Thread: 2. Opening Comments of Chair

Default 2. Opening Comments of Chair

Assembly members please welcome our president Vladimir Drkulec

Blog Entries

I would like to welcome the voting members to this quarterly meeting of the CFC voting members.

Despite Covid shutdowns the business of the CFC continues. It really seems like I have spent most of the last week in meetings with the Sport Tourism Canada CEC meetings and speed dating going on from April 7th through April 9th. A Thursday night zoom meeting with Calgary Chess Club President Steve Sklenka and CFC Youth Coordinator Christina Tao about the Calgary bid for the 2023 CYCC and Canadian Open followed. In between meetings there were emails with tourism officials interested in hosting some of our premier events. This was followed yesterday by just a wonderful lecture by Alex Lenderman in the Calgary Chess Club Grandmaster Corner and taking part in a question and answer session after the lecture. After that we had an executive meeting that lasted some four hours Saturday from around 5 pm to 9 pm. Now I am writing my opening remarks after eating a microwaved dinner from the lunch leftovers (steak and a baked potato).

We will be talking about a number of issues over the course of this meeting with the attempt by Mr. Noritsyn and Itkine et al to have me removed as CFC president one of the first items. Perhaps over the course of this meeting they will be able to articulate their reasons but I am not overly confident of this given their recent track record. Four of the five people who are listed as possible sponsors of this meeting have issues with defamatory posts which may or may not come to haunt them in the near future but we should probably not jump too far ahead of the issue at hand.

The Executive had a Zoom meeting last night where some progress was made on the CFC bylaws but of course it comes too late to make it into this meeting of the voting members but which shall play a role in the AGM.

We have a statement from the FQE about a possible new updated CFC-FQE agreement which will see closer cooperation between the CFC and FQE. I think we have always had a fairly productive relationship with the FQE in my years as CFC president and I hope that we will be able to add and enhance the relationship for the betterment of chess in all of Canada. The FQE has often come through for us with their organizational skills to produce truly memorable flagship CFC events and more recently assisting with the organization of the Online Chess Olympiad for Disabled Players. You can read and discuss the document that the FQE have provided to us and I think a closer relationship with the FQE is a key to our successfully moving beyond the Covid pandemic and thriving in a changed world where there will be realignments and chess will have more of an opportunity to take its rightful place as a sport and a game that we all love. We need the FQE's help to become a truly bilingual organization which we must become if we are going to be an accepted national sports organization in Canada and in the world.

Michael Barron has proposals on increasing the size of the board while trying to address the requirements from FIDE, the Canadian Olympic Committee and the IOC for increasing the participation of women in our sport governance and also in our sport as participants and players. It is important that we reach out to potential female members and to voting members and make them feel welcome. I would like to see the women's Canadian Closed champion and runner-up be added as voting members as we do with the winner of the Canadian Closed and the runner-up.

We will also have discussions of the regular member to voting member ratio formula (every 50 regular members or portion thereof) which we use to determine the number of voting members for each province and territory.

There is much to discuss so let us get to work.