Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CFC vote to add Patricia Gamliel as additional Director at Large - Feb 2021

Blog Entries

Default CFC vote to add Patricia Gamliel as additional Director at Large - Feb 2021

There will be an vote to add an additional director at large, Patricia Gamliel, at the special meeting starting February 21st. Please post discussion here.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 02-08-2021 at 07:10 PM.

Blog Entries

On Saturday, February 06, the CFC held an information session on FIDE and its activities worldwide. Each of us present there learned several important new things. For me, of special interest was the fact that the FIDE Council (formerly called the Presidential Board) had quarterly meetings in 2018-2020 and regularly published its decisions which were important to the national federations like the CFC. This information never trickled down to us and the CFC Exec was never informed of the FIDE Council decisions.

I started digging around for these decision lists and found a lot of information that is directly relevant to the CFC. For example, as early as the first quarter of 2019 (!), the FIDE Presidential Board took the following decision:

Q1PB-2019/31 "To approve the inclusion in the FIDE Handbook "A quota of 25% of women shall be reserved for the following positions: arbiters in the official FIDE events, principals in the official FIDE events, appointed FIDE officials, FIDE commission members".

https://old.fide.com/component/content/article/1-fide-news/11492-list-of-q1-2019-presidential-board-decisions.html

The national federations were expected to follow suit.

This matches very closely the national guidelines communicated to me by the Canadian Olympic Committee at the recent seminar which I have reported on on the English chat which in turn are based on the International Olympic Committee guidelines. Had we been informed and aware of this 2019 FIDE decision, we would have already taken steps which would have encouraged more women to run as directors of the CFC Board.

Better late than never... Let’s do the right thing and bring the CFC into the 21st Century.

I edited out the very strange formatting characters which appeared out of nowhere. It appears that we may be under some kind of hack attempt.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 02-11-2021 at 11:51 AM.

After reading Paul Martel (the most famous Quebec Lawyer on the field or Corporate Law, both for profit and not for profit) book on the Federal NFP Law, I became convinced that what we are attempting to do is an illegal procedure.

The current number of CFC director is 7, this number must exist under the Law in addition to the three and ten limits.

The Executive cannot appoint anybody to the board because the limit would be exceeded.

The current number of directors can only be changed with a regular resolution of the VM and the Law give the VM the power to organise an election for the new director position during the same meeting.

The current proposal denies the VM the right to oarganise an election. We are not the US Senate, nowhere in the Law is a mention of the confirmation of a director.

The entire process is undemocratic, denying everybody's right to stand against the proposed candidate.

This motion should be withdrawn from the VM meeting and reintroduced, in the right way, with proper notice at another meeting.

If this is still on the agenda, I will vote against in order to limit my liability, this should not be considered as a vote against the proposed candidate.

The vote for FIDE representative is fully legal and should go on as planned.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Dénommée View Post
    After reading Paul Martel (the most famous Quebec Lawyer on the field or Corporate Law, both for profit and not for profit) book on the Federal NFP Law, I became convinced that what we are attempting to do is an illegal procedure.

The current number of CFC director is 7, this number must exist under the Law in addition to the three and ten limits.

The Executive cannot appoint anybody to the board because the limit would be exceeded.

The current number of directors can only be changed with a regular resolution of the VM and the Law give the VM the power to organise an election for the new director position during the same meeting.

The current proposal denies the VM the right to oarganise an election. We are not the US Senate, nowhere in the Law is a mention of the confirmation of a director.

The entire process is undemocratic, denying everybody's right to stand against the proposed candidate.

This motion should be withdrawn from the VM meeting and reintroduced, in the right way, with proper notice at another meeting.

If this is still on the agenda, I will vote against in order to limit my liability, this should not be considered as a vote against the proposed candidate.

The vote for FIDE representative is fully legal and should go on as planned.
    If the voting members approve Patricia Gamliel to be part of the board then that is a resolution to add someone to the board.

The board has the ability to add two people to the board, in addition to those elected at the AGM or any meeting of the voting members.

Specifically a number of directors up to one third the directors elected at the AGM can be elected by the board of directors. The procedure is outlined in the NFP act section dealing with the appointment of directors. Such directors would serve until the next AGM.

The position of director is presumed to be a working position, one where the directors are expected to be working to solve problems and in some cases finding sources of revenue for the corporation that is the CFC. The directors and officers are not there to add to the duties of the overworked pieces like the CFC president.

It is not seemly for the women's coordinator to be arguing on some technical grounds - which seem to me to be quite mistaken - for a method to exclude a woman from the board contrary to the direction from our government, FIDE and the Canadian Olympic Committee on the need to include more women in positions of authority.

The CFC has been accused of being a stuffy old boys club. Let us not prove these assertions correct.

We could double our numbers by simply bringing more women into our ranks. This should start with our leadership.

Christina Tao has been a godsend as Youth Coordinator. Patricia Gamliel will be a godsend as well.

These are times where we should be working to remove any glass ceilings and not seeking to reinforce the ones that exist.

If a man of Patricia Gamliel's stature and presence was willing to serve on the CFC board of directors I would be in breach of my fiduciary duty to not present such a person to the voting members for election to the board. This does not change because she is a woman.

I must bring this person to the attention of the voting members when there is such an opportunity. Look at her biography. Do a duckduckgo or google search on her name. Read the article on women in law. Our pawn is on the seventh rank and there is no reason not to add another queen to our arsenal of pieces on the board.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 02-11-2021 at 11:45 AM.

I am obviously making comments as a VM, not as an officer.

It is certainly not a misleading statement that offering a director's position to a single person without election is antidemocratic. I do believe that she deserve to be democratically elected against opposition, if anybody wants to run against her. She would likely crush any opposition in a democratic election.

If I was that belligerent, I would visit this site many times a day but I don't. My professional life has been to busy to allow me such luxury.

I do not doubt the candidate's ability, I am concerned about the process.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Dénommée View Post
    I am obviously making comments as a VM, not as an officer.

It is certainly not a misleading statement that offering a director's position to a single person without election is antidemocratic.
    There is no need for a director that is looking for a line on their resume or intends to coast in the position without contributing anything of value. We don't need passengers. We need workers that will prepare us for the challenges ahead which are quite considerable. Patricia Gamliel is a person that any rational non-profit would grab onto in a heartbeat as a board member given the opportunity. I am hoping that the CFC is a rational non-profit.

It isn't only FIDE, the Canadian Olympic Committee and IOC which is demanding that we have more women on the board of directors. The Canadian government is also asking for more women on the board. At some point in the not so distant future, non-profits who don't get with the program will face sanctions like loss of non-profit status which would be very bad for us. Patricia Gamliel has a skill-set that we need. If there is someone else with a similar skill-set that wants to be on the CFC board and is willing to work to make the CFC a success, please have them step forward. We can look at adding them in the AGM.

I do believe that she deserve to be democratically elected against opposition, if anybody wants to run against her. She would likely crush any opposition in a democratic election.

If I was that belligerent, I would visit this site many times a day but I don't. My professional life has been to busy to allow me such luxury.

I do not doubt the candidate's ability, I am concerned about the process.
    Your concerns about the process are noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    At some point in the not so distant future, non-profits who don't get with the program will face sanctions like loss of non-profit status which would be very bad for us.
    Stop a fear mongering. First the government need to amend the NFP Act. Second they will land more than a gender equality requirement if to follow the "for profit" organization act (Canada Business Corporations Act). Currently (since 2020) the government requires a disclosure about diversities for public traded companies. That is far far from removing the status or closing companies.
    .*-1

Good evening,
    This is my first post and might not be my last. However, please accept that when I do post it might not be to answer posts of others.*
    This being said, I believe that as a non-profit org. the CFC is entitled to take advantage of existing government programs including but not limited to loans partially forgivable, the hiring of youth within Canada Summer Jobs programs paid by the government, etc...
    Moreover, CFC's revenues can be increased with various groups membership such as, for example, corporate membership and educational institution membership.*Memberships may also allow for tax-deductible donations to the CFC by making Canadian chess activities eligible for such consideration.
    This can be accomplished through various paths along which general outreach initiatives to Canadian and multinational corporations. Sponsoring chess shall become a win-win proposition.*As well, the CFC visibility may be increased through the FIDE Social Commission as Chess is a universal language and a tool to help low-income families, newcomers to Canada, refugees, and prison inmates. Grants from corresponding government departments may be available.
    Finally, and some of you may have seen it coming, I will help the CFC to achieve gender equality. I will strongly support Canadian girls and women both in chess competitions and in chess governance.

Thank you for inviting me to apply.

Sincerely,

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
    Stop a fear mongering. First the government need to amend the NFP Act. Second they will land more than a gender equality requirement if to follow the "for profit" organization act (Canada Business Corporations Act). Currently (since 2020) the government requires a disclosure about diversities for public traded companies. That is far far from removing the status or closing companies.
    It is not fear mongering to relate what the Canadian Olympic Committee told me and what members of the FIDE administration have told me. Perhaps if you would like to attend the next zoom meeting with the COC we could arrange it and you could discuss my "fear-mongering" with them and you might realize that there is some ability to sanction behind their directives.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Patricia Gamliel View Post
    Good evening,
    This is my first post and might not be my last. However, please accept that when I do post it might not be to answer posts of others.*
    This being said, I believe that as a non-profit org. the CFC is entitled to take advantage of existing government programs including but not limited to loans partially forgivable, the hiring of youth within Canada Summer Jobs programs paid by the government, etc...
    Moreover, CFC's revenues can be increased with various groups membership such as, for example, corporate membership and educational institution membership.*Memberships may also allow for tax-deductible donations to the CFC by making Canadian chess activities eligible for such consideration.
    This can be accomplished through various paths along which general outreach initiatives to Canadian and multinational corporations. Sponsoring chess shall become a win-win proposition.*As well, the CFC visibility may be increased through the FIDE Social Commission as Chess is a universal language and a tool to help low-income families, newcomers to Canada, refugees, and prison inmates. Grants from corresponding government departments may be available.
    Finally, and some of you may have seen it coming, I will help the CFC to achieve gender equality. I will strongly support Canadian girls and women both in chess competitions and in chess governance.

Thank you for inviting me to apply.

Sincerely,
    It is good to see that you are able to post now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast