Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: CFC FIDE Representative election - Feb 2021

Default Section 4

I will facilitate the advancement of Canadian players, trainers, and arbiters and will advocate for them tirelessly. The Canadian federation and its FIDE Representative shall firmly support any CFC member in their interactions with FIDE, be it title applications for our players / coaches / arbiters, tournament participation requests, arbiter appointments. The CFC FIDE Representative shall be proactive, liaising with FIDE bodies and doing everything appropriate to advance Canadian causes.

At the 2020 FIDE World Online Youth Championship, one of the most brilliant Canadian young players stumbled during the preliminary stage and didn’t qualify for the finals. I knew that the organizers - FIDE itself – had a wild card that they could use at their discretion. I picked up the phone, called a FIDE Vice-President who supervised the competition, and put together a case for assigning the wild card to this young Canadian, given their distinguished track record in over-the-board continental competitions. My arguments were found solid and our player received the wild card, becoming one of 16 to compete in the final. This is an example of efficient and ethical advocacy that I will continue.

Default Section 5

For the purposes of organizing the World Championship Cycle and to facilitate awarding player titles, FIDE groups its member countries into sets called “FIDE zones” that are further divided into subzones. There are more than thirty such zones and subzones in FIDE. They would typically group from three to twenty-two countries each.

There are only six FIDE member countries that have their own zones. Here they are, with their respective positions in the Top Federations rating list.

Code:
    Europe:
    1		 Russia	 2730
    5		 Ukraine 2665
    Asia:
    3		 China	 2702
    4		 India	 2668
    The Americas:
    2		 USA	 2713
    34		 Canada	 2534
    Yes, the countries that enjoy their own zones and all the perks that come with them are # 1, # 2, # 3, # 4, # 5 – and # 34, Canada! FIDE was very kind to us in this respect and I will strengthen the affinity between the CFC and FIDE so that our country continues to benefit from this arrangement.

Having its own zone allows Canadian players, male and female, to earn norms in competitions on our soil, at home, without crippling travel expenses that are especially painful for up-and-coming juniors and their parents. Having its own zone allows Canadians a shot at direct titles in our home-based Zonal tournaments (the requirements became more severe in recent years but there is always a chance that they can be loosened again). Having its own zone allows Canada to have more places both in the World Cup and in Women’s World Cup.

One of my highest priorities as the CFC FIDE Representative will be to preserve Canada's own zone.

Default Section 6

I will establish or strengthen horizontal ties with fellow FIDE Members, other National Chess Federations (NCFs). Decentralization and professional networks is the key in our day and age. My healthy friendly relationships both within FIDE management and with the executives of key chess federation in the Americas, Asia and Europe will allow me to obtain unique opportunities for Canadian players and officials, especially for the young players.

I will continue working tirelessly to leverage my international connections for the benefit of Canadians. One of the achievements I am the most proud of is getting Canadian teenagers invited to participate in an all-expense-paid trip to the 14th edition of the Vladimir Dvorkovich Cup. This high-profile international competition organized by the FIDE President annually in memory of his late father, a renowned International Arbiter, is called an unofficial World Youth Team Championship (the average rating of invited teams is higher than even at the FIDE Youth Olympiad) and is contested by teams from all four FIDE continents.

Thanks to an agreement I was able to reach, in 2019 it was Team Canada rather than Team USA that was invited from the Americas. Thus, 2019 marked the first appearance of Team Canada at this prestigious event. The four Canadian players (2F, 2M) from Fredericton, NB, Ottawa and Windsor, ON, were selected by the CFC in a transparent process. I acted as a captain and personally flew the team halfway around the world, to Aktobe, Kazakhstan, where young Canadian stars experienced a diverse sports and cultural program, establishing lasting friendships with their peers worldwide.

Default Section 7

I will work with the CFC Executive, provincial associations, chess organizers, local tourism bureaus and chambers of commerce to bring FIDE events to Canada. There are two major types of FIDE events: summits (a FIDE Congress, an in-person FIDE Council meeting, an in-person Management Board meeting) and competitions (the World and Continental events, including those for Youth, Seniors, and Disabled players). Our federation has licensed International Organizers who are the only people allowed to sign bids for FIDE events. When communities and corporate sponsors support, we shall not hesitate to bid on the World (L1 level) FIDE competitions, starting with some simpler ones.

Canada shall have a more fruitful and mutually beneficial partnership with our continental body, the Confederation of Chess for Americas (CCA). We shall establish a rotation schedule similar to those that already exists for the North America Youth Ch. In this case, Canada will be able to host Panamerican Open, Women’s, Youth, Scholastic, and others.

Default Section 8

Canada has great coaches and arbiters who are excellent in passing on knowledge to others. FIDE has a variety of programs where stronger chess countries help developing nations. These programs are financed from the FIDE Development Fund. Of particular interest to Canadian professionals are the help programs for such newly admitted Caribbean nations as St. Lucia, Grenada, Cayman Islands, St. Kitts and Nevis.

I will make sure that Canada participates in these programs so that our coaches and arbiters have a chance to train players and officials in the Caribbean.

Default Section 9

The CFC’s daily operations are a labour of love by our great Executive Director Bob Gillanders. Bob is doing a great job, despite being constantly overworked in having to combine essentially several demanding positions: the Executive Director, the Technical Director, The Rating Officer, and the Titles Officer.

As a person responsible for procurement within FIDE, I will share with the CFC the best practices of FIDE’s own offices around the world and those of leading national federations. I will help Bob and the CFC Executive to identify which logistical solutions and software platforms used by our colleagues worldwide might be beneficial for Canada.

Default Conclusion

I am running for the CFC FIDE Representative in order to serve the Canadian chess community, to become its steward at FIDE, and to provide for its well-being. I will devote all my energy to serving your interests. I truly believe that our big chess family deserves a much better life, and I promise to use all my knowledge, skills and experience to make it happen.

Let’s succeed and prosper together!

One of the many ways FIDE helps people worldwide is through the projects managed by its Social Commission in coordination with other stakeholders.

As we all know, the First FIDE Online World Corporate Chess Championship will be played next weekend (February 19-21). There are 284 teams registered from 78 different countries, for a total 1,467 players.

FIDE doesn't charge an entry fee of any kind for this competition. However, FIDE organized a fundraiser in cooperation with the Softgiving platform. Participating companies are encouraged to donate towards one of three FIDE social projects:
    • Chess in Education programs for underprivileged children,
    • Chess for people with Disabilities,
    • Veteran support program.

Members of the public can contribute as well on a dedicated page:
    https://give.softgiving.com/FIDE

As part of his campaign, Vadim sent an email to me (!!) with a great offer to publicly support and endorse him, because he is the best candidate for this position.

Maybe I am just an old-fashioned person. Maybe I am still living in the 19th century. Maybe I don't understand modern trends in chess politics. But I don't understand this at all. How could a candidate send this kind of email to another candidate with such a peculiar proposal?

Vadim believes that he is the best candidate... and that may be the case. Vadim believes that he will get overwhelming support in every province... possible as well. However, as a respectful human being he shouldn't send this sort of email to another candidate.

It's like if I were to play chess against Vadim and propose that he resigns in the initial position, before the game even starts. Why? Because I am a better player and will very likely win this game anyway.

CFC chess politics is really funny sometimes.

Default Team Canada

Dear colleagues, honourable Voting Members:

During the four weeks of the election campaign I had the privilege to reach out, personally and in groups, to more than thirty of you via Zoom, WhatsApp, or phone, and to even more via e-mail. From sea to shining sea, from Charlottetown to Victoria, you kindly shared with me your concerns. Concerns about support for dues-paying rank and file members who play chess at a club level. Concerns about assistance to local organizers. Concerns about fairness in distribution of both CFC flagship events and other marquee events among four major geographical regions of our great country. I answered your questions, provided information and source materials. I was already able to help your important projects on some occasions.

My published program resonated with you, the voters, and with the CFC grassroots. On this very forum, I was humbled to be publicly endorsed by two distinguished members of the Canadian Women’s Olympiad teams, by a captain of a Canadian team playing in the World Corporate Ch., by the best Head of Delegation our World Youth contingents ever knew. The legendary GM Lev Alburt and others endorsed me on their Facebooks, as did some young up-and-coming players whose first steps in chess I was fortunate to nurture a decade ago. I am grateful for your widespread support. I welcome all endorsements, public and private. I call upon every CFC member to join me under a big tent with the Maple Leaf proudly painted on the top.

There is such a wealth of talented, intelligent, hard-working people who devote their time to chess at scholastic, club, and elite levels! Together, united, with the help of FIDE and in partnership with our biggest ally the USCF and other national federations, we can usher in a new golden age for chess in Canada. There is a place for everyone - Aris, Victor, Hal, Mahmud, Egis – for everyone who loves Canadian chess and is willing to put their considerable talents to serve the game we love. Everyone is welcome to do what his skills set allows. I am a consensus builder. Let us combine our efforts and pull together for the prosperity of Canadian chess!

Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast