Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arbiters’ Commission programm for online and hybrid events

Default Arbiters’ Commission programm for online and hybrid events

"Dear Member Federations,

The FIDE Arbiters’ Commission is proud to release a new programme to support the development of arbiters in online and hybrid events.

Two levels of seminars have been designed:
    A Basic Course (8 hours) to cover roles and duties of Online Arbiters and Local Chief Arbiters in hybrid events.

An Advanced Course (8 hours) to cover the roles and duties of Chief Arbiters for online and hybrid events.

Official FIDE events will soon require arbiters worldwide to supervise players in hybrid events. The Arbiter's Commission has proposed that FIDE covers the training of at least 1 or 2 arbiters per federation on the Basic Course and we are very happy that we got strong support from our colleagues from the FIDE Planning and Development Commission and the FIDE Management.

With this letter, we are inviting you to select 2 arbiters from your federation to take part in the Basic Course. This way, our objective is to train about 400 arbiters worldwide. The training fees of this first wave of training will be covered by the FIDE Development Fund, which means no cost for federations or selected arbiters.

If your federation wishes to send more candidates, additional arbiters are welcome and may be included in the training at the standard cost of 30 €. Please note that in terms of planning we may consider initial trainees from federations as having the priority over the extra trainees so that we cover as many federations as possible in the short term.

Please send to the FIDE Arbiters’ Commission (secretary.arbiters@fide.com and chairman.arbiters@fide.com) the names and email addresses of your selected arbiters so that we may plan their registration to the appropriate sessions. Please consider for selection, arbiters of the following profile:

FIDE Licensed Arbiters (preferably IA or FA)
    Level of English strong enough to follow the sessions
    IT skills strong enough to connect to the sessions and understand/apply online concepts
    Arbiters likely to be involved for your federation in the local supervision of FIDE hybrid events

You will also find attached a 1-page description of the courses for a better understanding of the content. Sessions will usually be 4 times 2 hours of online courses.

As we intend to start the first sessions at the beginning of April, please get back to us as soon as you can and before the 4th of April 2021.

Looking forward to a fruitful collaboration on this project, we wish you good health in this difficult period and successful online/hybrid chess events.

Laurent Freyd,
    FIDE Arbiters' Commission Chairman"

Basic Course (8 hours)
    The basic course is open to all FIDE licensed arbiters.
    Prerequisite:
    - Computer, software and network connexion, ready for the course,
    - Technical skills to operate a computer in online context.
    Training content:
    - Online/Hybrid Chess regulations, the role and responsibilities of a match arbiter
    - Online supervision, a practical training
    - Hybrid Chess supervision, the local chief arbiter
    - Online platforms, general concepts, fair play and basic tools to operate
    Seminar fees:
    - 30€ per participant
    Advanced Course (8 hours)
    The advanced course is open to all FIDE licensed arbiters who have followed the basic course or have
    officiated in at least 2 Continental or World online events as an arbiter.
    Prerequisite:
    - Same technical prerequisite as for the Basic course,
    - Attendance at the Basic course
    Training content:
    - Case studies, management of online/hybrid tournaments (incl. pairing, start of games etc.)
    - Fair play, what a chief arbiter has to know
    - Certification, exam on online/hybrid arbiters
    Seminar fees:
    - 30€ per participant (10€ discount when a participant attends both basic and advanced courses)
    Certification
    An exam is scheduled at the end of the advanced course.
    The objective is to certify that the arbiter:
    - Has a proper knowledge of the online/hybrid chess regulations,
    - Understands the roles in online/hybrid tournaments,
    - Is capable to act as an Arbiter in online events,
    - Is capable to act as a Local Chief Arbiter in hybrid events,
    - Is capable to run an online/hybrid event as the Chief Arbiter
    Candidates passing the exam will receive an official certificate from FIDE.
    Depending on the demonstrated skills, we may design different levels of certificates to better reflect
    reality (e.g. if the arbiter is highly capable of supervising games, but failed in more complex tasks devoted
    to the chief arbiter).

I am interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Dénommée View Post
    I am interested.
    Thank you Pierre, especially as Women's Coordinator, you're at the top of my list.

For any other interested Canadian Arbiters (FAs/IAs), please note that the upcoming (May?) championship events to determine Canadian representatives to the FIDE World Cup cycles are VERY UNlikely to be over-the-board. We currently expect to be hiring around 5 Arbiters for 9 evenings. If such a gig would interest you, then please consider putting your name in for this training. So far, we especially need more names from the GTA, where a lot of our players will be playing from.

Thank you, best regards, Aris Marghetis, Organizer/Chief Arbiter.

IA Michael von Keitz is also interested (I believe he's emailing in his interest today)

Quote Originally Posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
    IA Michael von Keitz is also interested (I believe he's emailing in his interest today)
    Yes he did. I am going to jump in myself.

The deadline is Apr 4; CFC wants to send the final list of Canadian arbiters to FIDE a few days earlier. CFC is willing to pay the fee of 30 EUR for every arbiter.

Expressed interest so far:

IA H.Bond
    IA M. von Keitz
    IA V.Tsypin
    IA D.Tsypina
    IA V.Rekhson
    IA P.Denommee
    R.Gillanders

F.McKIm is also interested.

If somebody else is interested, please post your name here or send me an email. Otherwise, this list (8 arbiters) will be send to FIDE later today or tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Plotkin View Post
    F.McKIm is also interested.

If somebody else is interested, please post your name here or send me an email. Otherwise, this list (8 arbiters) will be send to FIDE later today or tomorrow.
    And I believe Egis too.

Also:

E.Zeromskis
    O.Shah
    A.Kovatcheva

Total: 11

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast