Page 30 of 35 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: CFC FIDE Representative election - Feb 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Plotkin View Post
    This morning, I got a call from my friend and long-time business partner. He is a Soviet Union CM that currently lives in St. Petersburg Russia. I have been friends with him since 1976. Currently, he is not an active chess player, however, occasionally plays blitz in St. Petersburg. He informed me that he recently got a very strange call from a well-known chess organizer named Vladimir Bykov (V.B).

V.B asked my friend whether he knew of me, and of course he answered yes, because we are long-time friends. Bykov informed my friend that Victor Plotkin is currently participating in a chess election in Canada against Vadim Tsypin. Bykov told my friend that "Vadim is a good guy and Victor Plotkin should step down from his candidacy." Some very influential people in the FIDE had asked Bykov to call my friend.

When my friend told me about the call between him and Bykov, I was very surprised. In Russia, calling someone and giving such a powerful message is a clear threat. After some hesitation, I decided to contact Emil Sutovsky, and I asked him for his advice regarding this information.

Here are the most important parts of our chat translated into English (it was in Russian, on Facebook Messenger):

V.P: Hello, Emil! I hope you remember me - we have interacted numerous times at Olympiads and in Gibraltar. I recall that in Canada's match against Israel, you beat Gerzhoy on the second board, in the Carro-Cann. The match ended with a score of 2-2.

E.S: Victor, of course I remember you, I also remember seeing you at Aeroflot Opens.

I explained the situation to him, he understood and took it very seriously. It was a priority for him to assure me that the FIDE is unrelated here.

V.P: Emil, there is no doubt in my mind that neither you, nor Dvorkovich, have any relation to this whatsoever. Rather, all I'm asking for is some advice, from friend to friend. I ask that you understand me correctly - what happened today was absolutely brutal for me to hear.

E.S: Why do you need to consider Bykov's opinion?

V.P: Of course, I have no intention of heeding his advice. But it is evident to me that Tsypin initiated this. This all seems somewhat disturbing, wouldn't you agree?

E.S: Certainly. Well, the question here is whether or not Tsypin crossed any lines, made any threats, or did anything of the sort.

He then asked me about my opinion on this election, my answer was that it is approximately equal at this point, because many players support me, but Tsypin has the support of the President and of some chess politicians.

E.S: I understand. Disregard this (Bykov's message). This most certainly doesn't improve his image. I can only reiterate that under no circumstances can we try to have an impact. And if anyone suggests this, it's a lie.

I thanked him for discussing this with me. Soon after, he asked about the reason behind Marghetis' resignation.

V.P: He did it in my favor, I want to emphasize that I did not initiate this, and had never asked him about it. Why? It seems that I, a more neutral candidate in this instance, was suitable, in his view. I am not an arbiter, I don't earn money from chess, and I am not looking for personal benefits from this position.

E.S: You are a surprisingly decent person for a candidate.

Sutovsky took this issue very seriously, and immediately informed the FIDE President, Arkady Dvorkovich. Very soon after this, Vlad Drkulec, Vadim Tsypin, and I received an official email from a FIDE lawyer stating:

"Dear colleagues. I am writing this letter on behalf of the FIDE President.

In connection with a number of questions that arise regarding the upcoming elections of Canada’s representative in FIDE, we would like to officially assure FIDE’s position.
    FIDE always takes an absolutely neutral position on elections in any federation, considers elections to be the internal affair of each federation, and works equally fruitfully and constructively with any representative elected in the respective federation."

I do not know if Vadim crossed a line, and I don't have enough evidence to take this to court, nor do I have any intention of doing this as of now. Actually, I don't know Bykov at all, and likely, before last week, he was not aware of my existence either. The only person who could have initiated this chain of contacts is Tsypin, who tried to put some pressure on me to step down from this election. This reflects so negatively on his personality. I don't understand how any voting member, with the best interests of Canadian chess in mind, would be ready to support him.
    Mr. Plotkin,

Your campaign has been spreading various baseless vile allegations far and wide, including to FIDE. Your character assassination tactic timed for the last day before the vote is a gambler's last desperate attempt.

Esteemed Voting Members have already requested you to provide proof, starting with an affidavit from your unnamed friend. You didn't.

Here's a testimony from International Organizer, International Arbiter Vladimir Bykov. Mr. Bykov - whose name you claim to not know - is loved and respected worldwide. Among other accomplishments, he was the chief local organizer of the 2018 World Rapid and Blitz Ch. For many years, Mr. Bykov is the captain of the famed Bronze Horseman team that includes
    • Peter Svidler
    • Nikita Vityugov
    • Kirill Alekseenko
    • Maxim Matlakov
    • Andrey Esipenko
    • Maxim Rodstein
    • Pavel Ponkratov

This testimony exposes the falsehood and the true intent of Mr. Plotkin's allegations.

---------- Original message ---------
    Date: Tue, Feb 23, 2021 at 9:22 AM

Я Быков Владимир Владимирович, 1976 г.р. имею степень кандидата экономических наук (с 2000г.), преподаю в СПб государственном экономическом университете с 2001г. С 2000г. занимаюсь шахматной деятельностью как организатор и арбитр. С 2006 работаю в городской шахматной федерации. Кроме того с 2002г. являюсь капитаном женской и мужской профессиональных шахматных команд (ФИНЭК, СПБШФ, Медный всадник), которые 8 раз побеждали в чемпионатах России и два раза выигрывали Кубок Европы. Имею звания IO (2011) и*IA (2019).

С Вадимом Цыпиным меня связывает давняя дружба, мы постоянно ведем переписку личного характера и именно из нее я узнал о выборах представителя от Канады в ФИДЕ. От Вадима я узнавал обо всех перипетиях предвыборной гонки, поскольку мне было интересно как происходят подобные процессы в странах с устойчивой демократией. Я всегда был убежден, что конкурентные выборы приобретают легитимность при нормальном диалоге между кандидатами и максимально открытом общении с избирателями. Поэтому был удивлен, когда узнал от Вадима, что все кандидаты кроме него отказались от публичных дебатов и ведут диалог между собой исключительно через соцсети.

Зная, что основным оппонентом Вадима на выборах является мой земляк г-н Плоткин (с которым я не знаком лично), я счел возможным 20 февраля позвонить его близкому другу Владимиру Нехамкину, которого я знаю более 10 лет, и попросить его о посредничестве в налаживании прямого диалога между господами Плоткиным и Цыпиным. Раз уж не публичные дебаты, то хотя бы нормальное общение. Однако потом я узнал, что по версии г-на Плоткина я просил его снять свою кандидатуру(!!!). В действительности ничего такого не было и быть не могло. Я искренне желаю победы на выборах моему другу Вадиму Цыпину, считаю, что он хорошо знаком с работой ФИДЕ и может принести много пользы канадским шахматам. При этом я считаю категорически недопустимым вмешательство в выборный процесс. Также считаю абсолютно неуместным обнародование г-ном Плоткиным каких-либо деталей телефонного разговора при котором он даже не присутствовал.

--
    Владимир Быков
    Machine translation
    ---------- Original message ---------
    Date: Tue, Feb 23, 2021 at 9:22 AM

I am Vladimir Vladimirovich Bykov, born in 1976. I have a PhD in Economics (since 2000), I have been teaching at St. Petersburg State University of Economics since 2001. Since 2000 I am engaged in chess activities as an organizer and arbiter. Since 2006 I have been working in the city chess federation. In addition, since 2002. I am the captain of the women's and men's professional chess teams (FINEK, SPBShF, Bronze Horseman), which have won 8 Russian championships and have won the European Cup twice. I have the titles of IO (2011) and IA (2019).

I have a long-standing friendship with Vadim Tsypin, we constantly carry on personal correspondence and it was from her that I learned about the election of a representative from Canada to FIDE. From Vadim I learned about all the vicissitudes of the pre-election race, because I was interested in how such processes occur in countries with stable democracies. I have always been convinced that competitive elections acquire legitimacy through normal dialogue between candidates and the most open communication with voters. Therefore, I was surprised when I learned from Vadim that all the candidates except him refused to public debate and are engaged in dialogue with each other exclusively through social networks.

Knowing that Vadim's main opponent in the elections is my fellow countryman Mr. Plotkin (with whom I do not know personally), I found it possible on February 20 to call his close friend Vladimir Nekhamkin, whom I have known for more than 10 years, and ask him to mediate in establishing a direct dialogue between Messrs. Plotkin and Tsypin. Since not a public debate, then at least normal communication. However, later I found out that according to Mr. Plotkin's version, I asked him to withdraw his candidacy (!!!). In reality, nothing like that happened and could not be. I sincerely wish my friend Vadim Tsypin to win the elections, I believe that he is well acquainted with the work of FIDE and can be of great benefit to Canadian chess. At the same time, I believe that interference in the electoral process is categorically inadmissible. I also consider it absolutely inappropriate for Mr. Plotkin to disclose any details of the telephone conversation during which he was not even present.

-
    Vladimir Bykov
    Last edited by Vadim Tsypin; 02-23-2021 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Formatting

Today morning I got an email from FIDE:

Dear collegues.

I write to your this letter on behalf of mister Dvorkovich, his decision below:

FIDE President's decision:

Given that:
    FIDE Management Board member Vadim Tsypin is participating in the election of the representative of Canada in FIDE
    there is evidence of a possible violation of ethical standards,
    it resolved

suspend the powers of V. Tsypin as a member and secretary of the FIDE Management Board until the end of the relevant investigation with immediately effect.
    Bravo, Victor, with the Vadim's suspension as a member and secretary of the FIDE Management Board the stakes have been raised substantially! A great game! No prisoners are taken! Will see if it will help you in any way!
    Sasha Starr, a VM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vadim Tsypin View Post
    Mr. Plotkin,

Your campaign has been spreading various baseless vile allegations far and wide, including to FIDE. Your character assassination tactic timed for the last day before the vote is a gambler's last desperate attempt.

Esteemed Voting Members have already requested you to provide proof, starting with an affidavit from your unnamed friend. You didn't.

Here's a testimony from International Organizer, International Arbiter Vladimir Bykov. Mr. Bykov - whose name you claim to not know - is loved and respected worldwide. Among other accomplishments, he was the chief local organizer of the 2018 World Rapid and Blitz Ch. For many years, Mr. Bykov is the captain of the famed Bronze Horseman team that includes
    • Peter Svidler
    • Nikita Vityugov
    • Kirill Alekseenko
    • Maxim Matlakov
    • Andrey Esipenko
    • Maxim Rodstein
    • Pavel Ponkratov

This testimony exposes the falsehood and the true intent of Mr. Plotkin's allegations.

Machine translation
    OK, we are getting somewhere! Victor, looks that you favor scorched earth approach. I'd estimated the chances are fairly high that all this story will end up in courts.
    Anyway, I've got a Vladimir's Bykov story. Now it is your move. Waiting for your friend's Vladimir Nekhamkin story.

Sasha Starr, VM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vadim Tsypin View Post
    Mr. Plotkin,

• Peter Svidler
    • Nikita Vityugov
    • Kirill Alekseenko
    • Maxim Matlakov
    • Andrey Esipenko
    • Maxim Rodstein
    • Pavel Ponkratov

Machine translation
    Enough is enough. On February 16, Victor Plotkin made a post in this thread (#39, page 4) informing that he received direct email from Mr. Tsypin "with a great offer to publicly support and endorse him, because he is the best candidate for this position." Next morning Aris informed that he also received similar direct email from Mr. Tsypin (post #41, page 5). Before Victor Plotkin even decided to run for this position, he told me that he received a phone call from Mr. Tsypin and had a long friendly conversation with him. Mr. Tsypin was asking Victor to support him against Aris. When I asked Victor, whom will he support, he replied that he has to think about it. Few days latter Victor Plotkin, to my surprise, decided to run for this position by himself.

So, my points are:

1. Mr. Tsypin already had direct contact with Victor Plotkin, had phoned and emailed him directly. In the email he asked Victor (his competitor!) to endorse him. Victor, it would be nice if you could post that email from Mr. Tsypin in this thread.

2. Since Victor Plotkin did not reply to Mr. Tsypin's email, and instead went public, Mr. Tsypin (or/and his friend Mr. Bykov) decided that it might be more effective to send similar message through Victor's friend in Russia. Yeah, an unusual way to make contacts.

3. I applaud Victor for his courage. Most people, being in his place, would be frightened and silent.

Hopefully, FIDE will fairly investigate this case and figure it out.
    Last edited by Victor Itkin; 02-23-2021 at 11:45 AM.

Wow, there's a lot going on in this forum. If nothing else, Canadian chess is well-served by the passion and commitment on display here! A lot of this seems beside the point, though.

We're looking for somebody to represent the interests of Canadian chess players to FIDE. One of our candidates is a FIDE employee, and the other is an active chess player in Canada. Do we really need to look any farther than that? It isn't a question of character, competency, or conflict of interest. I just can't see why we should be represented to the international chess federation by one of their own employees, instead of by somebody who actually plays chess in Canada. It makes no sense to me.

Today morning I got an email from FIDE:

Dear collegues.

I write to your this letter on behalf of mister Dvorkovich, his decision below:

FIDE President's decision:

Given that:
    FIDE Management Board member Vadim Tsypin is participating in the election of the representative of Canada in FIDE
    there is evidence of a possible violation of ethical standards,
    it resolved

suspend the powers of V. Tsypin as a member and secretary of the FIDE Management Board until the end of the relevant investigation with immediately effect.
    That could be forged.

If this is true, every VM should have been notified, not just you. This message should be coming from the CFC, not from a candidate.

Mr. Itkin,

As late as yesterday, February 22, your rush and unfounded statements already forced you to apologize in this Forum. Regrettably, in your desperate attempts to buttress your candidate you are repeating the same egregious mistake yet again. You are intentionally and maliciously advancing fallacies based on hearsay, deliberately trying to misinterpret the events that you were not privy to.

Yesterday, I exposed Mr. Marghetis’ blatant lie. Crickets.

Now, I’m calling yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Itkin View Post
    Before Victor Plotkin even decided to run for this position, he told me that he received a phone call from Mr. Tsypin.
    Kindly present a proof, or withdraw your false allegation and apologize again. I find it completely routine to have a conversation with Mr. Plotkin or any other Voting Member. However, your statement is false. The phone call was not initiated by me. And there is a witness who was a third party to this conversation.

I would like to endorse Victor Plotkin for FIDE Representative.
    I remained neutral until recently because I saw little reason to personally interfere in a situation with two good candidates. Among other reasons, I think CFC's independence is important, and there should not be any doubts about it. I think this independence is guaranteed if we vote for Victor Plotkin. We have a written statement from FIDE that they are neutral and will work with any chosen representative. Sutovsky-Plotkin seems to me a relationship based on mutual respect, and Victor seems to navigate the political talk quite well. I have my doubts on FIDE's past dealings, and I would like to learn more about Berik approaching the CFC re. Hal Bond. However, I think its reasonable to operate under FIDE's official statement of neutrality.

Just to clarify:

1. I got a phone call from M.Barron (one of the major Vadim's assistants in this campaign)

2. After some short conversation, Michael asked me if Vadim could join to our conversation.

3. Vadim joined and we had a very long conversation (around 1h), mostly between him and me.

4. The next day after this conversation I realized that I didn't like the current situation with the election and decided to run for this position myself.

Formally, it was not a call from Tsypin, but from one of his supporters. However, Vadim was a person who initiated this contact.

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Dénommée View Post
    That could be forged.

If this is true, every VM should have been notified, not just you. This message should be coming from the CFC, not from a candidate.
    And you are, just possibly implying Victor is forging emails (and is stupid enough to do so, with FIDE easily able to prove otherwise, if it was the case). This is unattractive behaviour.

Page 30 of 35 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast