Thread: From FIDE: WADA's Athlete-led webinar

Blog Entries

Default From FIDE: WADA's Athlete-led webinar

2021-02-19:
    WADA's Athlete-led webinar

Dear Member Federations:

The World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) has announced its 2021 series of athlete-led webinars for athletes, which is an initiative started last year by WADA’s Athlete Committee that enables interactive engagement by the Agency with athletes worldwide.

WADA invites athletes and others to register for the first webinar of the series, titled 2021 COVID-19 and Clean Sport Update, which will be held on 25 February from 13-14:00 EST; and, will focus on the impact of COVID-19 on athletes and the anti-doping system.

During this webinar, WADA Athlete Committee Chair Ben Sandford and the following athlete and expert panelists will discuss the ongoing effect that the COVID-19 pandemic is having on anti-doping for athletes; including, an open Q&A regarding its impacts on testing, the role of vaccines and the way forward.

• Dr. Olivier Rabin, Senior Executive Director, Sciences and International Partnerships, WADA
    • James Sclater, Director of Anti-Doping, International Paralympic Committee
    • Dr. Lenka Wech, Olympian in rowing and member of WADA’s Health, Medical and Research Committee

Over the last year, WADA and its Athlete Committee have provided information for athletes and others on the matter of COVID-19; in particular, regarding the protection of athlete health and how clean sport can persevere during these challenging times.

“As the situation continues to evolve with COVID-19, WADA is committed to update athletes on the effect that the pandemic is having on anti-doping and answer questions they may have on vaccines,” said WADA Athlete Committee Chair, Ben Sandford. “We want to provide athletes with up-to-date information; and, we want to be able to hear and address their concerns. Similar to last year, we hope that this series of webinars will be an effective platform to exchange with athletes and understand how we can best support them and engage them in further strengthening the global anti-doping system.”

Anti-Doping Organizations worldwide are encouraged to relay this announcement on to their athletes; and, to encourage them to register.

WADA will publish a complete 2021 webinar series in the coming weeks that will include other webinars for this athlete-led series; as well as webinars that will be part of the Agency’s Code Implementation Support Program (CISP); and, others as deemed relevant.

Should you have any questions or comments on the above-referenced webinar, please contact Stacy Spletzer-Jegen, WADA’s Senior Manager, Athlete Relations & Communications, at: stacy.spletzer@wada-ama.org.

I used to work for the Canadian Commission for Ethics in Sport, on one of their anti-doping testing teams. If you expect to be tested, feel free to drop me a line, and I could help you with what to expect. Until then, rest assured that it's very normal to find the first test to be a bit stressful. But people do get used to it after a while.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
    I used to work for the Canadian Commission for Ethics in Sport, on one of their anti-doping testing teams. If you expect to be tested, feel free to drop me a line, and I could help you with what to expect. Until then, rest assured that it's very normal to find the first test to be a bit stressful. But people do get used to it after a while.
    We have to sign on to the CCES for them to do the testing. Since there are few or no games other than online I am not sure that we are ready to fork over thousands of dollars a year. They also wanted us to keep track of a written, signed contract for each player which would probably fill Bob's apartment. FIDE is also not interested in hundreds of thousands of signed contracts which have to be renewed every year. I think Pierre suggested that the contracts were needed to give CCES the authority and waiver required under Canadian law to take the samples. FIDE told us to hold off when we brought up the contracts. There is a possibility for signing on to whatever program FIDE establishes. Another reason to get Patricia Gamliel on the board.