Thread: 5A5 National Events and Bidding

Blog Entries

Default 5A5 National Events and Bidding

A quick update on bids for national events.

We are in talks with Hamilton, Durham region, Kingston, Calgary and the FQE with regard to Laval just outside of Montreal as hosting opportunities for the CYCC and Canadian Open in the next few years. Hamilton was to be the venue in 2021 but Covid cancelled that unfortunately. It is possible that they will be able to put on the tournament in 2022 but due to covid, that is not yet certain. We expect to have it nailed down in the next few weeks.

Calgary for 2023 has heated up. We started out talking with their Tourism people over the last few months and then independently the president of the Calgary Chess Club Stefan Sklenka reached out to us about this idea. We have put Steve in contact with our tourism contact and he has begun assembling a first-rate team for the organizing committee.

The tourism official for Laval, we met in Halifax in 2018 over pizza the night before our speed dating session at the Canadian Sport Tourism Alliance CEC conference and we have been trying to work something out with the FQE and Laval ever since and it seems to have finally come together. This bid is likely going to be for 2024.

Kingston is very interested in extending the four year arrangement with us for the Canadian Closed to make up for the two years lost due to Covid. They have budgeted for the two years that were cancelled and those funds will be able to go towards the makeup years. Aris Marghetis has asked for his bid to be extended for the two lost years and the executive was in favour with no objections.

We are in a relatively good place once the covid restrictions end as I believe there is some pent up demand from chessplayers and communities looking for these events.

Thank you, KEC (Kingston Easter Chess) 2022-24 are already being planned.

Because of FIDE deadline for giving the name of the Canadian players, a tournament will likely need to be organized online. Hybrid is still illegal in Quebec and likely in Ontario too because Hybrid Chess involve a physical meeting of players and arbiters.

Unless we want to select by rating, postponing the selection tournament is not an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Dénommée View Post
    Because of FIDE deadline for giving the name of the Canadian players, a tournament will likely need to be organized online. Hybrid is still illegal in Quebec and likely in Ontario too because Hybrid Chess involve a physical meeting of players and arbiters.

Unless we want to select by rating, postponing the selection tournament is not an option.
    I'm not sure what postponement you're referring to. KEC 2022 has nothing to do with our 2021 selections. Victor Plotkin is leading the planning for that, building around the Continental whose dates were just sent to him today. However, I do heavily agree with you regarding the challenges of Hybrid expectations for Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
    I'm not sure what postponement you're referring to. KEC 2022 has nothing to do with our 2021 selections. Victor Plotkin is leading the planning for that, building around the Continental whose dates were just sent to him today. However, I do heavily agree with you regarding the challenges of Hybrid expectations for Canada.

Hopefully, KEC 2022 will not be impacted by this pandemic. I am in favour of giving it to Kingston, but it is for the Executive to decide.

Unless we get a very unexpected permission from FIDE, our Zonal will have to be downgraded to a selection tournament because Zonal must be Hybrid Chess tournament to be recognized.

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Dénommée View Post
    Hopefully, KEC 2022 will not be impacted by this pandemic. I am in favour of giving it to Kingston, but it is for the Executive to decide.

Unless we get a very unexpected permission from FIDE, our Zonal will have to be downgraded to a selection tournament because Zonal must be Hybrid Chess tournament to be recognized.
    I think we're agreeing here. Maybe it's just the verb tenses that are mixing us up. What I think we're BOTH saying is that Canada's 2021 representatives will almost certainly not be determined via over-the-board. They'll be determined via online/Hybrid, and then the problem is that even Hybrid seems very questionable by FIDE's early June deadline. Victor Plotkin is well aware of all these angles, and we'll just have to stay as agile as feasible, to take advantage of what we can.

Then KEC 2022 is completely separate, and should be used to determine Canada's 2022 representatives. The Kingston hotels are already initiating offers to us.

P.S. KEC 2022 was already part of the original 2019-22 awarding, and then of course part of the 2019-2023 extending when the pandemic cancelled 2020. Unless I'm mistaken, the Executive has already, or as part of this meeting will, further extend KEC to 2024 as part of adjustment to the pandemic also cancelling 2021.
    Last edited by Aris Marghetis; 04-13-2021 at 08:45 AM.

Generally, we have 2 scenarios:

1. Positive one. We can organize Hybrid. Our players participate in Continental, after that we have Hybrid Zonal (let's say from Jun 1). 2 spots for the Zonal, maybe somebody qualifies on Continental. Great.

2. Negative one. No Hybrid is possible/legal. Canadian players don't play in Continental. Online Zonal. Last week of May or first week of June. I will try my best to get 2nd spot for Canada, but it's not easy.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Plotkin View Post

1. Positive one. We can organize Hybrid. Our players participate in Continental, after that we have Hybrid Zonal (let's say from Jun 1). 2 spots for the Zonal, maybe somebody qualifies on Continental. Great.

2. Negative one. No Hybrid is possible/legal. Canadian players don't play in Continental. Online Zonal. Last week of May or first week of June. I will try my best to get 2nd spot for Canada, but it's not easy.
    I have a direct line to FIDE president Arkady Dvorkovich and executive director Victor Bologan and am willing to reach out to others in order to support your lobbying efforts. We should make use of our contacts once we know and understand the options we have based on the progress of the pandemic and government regulations.

I must note that Victor Plotkin has been very diligent and conscientious in executing his duties as FIDE rep while keeping the members of the board and me aware of his activities.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Plotkin View Post

FIDE Americas has made for the possible allowance of players qualified for the KO event to play in a different country than their own, with the permission of both nations. Obviously, quarantine rules might make this impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    FIDE Americas has made for the possible allowance of players qualified for the KO event to play in a different country than their own, with the permission of both nations. Obviously, quarantine rules might make this impossible.
    Actually Razvan Preotu can potentially use this rule to his advantage. I will send emails to our top players about Continental later today.