Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FIDE database enhancement

Default FIDE database enhancement

Did anyone has any luck with that? I tried three times after receiving the email and I never got the required email confirmation.

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Dénommée View Post
    Did anyone has any luck with that? I tried three times after receiving the email and I never got the required email confirmation.
    I never received anything of the sort. Are you confident that it was legitimate?

Blog Entries

The database enhancement is something that we are getting from FIDE. I haven't looked at it closely recently but it is something that may not be fully set up yet.

FIDE Database enhancement is a mandatory program. It has been discussed at the FIDE AGM. Each Arbiter, Organiser and Trainer must confirm his contact information and accept the FIDE data protection policies.

Not filling this form before October 2021 will automatically result in the Arbiter, Trainer, or Organizer being marked as "inactive". The Australian Chess Federation displays the same link, so I am confident that the link is valid. Also, the site is fide.com, which is very official.

The word beta is written is a small font at the top of the form. I missed that. I do know the meaning of beta testing, so I will worry when the page becomes official and fail to work.
    Last edited by Pierre Dénommée; 03-13-2021 at 05:28 PM.

FIDE Database enhancement is a mandatory program. It has been discussed at the FIDE AGM. Each Arbiter, Organiser and Trainer must confirm his contact information and accept the FIDE data protection policies.

Not filling this form before October 2021 will automatically result in the Arbiter, Trainer, or Organizer being marked as "inactive". The Australian Chess Federation displays the same link, so I am confident that the link is valid. Also, the site is fide.com, which is very official.
    I expect that we're going to hear more about this. From what I've heard in back channels, the forced "inactivation" measure has led to some spirited discussions.

I would be interested to know when your submission does seem to have worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
    I expect that we're going to hear more about this. From what I've heard in back channels, the forced "inactivation" measure has led to some spirited discussions.

I would be interested to know when your submission does seem to have worked.
    I have never succeeded despite three attempts.

Bonjour Pierre,

Yes, you are absolutely correct. Allow me to share more information in order to clear some confusion.

The principal goal of the DB Enhancement exercise is to bring FIDE closer to being GDPR-compliant. The General Data Protection Regulation 2016/679 - a regulation on data protection and privacy in the European Union and the European Economic Area – came in force in May 2018. Soon after the October 2018 elections, FIDE formed the Data Protection Committee led by the FIDE COO Willy Iclicki (LIE) and powered by Attorney Marco Biagioli (ITA). The DPC worked in close collaboration with the Management Board and the FIDE Council for a year, presenting the first draft of proposals to the in-person MB meeting that was held concurrently with the WRBC in Moscow in December 2019.

Another year was needed to adjust and to finalize the implementation strategy. Me Biagioli reported to the MB on several occasions. FIDE Vice-President Michael Khodarkovsky (USA) supervised the final stage. In January 2021, the PR Department was charged with informing the chess public widely about the goals and procedures for the campaign. Once all federations were made aware, individual Trainers, Arbiters, and Organizers (TAO) were asked to fill the form.

This initiative is supposed to ensure that all TAO use opt-in for storing their personal data, in compliance with the GDPR requirements. Those who didn’t fill the form until October 31 would be considered inactive. In parallel, the Trainers’ Commission, the Arbiters’ Commission, and the Events Commission were instructed to change their title application forms to comply with the guidance from the FIDE Data Protection Committee, as the Qualification Commission has already done

People from several countries reported various malfunctions during the first weeks of rollout. From my discussions with the Commission chairmen over the week-end, important bugs in the IT system were fixed and confirmation e-mails should have gone out today.
    Last edited by Vadim Tsypin; 03-15-2021 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Vadim Tsypin View Post
    The principal goal of the DB Enhancement exercise is to bring FIDE closer to being GDPR-compliant. The General Data Protection Regulation 2016/679 - a regulation on data protection and privacy in the European Union and the European Economic Area – came in force in May 2018.

This initiative is supposed to ensure that all TAO use opt-in for storing their personal data, in compliance with the GDPR requirements. Those who didn’t fill the form until October 31 would be considered inactive.
    Hello everyone,

Since we are talking about GDPR, it was funny for me to read the following paragraph on the CFC website:

Privacy Policy

WARNING: Leave this website immediately if you are a citizen of the European Union (EU) and/or covered by the EU’s GDPR regulations. This website may or may not comply with GDPR. We simply do not know as the GDPR regulations are too confusing, time consuming, and/or silly for us to comprehend.

I have received an email confirmation. I hope that is is not a spoof.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast