Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 4. Proposal to Enlarge the Executive

I fully agree with Chris et al. Like the fundamental intent of this special meeting was to determine our next CFC FIDE Representative. But then Vlad, seemingly completely on his own, adds this to the agenda. The whole thing seems ridiculously procedurally dead, and from the viewpoint of sheer democracy, it's just not right to pre-identify one person for a made-up new role. If we want this new person to be genuinely successful, why not bring them in properly (AGM ELECTION)?!

So far, I am so voting against this.

P.S. to Vlad: please consider apologizing for your mean comments so far. Come on man, the CFC is better than that, let's show it!!

Blog Entries

Something else interesting to note:

Since this would make the Exec 8 instead of 7, that would actually give the President a second vote on tied votes.

Votes to Govern at Meetings of the Board of Directors

At all meetings of the board, every question shall be decided by a majority of the votes cast on the question. In case of an equality of votes, the chair of the meeting in addition to an original vote shall have a second or casting vote.

Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Mallon View Post

Since this would make the Exec 8 instead of 7, that would actually give the President a second vote on tied votes.

[/B]
    Yes, I agree with this concern as well. I need to be convinced it's not in purpose, because so far, all these alarm bells are clanging in my big bald head lol

Blog Entries

Default CFC Executive Member Insight

This is another situation (see FIDE Rep.) that I think the existing Board could have made a decision on. There was no consensus on this, so the President decided to combine this with the FIDE Rep election. Back at the time of the 2010 AGM, I was in favour of expanding the Board by adding two more Directors at Large. I felt this would have been a good move because, it was obvious that it was difficult for "new blood" to come on as a Director. I had no one else on the Board support this idea.

One of the reasons I wouldn't endorse the appointment of Patricia Gamliel at the time it was proposed to us by the President, was that I strongly felt that the appointment of a new FIDE Rep should come first, which to me was going to be Aris Marghetis - there seemed to be no objections. I was not the only one. So here we are, as VM's, now deciding simultaneously.

I do agree with Vlad's attempt to bring our Board to proper gender standards as set by other important organizations. If we are going to expand the board (and again this would be in effect only until the AGM, I think), there are all sorts of worthy individuals, however in this case I think Patricia brings a diverse skill set that we don't have on the Board. At the AGM we can decide to revert back to a 7 person board, and she can run for one of 7 existing positions, stick with 8 people, or my preference would be to expand to 9. I would also be in favour of having Director-at-Large position(s) only serve for 2 consecutive years and other executive positions serve for 3-5 consecutive years (not sure what the right number is).

I will support the appointment of Patricia Gamliel as a Director at Large for the remainder of the year.

Fred

Blog Entries

And there you go again. This has apparently been the case for your entire presidency - basically, the CFC will fail if you are no longer President? That's quite some ego.

You have a properly seconded appeal of your ruling as Chair. Were you planning to ignore that, too, just as you ignore the rules that don't suit you?
    Nice straw man argument that you are building there. I have not said that the CFC would fail without me. That is just silly. There would be some chaos for a brief period of time. Bob is usually copied on many of my files so someone else could take over on all of those files. The CFC has not failed without Hal Bond. It would not fail without me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_Li View Post
    Hello all:

This is my first meeting at CFC. If there is a clause in the act or bylaw to state that there shall be only 7 directors / board members permitted, then I do think that the best move is to revise the act or bylaw to increase the directors / board members from 7 to 8 or 9 first. If there is no limitation of director numbers in the act or bylaw, then it shall be acceptable to nominate new directors as things fit. I will vote Patricia Gamliel for the new director if the act or bylaw permits.
    The clause in the articles states that there are a minimum of 3 directors and a maximum of 10 directors. We picked 7 as a workable number. Eight should be workable as well. The decisions are never 4 to 3. They are usually 7-0 or 6-1 and occasionally 5-2.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    Nice straw man argument that you are building there. I have not said that the CFC would fail without me. That is just silly. There would be some chaos for a brief period of time. Bob is usually copied on many of my files so someone else could take over on all of those files. The CFC has not failed without Hal Bond. It would not fail without me.

You continue to ignore the properly seconded appeal.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
    Vlad, I request your apologize.

You're action as a Chair on this agenda item is far from average.

If you want discuss my performance, that can be done at the board of directors or the VMs meeting special business. This is not on Agenda for this meeting.

Keep things to the order.
    I apologize to you for an unprofessional comment. I should have not made it.

However it seems that some elements are trying to overwhelm me with objections about every matter on three different CFC forums.

When we have five days for the meeting it is not always possible to to be one hundred percent present at all times. I have multiple chess lessons today and have been able to slightly scale back on demands on my time so will be absent for an hour or so at a time only.

Blog Entries

[/B]
    We usually try to have a consensus on most issues and talk things out before we even get to the vote.

Be it noted that when the Voting Booth for this motion opens the question will be:

- to approve Mrs. G as an executive member of the CFC
    - to NOT approve Mrs. G as an executive member of the CFC
    - abstain

There is no other person up for consideration at this time

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast