Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: CFC FIDE Representative election - Feb 2021

Blog Entries

Default CFC FIDE Representative election - Feb 2021

There will be an election for the position of CFC FIDE representative at the special meeting starting February 21st. This thread is for candidates to announce and for discussion about the election.

Dear chess friends and colleagues across Canada,

In compliance with the election procedures published by the CFC, I have declared my candidacy for the position of the FIDE Representative by notifying the CFC Secretary today. As per the procedures, I will provide all required documents to the CFC by Sunday, February 14.

I truly believe that my background in chess governance, including being a core member of the new FIDE management team since the 2018 FIDE elections, makes me the best candidate for this position. I am confident that I will be able to open the door wide for Canada into world chess and to bring exciting opportunities for Canadian players, coaches, and organizers. I hope that you will entrust me with the development of the CFC’s future at FIDE and vote for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    There will be an election for the position of CFC FIDE representative at the special meeting starting February 21st. This thread is for candidates to announce and for discussion about the election.

Hello everyone, this post is to confirm I am running for the position of CFC FIDE Representative.

I have also advised CFC Secretary Lyle Craver.

Thank you, best regards, Aris Marghetis.

Honourable Voting Members,
    Forum users:

I am privileged to present my condensed CV. Please see attached.

Since 2018, FIDE was completely reorganized as a modern, transparent, democratic, business-like sports federation, which allowed it to attract reputable Western sponsors. FIDE has a fully funded budget, audited annually by Ernst & Young. Every year - 2019, 2020, 2021 - we process financial aid applications from National Chess Federations, event organizers, seniors, indigent players, women's groups, scholastic associations, and others; we provide the support requested and distribute the corresponding grants. I believe that my being a core member of the FIDE management makes me the best person to lobby for Canada's interests, to help Canadians navigate support / development programs and to prepare aid applications.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Vlad, thanks for opening this discussion. I would like to provide my perspective as a chess dad, and as a former three-time Head of Delegation for Team Canada at the WYCC.

I have had only positive experiences with Aris Marghetis over the years, including when he was an Arbiter at the WYCC in Halkidiki, Greece in 2010, when I was Assistant HOD under him at the NAYCC in Tarrytown, NY in 2011, and when he was an Arbiter at the CYCC in Ottawa in 2013.

That said, I would like to confirm my support for Vadim Tsypin for the role of FIDE Representative from the Chess Federation of Canada. Vadim is highly qualified for this role from two key perspectives:
    - Representing Canadian chess within FIDE. Vadim understands and has deep connections within the FIDE organization. He has been serving as a member of the FIDE Management Board for the past several years. He has become a licensed International Arbiter, and has taught FIDE Arbiter courses in several countries.
    - Representing children’s chess within Canada. I have known Vadim for almost a decade since we first met as chess dads at a CYCC. Since then, Vadim has played many leadership roles to promote children’s chess. Initially, Vadim served as Assistant Head of Delegation to me at the 2013 WYCC in UAE, where his organization skills were invaluable. Vadim has gone on to organize and/or to be an arbiter at CYCCs, to serve in Chess ‘n Math Association’s leadership, and to organize the qualification process for the annual Susan Polgar Invitational for girls.

On a personal level, I have known Vadim to be fair, impartial, transparent, an advocate for the under-represented, committed without the need for personal gain, and articulate. I am confident that Vadim would represent the CFC’s and the Canadian chess community’s interests well as our FIDE Representative.

I am running for the position of CFC FIDE Representative.

Blog Entries

We have three good candidates for this position.

The election will be first past the post. The person with a plurality of the votes wins even if it is not a majority.

All three candidates along with any new entrants will be provided with contact information of voting members upon request, simultaneously (as much as possible). They will need to make a statutory required statement that they will only use the list of emails for purposes of this election or other business related to their roles as voting members.

We hope that each candidate will provide us with their vision for the CFC and its relationship with FIDE going into the future.

Default Clarification

[QUOTE=Vadim Tsypin;36141]Dear chess friends and colleagues across Canada,

I truly believe that my background in chess governance, including being a core member of the new FIDE management team since the 2018 FIDE elections, makes me the best candidate for this position.

Hi Vadim,

Thank you for putting your name forward and thank you for disclosing that you are "a core member of the new FIDE management team". Not withstanding your claimed chess activities, I have three questions for you.

1- Does not this disqualify you from representing Canada? To my mind, you are clearly in a conflict of interest position. This should be clear to you and to the voting members. So, which hat will you be wearing and which interest will you be advancing? FIDE or CFC?

2- Do you receive any compensation for your management position in FIDE?

3- Are you currently a governor or a management member of any CFC rival association or organization?

If "yes" to either Question 2 or Question 3, then you must not be a CFC voting member either because it is also a conflict of interest.

Thank you
    Mahmud

A. Bio

1. Was born in 1968 in Leningrad (St.-Petersburg), Soviet Union (Russia). Immigrated to Israel in 1991 and to Canada in 2002.

Education: 1985-1991 Leningrad Technical University (2 year break for Soviet Army).
    1991-1994 Technion (Haifa, Israel) - Masters degree in Math.

2. Portfolio manager since 1991. Manage 2 hedge funds and some big individual clients. Interesting that strong chess players (2000+) make up more than 50% of AUM (assets under management).

3. Married with 3 kids. Rina (CFC 1356), Mark (CFC 2549) and Julia (CFC 1150).

4. Started playing chess at age of 7 in Palace of Pioneers, Leningrad. Played in different team events across the Soviet Union with some famous future GMs: Kamsky, Khalifman, Sakaev and others. Got Candidate Master title in 1984. Wasn't strong enough to get the FIDE rating. Quit chess in 1985 and did not play serious chess games until 2005.

Restarted my chess career in 2003 playing blitz at the Dutton-Dobrich chess club. Got my first FIDE rating in 2005, slightly below 2200.

Got FIDE Master title in 2011 at the Canadian Closed. Didn't feel comfortable with this title since my rating was always below 2300. Finally crossed 2300 level in 2014.

Have 2 IM norms (both from Gibraltar). Current rating 2367. I am extremely overrated now. However... while many players improved their rating by 200 points in 15 years, very few did it from age 37 to age 52 at this level.

5. Have significant experience in different major international events. Attended 4 WYCC with Mark (2010-2013). Played in 5 Gibraltar Open, likely one of the strongest open tournaments. Played in 2 World Senior Championship (2018, 2019).

4 times served as the Captain of Canadian National Team (2012-2018). The best result was 11th place in 2016. My strategy "Eric Hansen plays white" worked well and likely improved our performance.

Served as a coach/captain at U16 Olympiad (Hungary, 2014) for 2 Canadian Teams.

Was a player/captain at World Team Senior in 2018 and 2020. Special thanks to my teammates D.Cummings, I.Findlay and M.Barron for a good atmosphere and strong performance in these events.

6. CFC voting member since 2015 (Master Representative). Made major changes in Olympic rules with F. McKim (2016). While many members didn't like the idea of a Selection Committee, it was finally eliminated only after our motions.

Bonuses and penalties for Canadian Closed likely increased the motivation of strong players to participate in this tournament. I want to thank A.Marghetis and his team for an excellent job organizing last Canadian Closed (2019), which was probably the strongest Closed of the last 20 years. Hopefully, our motions also contributed to this success.

Did research with our Rating Auditor P. Leblanc which demonstrated the significant CFC-FIDE gap. The results and recommendations were approved by the CFC President. Now every player without a CFC rating (but with established FIDE) gets CFC = FIDE + 125 initial rating.

B. Platform

1. CFC-FIDE relationship.

On Aug 6, 2018 (2 months before the FIDE election) I posted on Chesstalk "Probably, Dvorkovich becomes a favorite to win the president election". I tried to convince the CFC leadership to support him, but the executives supported Macro.

Generally speaking, I am moderately satisfied with his presidentship so far, I give him a B+ for what he has done so far. I liked some changes that he made for the Championship Circle. The Grand Swiss giving the winner a spot in the Candidate Tournament (instead of qualification by rating) looks like a big improvement. Some progress has been made in the Women championship circle. I do have my personal opinion about transparency and sponsorship issues, but would prefer to discuss it in a different format.

I did not like Dvorkovich's crisis management skills and his decisions for the Candidate Tournament and during online Olympiad. At the same time, it's not fair to criticize him - it was a very difficult and completely new situation, which required some tough decisions.

Vlad mentioned "strained" CFC-FIDE relationship. I am sure I can improve it, if elected. My generally positive attitude towards the current FIDE leadership will not guarantee automatic support. If I have to object or ask unpleasant questions, I'll do it.

The CFC needs to work more with FIDE, and especially with FIDE America to get more Pan-American tournaments to Canada. I am talking not only about the American championship, but also about Youth, Junior, Women and Senior events.

I see this process as a long term project, which requires a lot of time and effort. However, we need to start working on it.

If elected, I would pay special attention to international team events, which are, from my experience, the most interesting and memorable tournaments, especially for young players.

Canada has excellent arbiters and I will try my best to get more official FIDE events for them.

I am sure I can communicate with the current FIDE leadership. I spoke with E.Sutovsky many times at Chess Olympiads and in Gibraltar. I have never spoken with Dvorkovich, but we have a lot in common and it shouldn't be difficult to build a solid relationship. In fact my oldest daughter graduated from the same Law School at Duke University last year.

If elected, I will not hesitate to ask for help and advice from Vadim Tsypin (who is very close to the current FIDE leadership) in certain situations. I was a good student my entire life. I learn fast.

2. Work with CFC president.

I know Vlad for many years, and we were able to build a very good relationship well before he became the CFC president (2013) and my first involvement in Olympiad Team (2012). I believe, as a human being, I understand him well.

For the last several years, we have had a lot of conversations about a variety of issues. Sometimes he accepted my point, sometimes he preferred his own solution. However, I was always able to express and explain my opinion.

While I am not happy with some of his recent decisions, I am absolutely sure we can successfully collaborate for the best of CFC and Canadian chess in general.

3. FIDE representative is also a director who should participate in voting. With my experience as a player, parent, captain, and voting member, I hope to provide enough logic and common sense. At the same time, I will be quiet if I am not competent enough for some problems.

The main point for me - we should follow our own rules. If we don't like them, we have to change them from time to time; but we have to adhere to them. Consistently following our own rules is key to improving the CFC image and allowing us to get more respect from regular players.

C. Personal

My previous public election was in 2012 for the position of Olympic Team Captain. There were 3 candidates for this position: Y.Ochkoos, V.Rekhson and myself. Only 5 team players were allowed to vote. I won with the smallest possible margin. For me, it is very important to remain on good terms with other candidates and I am really happy that we managed to maintain a good and respectful relationship.

I hope for the same with both A.Marghetis and V.Tsypin.

Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast