Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 5A7 Adding the champion and runner-up in Canadian Women's Closed to Voting Members

Blog Entries

Default 5A7 Adding the champion and runner-up in Canadian Women's Closed to Voting Members

By adding the Canadian Women's champion and runner-up to the voting member list we would have the opportunity to add two more women to the ranks of the voting members. Let us discuss this. Please be civil.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 04-11-2021 at 03:14 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    By giving the Canadian Women's champion and runner-up to the voting member list we would have the opportunity to add two more women to the ranks of the voting members. Let us discuss this. Please be civil.
    Seems like a good idea to me.

Who wouldn't be civil about this?
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

I believe that you meant to say: "By adding the Canadian Women 's champion and runner-up to the voting member list . . ."

Christopher Field.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Field View Post
    I believe that you meant to say: "By adding the Canadian Women 's champion and runner-up to the voting member list . . ."

Christopher Field.
    Agreed. It has been a very hectic few days.

Is it just a discussion?

Otherwise it requires a motion, and especially the proper motion as it regards Class A members. If it will be any kind of the By-Law change there are more requirements to proceed.
    .*-1

Blog Entries

At this point this is discussion.

I am obviously in favour.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    At this point this is discussion.
    As long as we make it clear that their province doesn't get an extra VM if she is already a VM (for instance we have several times had someone who was already a Governor / VM qualify by this method - if memory serves Noritsyn was the most recent)

Also - any person qualifying by this method would _have_ to be a CFC member - which is not minor due to the CFC-FQE agreement. Legally you CAN'T have a non-member on your Board of Governors as there are legal duties attached to the office which cannot be imposed on non-members.

I would also require the organizer to forward the x-table to the Secretary as it's the Secretary who manages the VM list. Preferable with full contact info for those qualifying. This has sometimes been an issue with the Canadian Closed. You would be astonished at the number of times I've had difficulty making contact with these people.

I'm not trying to add red tape here but the Office of a Voting Member includes both privileges and responsibilities and it's NOT all one way!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Craver View Post
    As long as we make it clear that their province doesn't get an extra VM if she is already a VM (for instance we have several times had someone who was already a Governor / VM qualify by this method - if memory serves Noritsyn was the most recent)

Also - any person qualifying by this method would _have_ to be a CFC member - which is not minor due to the CFC-FQE agreement. Legally you CAN'T have a non-member on your Board of Governors as there are legal duties attached to the office which cannot be imposed on non-members.

I would also require the organizer to forward the x-table to the Secretary as it's the Secretary who manages the VM list. Preferable with full contact info for those qualifying. This has sometimes been an issue with the Canadian Closed. You would be astonished at the number of times I've had difficulty making contact with these people.

I'm not trying to add red tape here but the Office of a Voting Member includes both privileges and responsibilities and it's NOT all one way!
    I think in most cases they will already be a WGM or WIM so they are already honorary members.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Craver View Post

Also - any person qualifying by this method would _have_ to be a CFC member - which is not minor due to the CFC-FQE agreement. Legally you CAN'T have a non-member on your Board of Governors as there are legal duties attached to the office which cannot be imposed on non-members
    Regarding the first point -- yes, it shall be worded properly. If the champion/runner-up are already class A members on a provincial list (or by some other means; like FQE; like being nominated/elected for any territory); then for the period from the end of the championship till the next AGM - no changes on a provincial list etc. In principle no new "elections". Maybe some exceptions if the championship finishes just after the AGM. Unless someone would express a different opinion, let's try to keep this way.

Second point -- this shall be somehow better defined in ByLaws in general. What you're requesting is that the (potential) Class A members be Class B members too. However, your reasons for that I think is not right -- if the persons becomes the Class A member -- (s)he is a member of the CFC. Time of the Board of Governors are past.

On other hand the person shall agree to become the class A member after winning the championship. Thus, on a procedural matter she shall apply. That could solve some communications troubles.
    .*-1

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast