom a lot lately which I gather works for larger meetings. I have had some issues with the google option getting into meetings though once in the meeting, the software also worked satisfactorily. I first started with Teamviewer many years ago and haven't used it in some years but I still get emails from the company.

There have also been some minor issues of stability of the platform since the migration to the new server. I know that I was talking to Aris and he could not access the platform at one point last night and while we were talking on skype it became unavailable to me as well though the "outage" only lasted about a minute or less.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 04-15-2021 at 11:42 AM.

I was wondering if there are any plans to update the current CFC website? It is very difficult to find things, tons of broken links etc...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad Rekhson View Post
    I was wondering if there are any plans to update the current CFC website? It is very difficult to find things, tons of broken links etc...
    The CFC has a completely new Website. Our Webmaster, Don Parakin, is continuing to bring over features from the old site. I'm not aware of any broken links. You should simply report any issues to the CFC Office.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad Rekhson View Post
    ... any plans to update the current CFC website?
    Yes, definitely. Work will resume in May. When I started, after the old website finally died (blocked due to too many viruses), I had plenty of free time to get it done. Then a series of unexpected things came up that ate into my free time. The core functions (ratings, upcoming events, handbook, etc) are my highest priority but other functions have slipped below some of my non-chess.ca unexpected tasks. Apologies and thanks to all for your patience. The slowdown due to the pandemic has allowed me some flexibility.

Warning/Apologies - way off topic: Besides joining a buddy to start a new online business, the unexpected "neutron bomb" that hit was my wife & I finding a house we fell in love with, a heritage home built in 1863. This meant an unplanned and unprepared move that we've been working on since January and will finish April 30. It's amazing how much stuff you can accumulate over the decades: yesterday was moving truck 1 of 2. As a still proud owner (before discovering the downsides of an 158 year old house), here's a photo. The cupola on top, wife be willing, will be turned into The Centre for Chess Studies
    38BP.ext.backyard.NW.jpg

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Don Parakin View Post
    Warning/Apologies - way off topic: Besides joining a buddy to start a new online business, the unexpected "neutron bomb" that hit was my wife & I finding a house we fell in love with, a heritage home built in 1863. This meant an unplanned and unprepared move that we've been working on since January and will finish April 30. It's amazing how much stuff you can accumulate over the decades: yesterday was moving truck 1 of 2. As a still proud owner (before discovering the downsides of an 158 year old house), here's a photo. The cupola on top, wife be willing, will be turned into The Centre for Chess Studies
    I doubt that very much built today will still be livable 158 years from now.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast