Page 11 of 35 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: CFC FIDE Representative election - Feb 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Itkin View Post
    Aris is also a good candidate.

The answer to your question you can find in my original post:

From this point of view, Victor Plotkin, as a candidate for this position, has an obvious advantage over other two candidates
    In my opinion Victor's set of skills includes primarily playing and coaching skills. However I'd doubted his diplomacy talents, perhaps, and in any case to get to the level where Vadim already is will take Victor 2 to 5 years - if he is successful...

However Vadim has everything in one package today, ALREADY! So is CFC better off to have someone who'll hopefully deliver something in the next few years at the best, or somebody who has ALL required connections and experience to do it all not even in the next day or two, but actually TODAY?

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha Starr View Post
    In my opinion Victor's set of skills includes primarily playing and coaching skills. However I'd doubted his diplomacy talents, perhaps, and in any case to get to the level where Vadim already is will take Victor 2 to 5 years - if he is successful...

However Vadim has everything in one package today, ALREADY! So is CFC better off to have someone who'll hopefully deliver something in the next few years at the best, or somebody who has ALL required connections and experience to do it all not even in the next day or two, but actually TODAY?
    A bit presumptuous to declare that Victor could deliver something in the next few years at best. You haven't the faintest idea what the future holds. Speculating is one thing, but you declared that as a foregone conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Lombard View Post
    In my view, sports related matters may not fall into the same category unless, again, the person making the decision and responsible for the vote, will obtain a personal benefit. Having dual citizenships does not, in my view, in and of itself, qualify as a conflict of interest. It seems to me that we now live in a highly transient society where people move from one country to another on a regular basis, often obtaining dual citizenship. I'm assuming that all three candidates are Canadian citizens and have been so for a number of years. It may be that the CFC should look at its Representative qualifications and have a requirement of "x" number of years Canadian citizenship before becoming a Representative on an international chess organization (or maybe we already do ?).
    Dear Lloyd, thank you for emphasizing this important angle.

FIDE's policies are completely aligned with what you wrote. As a result of an initiative spearheaded by FIDE Vice-President GM Nigel Short, the new FIDE Charter includes the following provision.

17.6 Presidents and delegates may only represent one Member Federation at a time and must, on the date of the meeting of the General Assembly, have either:
    - a citizenship or at least two years’ residency of the country or territory they represent, or
    - at least one year experience as an office holder of this Member Federation.
    Pleased to make a voluntary disclosure now:
    • I, Vadim Tsypin, have been granted the Canadian permanent resident status in 1992 and immigrated to Canada as per the Federal Skilled Worker program.
    • I, Vadim Tsypin, have the honour of being Canadian citizen since 1996.
    • I hold no other citizenship and always travel the world, for business or pleasure, on a Canadian passport.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Clark View Post
    A bit presumptuous to declare that Victor could deliver something in the next few years at best. You haven't the faintest idea what the future holds. Speculating is one thing, but you declared that as a foregone conclusion.
    No, I'm not declaring anything. Agree, no one has the "faintest idea what the future holds". One more time - I'm not declaring anything. Never mind foregone conclusion.
    Instead of attacking my post say something of a substance if you can, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Francis Rodrigues View Post
    Egis, with all due respect, many Fide officials wear
    numerous hats - it's the nature of talent to oversee
    various branches of administration - and is common
    to all sports organizations.

The NFP strictures relate to local bodies, not Fide.

You are a smart man, and I'm sure you know better
    If we follow this canard - all 3 candidates should be
    disqualified on grounds of 'conflict of interest'!

1. The Fide rep is responsible for selecting Arbiters
    to do lucrative international duty - this selection
    being coordinated with the Fide Arbiters Commission.

One of the candidates for Fide rep has posted his own
    membership of the Fide Arbiters Commision!! What's to
    stop him selecting himself, a direct conflict of interest!

2. The Fide rep coordinates with the Fide Board to
    certify international master and grandmaster norms,
    sometimes in circumstances that require personal
    intervention from the Fide rep to push the title through.

Another candidate here has a child on the path to
    achieving the grandmaster title. Shouldn't he recuse
    himself on the grounds of 'conflict of interest?'

I have no skin in this game! Just want to see a level
    playing field, and the most suitable candidate elected!
    Thank you for the kind words. The next time we'll meet and hopefully soon, we shall discuss more about current FIDE than my son or old interviews. It might be a more productive talk

As you pulled in arbiters and family members, you needed to add (3) to combine them together, didnt'?
    .*-1

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Lombard View Post
    I have not dealt with business conflict of interest issues for "many" years and I have not done a comprehensive review of the FIDE and CFC legislation, policies and/or guidelines on the issue
    At this moment, the CFC has not a (special) policy/guidelines/procedure regarding conflict of interests. (special) -- anything beyond the NFP Act.

The "older" handbook had a clause about "chess business" persons not eligible to be executives. Is it still valid? The question was raised amongst Execs. (need to follow up)
    .*-1

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
    At this moment, the CFC has not a (special) policy/guidelines/procedure regarding conflict of interests. (special) -- anything beyond the NFP Act.

The "older" handbook had a clause about "chess business" persons not eligible to be executives. Is it still valid? The question was raised amongst Execs. (need to follow up)

The clause is superseded by the NFP act. It looks to me that you are putting forward arguments using the old handbook when it suits your aim and ignoring it when it doesn't. The handbook is our policy except where it directly contradicts the act. In this case it does contradict the act. This clause is there to keep Larry Bevand from becoming CFC president. I'm not going to comment on the utility of passing a law to keep one person out of a particular position when that person has been wildly successful in similar positions.

If Larry Bevand were to run for CFC president, I might campaign for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    The handbook is our policy except where it directly contradicts the act. In this case it does contradict the act.
    How?

You're are welcome to point when I'm ignoring as well.
    .*-1

Honourable Voting Members,
    Dear colleagues:

I am grateful to the renowned Toronto-based entrepreneur and chess promoter Alexander Starr for an invitation to appear on his popular weekly IBM TV show alongside with my dear old friend, the leading world expert in cheating detection Prof. Kenneth Regan, GM and prize-winning author of chess books Mihail Marin, and the artist Maria Yugina. I am proud to become the first-ever Canadian guest there.

Among other pressing topics, we have discussed several issues regarding FIDE and its support for national federations that are directly relevant to the present election. I cordially invite those of you who didn't have a chance to catch a live broadcast to watch its recording.

A word of warning: "Intended for mature audiences only. This show contains scenes that some viewers may find disturbing. Viewer discretion is advised."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFhwjmxNhbs

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by David Cummings, IM
    I would like to express my support for Victor Plotkin as candidate for the CFC FIDE Representative position. I have known Victor for more than 10 years, facing him numerous times over the chessboard as well as playing under his captaincy at the 2018 and 2019 FIDE World Senior Team Championships. In all my interactions with Victor, he has demonstrated the highest levels of sportsmanship and integrity. In my opinion, he is ideally qualified for the FIDE rep position, offering a strong combination of leadership skills, business acumen, and a deep knowledge of Canadian and world chess. His wide experience encompasses the roles of national team captain, chess parent, and IM-strength player, which makes him well attuned to the perspectives of key stakeholders. I warmly recommend Victor for this important role.

David Cummings, IM

David is another friendly Toronto area player who is often seen in tournaments in Toronto, Kitchener and surrounding regions. He is a regular contributor to Chesspublishing.com on the topic of flank openings like the English which he has also written books on. The excellent book published three or four years ago suggested a repertoire which offered a non-fianchetto approach to the opening for white. David was also a Canadian over 50 Seniors champion and I believe he won the continental event as well. He gave an entertaining lecture on the English in Sault Ste. Marie at the time of the Canadian Open in 2017.

Page 11 of 35 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast