Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: CFC FIDE Representative election - Feb 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha Starr View Post
    In my opinion Victor's set of skills includes primarily playing and coaching skills. However I'd doubted his diplomacy talents, perhaps, and in any case to get to the level where Vadim already is will take Victor 2 to 5 years - if he is successful...

However Vadim has everything in one package today, ALREADY! So is CFC better off to have someone who'll hopefully deliver something in the next few years at the best, or somebody who has ALL required connections and experience to do it all not even in the next day or two, but actually TODAY?
    I believe, you greatly underestimate me. If I had thought that getting to that level would take 2 to 5 years, I wouldn't have run for this position.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I just received this email from Michael von Keitz and he requested that I post it on his behalf. He had lost his log in contacts.

START

"I am aware that Hal Bond did not happily resign in the middle of his term, and I have been provided with a private explanation for that decision which leaves me deeply concerned for our Federation. Vlad Drkulec has served our Federation with distinction for many years (only John Prentice has had a longer tenure as President), but I am hopeful a suitable candidate will emerge to continue his legacy at the time of the next AGM.

I support Victor Plotkin's candidacy to serve as our FIDE Representative. As highlighted by Victor Itkin, having two Canadians advocating for our Federation within FIDE is an enviable outcome. I fail to see the added value in having one individual serve in two roles within FIDE, when Vadim Tsypin has already proven himself to be in a role which allows for effective advocacy on behalf of Canadian causes.

I am dissatisfied with what appears to me to be a unilateral decision to propose an eighth executive role within our Federation, ostensibly on the basis of gender equality. Among other concerns, this raises the question of why the Federation would consider taking a binary stance on the question of gender, risking potential alienation of other groups. Operating within our existing model, which itself is perhaps antiquated, I would instead encourage the proposed candidate to run for election as the Women's Coordinator during the Federation's next AGM. There is no urgency to this matter.

As a member of our Federation, I feel the Voting Members will be faced with a series of important decisions over the coming weeks and months. A new course is being charted and I do not envy the decision-makers.

Yours in Chess,

Michael von Keitz"

END
    Last edited by Mahmud Hassain; 02-20-2021 at 08:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Plotkin View Post
    I believe, you greatly underestimate me. If I had thought that getting to that level would take 2 to 5 years, I wouldn't have run for this position.
    Victor, perhaps it would take less time for you to become productive, perhaps more. It has nothing to do with your personality at all. If you'll see the today's chess show on IBM TV (Vadim has published the link) you'll see an accomplished chess professional operating on the highest level and it is overly difficult to imagine someone more effective then Vadim for several reasons. Too many to list... It doesn't mean that if you've been in that position you wouldn't been able to succeed. Probably you could. But in this particular situation I'm sure that you yourself, your son and many Canadians could greatly benefit from the Vadim's experience, connections, knowledge and desire to do well for all Canadians chess lovers!

Quote Originally Posted by Mahmud Hassain View Post
    Ladies and Gentlemen,

I just received this email from Michael von Keitz and he requested that I post it on his behalf. He had lost his log in contacts.

START

"I am aware that Hal Bond did not happily resign in the middle of his term, and I have been provided with a private explanation for that decision which leaves me deeply concerned for our Federation. Vlad Drkulec has served our Federation with distinction for many years (only John Prentice has had a longer tenure as President), but I am hopeful a suitable candidate will emerge to continue his legacy at the time of the next AGM.

I support Victor Plotkin's candidacy to serve as our FIDE Representative. As highlighted by Victor Itkin, having two Canadians advocating for our Federation within FIDE is an enviable outcome. I fail to see the added value in having one individual serve in two roles within FIDE, when Vadim Tsypin has already proven himself to be in a role which allows for effective advocacy on behalf of Canadian causes.

I am dissatisfied with what appears to me to be a unilateral decision to propose an eighth executive role within our Federation, ostensibly on the basis of gender equality. Among other concerns, this raises the question of why the Federation would consider taking a binary stance on the question of gender, risking potential alienation of other groups. Operating within our existing model, which itself is perhaps antiquated, I would instead encourage the proposed candidate to run for election as the Women's Coordinator during the Federation's next AGM. There is no urgency to this matter.

As a member of our Federation, I feel the Voting Members will be faced with a series of important decisions over the coming weeks and months. A new course is being charted and I do not envy the decision-makers.

Yours in Chess,

Michael von Keitz"

END
    Michael von Keitz... What a mess! Hal Bond did not happily resign... Could be. Vlad Drkulec has served our Federation with distinction for many years. OK. And one day there will be a suitable candidate - good! And I have no problem with Michael's support for Victor Plotkin.

Now things are getting murky. Two Canadians for the price of one? Enviable outcome? I don't think so. With such a fierce competition for the CFC FIDE Representative position there will be a very little incentive for the loser to cooperate in any way with a winner. And if Vadim wins he needs practically nothing from Victor. However the opposite outcome puts Victor in not very enviable position - unless Vadim will show his largesse and will help... In that scenario Victor would completely dependant on Vadim. Would he be willing to provide Victor with a free training?

Well, Victor himself said that once elected he will heavily rely on Vadim's experience, connections, etc. So it implies that there will be more or less lengthy training period. Assuming that Vadim will provide it... But what if not, as I'm afraid?

In any case - obviously the choice is ours to make!
    Last edited by Sasha Starr; 02-20-2021 at 10:03 PM.

Mr. Mahmud Hassain

Kindly advise Mr. Michael von Keitz that I have answered his post:

If adding 1 woman to the one already there is reaching gender equality at the CFC I wonder who at the executive are women pretending to be men ... Even more puzzling when the only position you propose that can belong to a woman is Women’s coordinator. I suggest this position will be viable when the Men’s coordinator position will be created at the same time: The whole, of course in the name of gender equality right?

I wish people would read the two posts (yes only 2) I have posted. It is surprising that mature professionals would only cruise through them to end up one to compare me to his wife ( no offence to her Mr. Plotkin but seriously????) and the other as my only skill to be a women coordinator at the CFC? ��

Sorry, guys, I can do much more than raising 3 kids: I actually did that while at the same time working full time and going to university full time and volunteering as a Union collective agreements negotiator.

End of 3rd post.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mahmud Hassain View Post
    Ladies and Gentlemen,

START

Yours in Chess,

Michael von Keitz"

END
    Sexism masquerading as wokeism is a very bad look. I have had multiple conversations with women who have been less than enamoured with the statements that there is an appropriate job suited to women within the CFC. Patricia Gamliel is a woman who would be welcome on any other non-profit board and wouldn't have to endure such appalling conduct.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 02-21-2021 at 02:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anna Burtasova View Post

However, for the CFC FIDE Representative position, Vadim is the best candidate in my opinion. He is very active and professional in regard to organizing things, and I know it from my experience of working with him within FIDE.
    I’m not sure about the other voting members, but personally I understood these words in such a way that some time ago Anna Burtasova used to work for FIDE, and since then she highly appreciates the professionalism of Vadim Tsypin.

I was surprised to find out that Anna Burtasova is currently working for FIDE office in Switzerland as a “FIDE Website and Social Media Manager” (one of the eight official employees https://www.fide.com/directory/fide-officials).

There is nothing wrong with her public support of Vadim, but I just wanted to emphasize (for those like me who thought Anna was discussing her past work experience) that for the CFC FIDE Representative position Anna Burtasova is endorsing her more senior current colleague at FIDE.

Blog Entries

My personal feeling is that we of course shouldn't "relegate" women to the Women's Coordinator position. At the same time, isn't it totally ridiculous to have a man in the women's coordinator position? (Yes, I realize that he is often - maybe always? - the only person running for the position.)

Also doesn't it make more sense for an executive board member to have a purpose or job?

Back on topic, however...

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha Starr View Post
    Michael von Keitz... What a mess! Hal Bond did not happily resign... Could be.

Sasha, I am not sure why you feel the need to attack everyone who you disagree with, but I take issue with you referring to Michael Von Keitz as "what a mess" ... he had the unenviable task of being in charge of the CFC at the worst time in our history, as he dealt with the office closing, the tail end of an ED era as well as the beginnings of the NFP changeover. When he stepped down as President after 20 months, he received thanks and positive reviews from many people, including multiple members of the current Exec. Here is a public sampling: http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/sh...48-Resignation

And it "could be" true that Hal did not happily resign? I think it's fairly obvious that he's not happy! You are a VM and so you should have already read his resignation letter. Here it is, in case you missed it: http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/sh...representative
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Hi Patricia, I have read all the posts in this forum and don't see your other two posts which I would like to read. Can you please either repost them or point to where they can be found ?

Good morning,

There is another short thread to add me at the executive. I can’t find my first thread where I was presenting myself in an informal fashion (the one that triggered Mr. Plotkin’s reply comparing me to his wife after he read that I have three children - remember that he wants to represent the CFC at FIDE). I can't find it right now. But I am fairly present on internet. As for the 2nd post, here it is:

Quote Originally Posted by Patricia Gamliel:

Good evening,
    This is my first post and might not be my last. However, please accept that when I do post it might not be to answer posts of others.*
    This being said, I believe that as a non-profit org. the CFC is entitled to take advantage of existing government programs including but not limited to loans partially forgivable, the hiring of youth within Canada Summer Jobs programs paid by the government, etc...
    Moreover, CFC's revenues can be increased with various groups membership such as, for example, corporate membership and educational institution membership.*Memberships may also allow for tax-deductible donations to the CFC by making Canadian chess activities eligible for such consideration.
    This can be accomplished through various paths along which general outreach initiatives to Canadian and multinational corporations. Sponsoring chess shall become a win-win proposition.*As well, the CFC visibility may be increased through the FIDE Social Commission as Chess is a universal language and a tool to help low-income families, newcomers to Canada, refugees, and prison inmates. Grants from corresponding government departments may be available.
    Finally, and some of you may have seen it coming, I will help the CFC to achieve gender equality. I will strongly support Canadian girls and women both in chess competitions and in chess governance.

Thank you for inviting me to apply.

Sincerely,

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast