Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 5A9 New Business

Blog Entries

Default 5A9 New Business

This thread is for any new business discussion.

Blog Entries

We have had two monthly zoom meetings as board members and are starting to get more comfortable with the technology which we and everyone else is increasingly turning to for business meetings. I think it is time that we consider integrating Zoom into voting member meetings though obviously we will have to step back and have somewhat shorter meetings more akin to what we used to do in person prior to adopting the online format.

Blog Entries

I like the forum meetings myself.

They give us time to consider things.
    They allow for diverse views to be properly articulated.

A zoom meeting - with 70 people? They won't even all fit on two pages, much less one page.
    How much can each individual VM contribute? A few sentences at best?
    Time constraints may lead to rushed decisions.

The old in-person AGMs were two days long and many many hours each day. Does anyone really want to sit in on a Zoom call for two days? Plus, a lot of things that happened were done in a "backroom" sort of way, or informally during breaks, which really only works in person.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Default Motion to rename Executive Director position

Dear chess friends,

I would like to propose the following Motion:

To avoid terminology confusion rename the position of paid CFC employee "Executive Director" to "Office Manager".

Any seconder?
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Michael, could you please clarify what is the confusion with the term "Executive Director"?
    I am not sure the proposed motion can be included to the agenda. Is it not too late?

Blog Entries

Executive Director is used in many non-profits. There was not a lot of support for this name change among the executive nor from the executive director, Bob Gillanders. There would be some expense in new business cards. It is a position title that we have used for many decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilia Bluvshtein View Post
    Michael, could you please clarify what is the confusion with the term "Executive Director"?
    The confusion is the fact that "Executive Director" is not Executive and not a Director:
    we have CFC Executive, which don't include "Executive Director",
    and we have Directors of the Corporation according to NFP Act, and "Executive Director" is not one of them.
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
    I like the forum meetings myself.

They give us time to consider things.
    They allow for diverse views to be properly articulated.

A zoom meeting - with 70 people? They won't even all fit on two pages, much less one page.
    How much can each individual VM contribute? A few sentences at best?
    Time constraints may lead to rushed decisions.

The old in-person AGMs were two days long and many many hours each day. Does anyone really want to sit in on a Zoom call for two days? Plus, a lot of things that happened were done in a "backroom" sort of way, or informally during breaks, which really only works in person.
    I agree, the current format for a meeting is perfect and should not be changed. There will be a lot less participation in a Zoom meeting of voting members, and I don't see how that can be a good thing.

I would like to put two new businesses for discussions:

Meeting procedure --- the ceased handbook had a long section how these forum meetings shall be conducted. It obvious that it have been forgotten during the last meeting, and I see that they are not followed in this meeting too. Thus, the section could be directly transferred as new ByLaws or left as the procedure for the President, Secretary and everyone one else to follow.

Strategical CFC path
    I have received an email from the CFC member with the request to post several questions regarding the CFC activities. In summary the questions are regarding what the CFC plan to do for the chess development.

I think both items are quite important and could be moved to the new own threads. Thnx.
    .*-1

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Barron View Post
    The confusion is the fact that "Executive Director" is not Executive and not a Director:
    we have CFC Executive, which don't include "Executive Director",
    and we have Directors of the Corporation according to NFP Act, and "Executive Director" is not one of them.
    True, it seems a simple matter to me. If its not too late to include it in the agenda, I will second the motion.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast