Page 23 of 35 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: CFC FIDE Representative election - Feb 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Vadim Tsypin View Post
    Since 2018, FIDE was completely reorganized as a modern, transparent, democratic, business-like sports federation, which allowed it to attract reputable Western sponsors. FIDE has a fully funded budget, audited annually by Ernst & Young. Every year - 2019, 2020, 2021 - we process financial aid applications from National Chess Federations, event organizers, seniors, indigent players, women's groups, scholastic associations, and others; we provide the support requested and distribute the corresponding grants. I believe that my being a core member of the FIDE management makes me the best person to advocate for Canada's interests, to help Canadians navigate support / development programs, and to prepare aid applications.
    There is a wealth of opportunities out there. FIDE is the national federations' mentor, protector and benefactor.

Please see this short slide for the examples of multinational companies whose sponsorship money could be contributing to success and growth of your chess club, your coaching, your arbiter career, for IM and GM norms for your students, for paid travel opportunities for your students and yourselves.

Attachment 472

Attachment 473

I concur with Egis' view - that these "votes" were expression of preference.

Apparently it is exceptionally dangerous these days to express an opinion as it will be interpreted as a vote even though no vote under our rules has been called. This includes both board e-mails and unadvertised online forum votes where no effort to ensure full participation has been made. Votes HERE matter because we have a formal procedure ("THE VOTING BOOTH" - and I specifically name all votes this way so no one is ever confused) and we actively solicit VM participation. This is not the same as a poll in a random forum thread that you may or may not be here for and if you ARE here you may or may not notice somebody's attached a poll to the thread.

Folks we've seen some pretty loosey goosey stuff here on what is and is not a vote and that's a rabbit hole we should not be going down.

Dear Mr. Itkin,

I appreciate your sudden interest in my chess career.

Your second “inquiry” contains errors in fact and in law. Moreover, it includes so-called “loaded questions”, i.e. those that contain implicit assumptions benefiting the questioner. The use of such questions is objectionable and/or restricted in any court of law or deposition process.

However, I am sure that, like all esteemed Forum users, you have noble intentions, and it is just your complete lack of knowledge about international chess and especially FIDE “B06. Regulations for the Titles of Arbiters” that motivated you. I am always glad to help people learn more about chess, so I am answering your questions below. This will be my last comment on these matters.

1) The FIDE Elections took place on *October 03, 2018*.

2) The FIDE Management Board was constituted on *November 09, 2018*.

3) There is a prescribed period for all player/ arbiter / trainer applications. They have to be received at least thirty (30) days before the General Assembly session. To arrive in time for the September 2018 FIDE Congress, my application had to be delivered to FIDE no later than August, about two months before Mr. Dvorkovich’s triumphal electoral win. My FA application was approved by the previous FIDE administration led by Mr. Makropoulos. :-)

Alas, these questions show complete lack of understanding how the arbiter title process works. Like players who need norms for an IM or GM titles, arbiters earn norms gradually over the years. It takes four distinct norms for an FA title and then four other, more complex, norms for an IA title.

A good place to start learning is

Several of my colleagues, respected International Arbiters, have writing privileges in your Forum. Mark Dutton, Stephen Wright, Aris Marghetis, Pierre Dénommée and the others would be able to educate you on this topic, should you be interested in joining our ranks and pursuing arbiters' titles and licenses,

Goodbye.

--
    Diana Tsypina
    Diana,

It was not my intention to offend you.

You are absolutely correct - I have no understanding how the arbiter title works. I am not a chess professional, just an amateur. I usually participate in chess related discussions only during the CFC meetings.

My true intention when asking you questions was to clarify reasons why did Hal Bond resign (which I still don't understand so far).

Also, I admit that it was my fault that I mixed up the FIDE election date. This was not intentional. When I googled "FIDE elections", the first phrase in the corresponding section of Wikipedia on this matter was: "In July 2018, Kirsan Ilyumzhinov was ousted as FIDE President, after having been in office for 23 years, since 1995". Based on this, I decided that the latest elections took place in July 2018. My mistake, and my apologies.

Thank you for answering my inaccurately formulated questions, and best regards.

Victor Itkin.

Actually I'm completely unimpressed with Diana's letter since it cites several people some but not all of whom are International Arbiters (which as an International Arbiter I can tell you does NOT make one an expert in parliamentary procedure) while including several who are not. That said I have a high regard for all those she names.

For the record the CFC has quite a few IAs amongst our membership and not surprisingly nowhere more so than the National Appeals Committee. Most of them are personal friends of mine.(Some I don't really know)

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Craver View Post
    Actually I'm completely unimpressed with Diana's letter since it cites several people some but not all of whom are International Arbiters (which as an International Arbiter I can tell you does NOT make one an expert in parliamentary procedure) while including several who are not. That said I have a high regard for all those she names.

For the record the CFC has quite a few IAs amongst our membership and not surprisingly nowhere more so than the National Appeals Committee. Most of them are personal friends of mine.(Some I don't really know)
    Dear Lyle,

It breaks my heart to realize that you are so disconnected from both international chess stage *and* your East Coast colleagues that you fail to recognize the names of four distinguished International Arbiters:

Several of my colleagues, respected International Arbiters, have writing privileges in your Forum. *Mark Dutton, Stephen Wright, Aris Marghetis, Pierre Dénommée* and the others would be able to educate you on this topic, should you be interested in joining our ranks and pursuing arbiters' titles and licenses,

Goodbye.

--
    Diana Tsypina
    I understand that you might not be at ease with technology either. Let me assist you and other readers.
    • Proceed to https://ratings.fide.com/.
    • Click on Advanced Search.
    • Select Canada - All - Intl. Arbiter
    • Click Search.
    • Enjoy and learn about 22 esteemed colleagues across Canada.

Getting a little bit disappointed with what's going on here.

1."My true intention when asking you questions was to clarify reasons why did Hal Bond resign (which I still don't understand so far)." From Victor Itkin's recent post. I thought Hal explained it in his resignation letter, but according to Victor's post he still doesn't understand why... Maybe executives could help us - for many years he was one of you!

2.Not impressed with Aris candidacy, waiting for Victor to declare himself as a third candidate, aborting his bid shortly thereafter while endorsing Victor? Is at a ploy to defeat Vadim, or what?

3.Vadim's experience, connections, communications skills making him far superior candidate. Victor could have tried his chances in the public appearance during the IBM TV chess show but declined. By watching this show it is easy to see why. What Victor could have done against such a polished professional as Vadim? Victor lucks knowledge, experience and much more to publicly debate Vadim.

4.I'm old enough to remember days of Prentice, Haily, Divinsky, knew all of them personally... They were all great people, but no one could be nearly as effective FIDE representative as Vadim.

5.By rejecting a clearly superior candidate CFC again is becoming a pariah in the civilized chess World. This story is already known outside of Canada. And you can cry 24 hours a day about CFC losing its independence etc. There are CFC executives at the helm for over 40 years(!) keeping CFC independent! Great! Even voting for Kirsan Ilyumzhinov against Garry Kasparov. For a few thousand dollars... Is that independence are you fighting for? Trying to extract a few hundred dollars here and there? OK, so a few people personally benefited by voting for Kirsan. But what about thousands of rank and file members, kids?

6.CFC is extremely lucky to have Vadim offering his Candidacy. If CFC will not choose him as a clearly superior candidate it will shoot itself in the leg. Obviously we should not do that!
    Last edited by Sasha Starr; 02-22-2021 at 04:05 PM.

And it is still not too late for Victor to revoke his candidacy.

All members on this Forum know that current CFC special meeting was called due to the early resignation of Hal Bond.

In response to my request, Diana and Vadim Tsypin kindly answered my questions, and expressed their point of view on this issue. I would like to thank them for doing that.

From the other side, we heard nothing from Hal Bond about reasons and details of his resignation (not counting one brief sentence in his resignation letter). To comprehend the truth, it is always important to hear the points of view of all sides.

Hal, I believe that the voting members are entitled to know more details about your resignation, and are interested to hear your point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Itkin View Post
    Hal, I believe that the voting members are entitled to know more details about your resignation, and are interested to hear your point of view.
    He is not a voting member anymore. Thus, that shall be done in private.
    .*-1

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Itkin View Post
    Diana’s official FIDE card can be accessed here:
    https://ratings.fide.com/profile/2631717

Vadim,
    I looked at Diana's official FIDE card, link to which you kindly provided. As per your suggestion, I would like to ask Diana few questions directly.

Diana,

Your first arbiter title (FIDE ARBITER) was registered in FIDE in September 2018, very shortly after latest FIDE elections and after Vadim was invited to FIDE Management Board. My questions are:

- did you attempt to apply for this title before 2018?
    - if not, what caused your decision to apply for it in 2018?
    - was at that time (in 2018) your nomination for FIDE Arbiter Title smoothly approved by CFC Executive?

Sincerely,

Victor Itkin.
    That is Ludicrous, Diana is highly qualified and her title predated Arkady election to the Presidency of FIDE.

I met personally, in Italy, the chairmen of the Arbiters' Commission at the time of Diana's application and he doesn't look like a person that you can bribe. He is a person of great integrity that would certainly oppose incompetent candidates. At the time of this applications, the IA title was granted by the General Assembly upon the recommendation of the Arbiters' Commission. Contrary to the Current FIDE Charter, the Non-Elected Commissions of this era did exercise real power. The old Presidential Board could only deliver IA title in clear cases with the consent of the Chairmen or the Arbiters' Commissions. So the FIDE leadership of that time cannot grant the IA title on his own to anybody.
    Last edited by Pierre Dénommée; 02-22-2021 at 03:51 PM.

Page 23 of 35 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast