Thread: 7. Closing Comments by Chair

Blog Entries

Default 7. Closing Comments by Chair

This is where the closing comments will be posted. I had actually completed closing comments when the website froze on me and all comments were lost to eternity. I will probably try to reproduce them and save as I go.

I would like to thank the voting members for the decisive vote against this misguided removal attempt against me as president. I hope the people who tried to initiate this action will put their energy into constructive actions which will help advance the cause of chess and the interests of the CFC. I and the rest of the board of directors will work on a number of initiatives between now and the AGM (which will be in August likely from August 22nd to 29th if we stick to the current format). Hopefully the crashes and virus messages can be wrung out of the website as I was told that some people are still getting these indicators.

I am willing to let bygones be bygones and move ahead. I can't promise that I won't react in a similar manner if such situations arise again. I usually do what I think is right for the CFC and I tend to try to reach a consensus.

Some of the objections to my actions are rooted in a lack of understanding of what my job is and a misunderstanding of the roles of voting members and members of the board of directors.

In general we need as a board to be more forthcoming on what we are doing. Much of what we are working on should be shared with the voting members and the regular members of the CFC.

Between now and then some of the items on our agenda will include

Chess in prisons (a recent FIDE initiative that already has at least one interested organizer in the Northwest Territories)
    Women's chess
    Increasing participation of women and girls at all levels (board members, voting members, players, arbiters)
    Finalizing bids for the next three CYCCs and Canadian Opens to be presented at the AGM.
    Working with FIDE to sort out our world cup players.
    Bylaws and handbook
    Working with interested communities and organizers to bring more chess events to players across Canada.
    Work with media contacts to get more favourable chess coverage

Please stay safe in these times of pandemic. Once vaccines reach wide distribution we should be able to put this covid virus in our rear view mirror and we will be able to get back to playing tournament chess. I personally can't wait until that day as my last tournament was in December of 2019.

The meeting is hereby adjourned.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 04-18-2021 at 10:48 PM.