Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Special Meeting of Voting Members Sunday February 21 to Thursday February 25

Blog Entries

Default Special Meeting of Voting Members Sunday February 21 to Thursday February 25

By my reckoning that is three people that have requested a vote in the voting members forum. I also request a meeting. This is well beyond the 5% threshold to call a special meeting. I hereby declare that we shall have a special meeting Sunday February 21, 2021 through Thursday February 25, 2021. There will also be a regular quarterly meeting on April 11 through April 18, 2021.

There are three items on the agenda for the special meeting at the moment. Items may still be added up until Saturday when I will finalize the agenda. There will be no reports from officers unless they want to make reports.

1. Approve the addition of Patricia Gamliel to the board of the Chess Federation of Canada bringing us closer to the required COC and IOC threshold of 30% women on the board.
    2. Correct the section of our bylaw dealing with the board officers to expressly state that they are members of the board of directors.
    3. Have an election to decide what we shall do with regard to the FIDE representative.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 01-27-2021 at 11:12 PM.

Blog Entries

Agenda for the CFC Voting Members Meeting Sunday Feb 21st to Feb 25th
    1) Agenda

2) Opening remarks of the Chair.

3) Presentation of Mrs. Patricia Gamliel, attorney and member of the FIDE Social Commission, as a candidate for the position of Director at large. She will be involved in Corporate Affairs and General Outreach (see short biography below).

4) Modification of Bylaws to reflect the fact that all members of the executive are directors of the CFC.

5) Election – vote for Director at large - Yes to confirm. No to decline to confirm. Abstain to decline to vote.

The election will take place beginning on Tuesday February 23, 2021 at 9 pm and conclude on Wednesday, February 24, 2021 at 6 pm.

6) Presentation of candidacy for the FIDE Representative position.

7) Election – vote for FIDE Representative. Candidates must declare their candidacy one week prior to the beginning of the meeting with a brief bio and a statement of their plans for the posiiton. The election will take place beginning on Tuesday February 23, 2021 at 9 pm and conclude on Wednesday, February 24, 2021 at 6 pm.

8) Other business.

9) Closing remarks by the Chair.

10) Adjournment.

Patricia Gamliel, condensed bio: Mrs. Gamliel holds a certificate and a Bachelor degree in Education (Quebec), a teaching permit (Quebec), a Bachelor in Law degree (LLB) (Quebec) and is a member in good standing of the Quebec Bar Corporation as well as a member in good standing of the Canadian Bar Association (CBA). She is a recipient of the Centennial CBA pin. In her capacity as an attorney, Mrs. Gamliel is the current Chair of the Women in Law Forum of the CBA (Quebec division) and a member of the executive of the national section of the CBA Women in Law Forum. She also presides over the Inquiry Committee of the Quebec Ministry of Education and serves as Chair of the Board in not for profit organizations in Montreal. Mrs. Gamliel is a partner at Dunton Rainville, LLP, one of the largest Quebec law firms. She has 25 years of experience in litigation both at the provincial and federal levels litigator. Finally, Patricia is playing chess since the age of 5 and is a proud third generation of women chess players in her family, passing on this tradition, now to a fifth generation. She has been a member of the FIDE social committee since 2018.

Procedures for election: Candidates will declare their candidacy no later than Sunday February 14. The candidates shall provide a brief resume or curriculum vitae of their chess experience to the secretary of the chess federation along with a brief platform of what they aim to accomplish in the position of FIDE rep on February 14. These will be kept confidential and published in the meeting shortly after it opens on February 21, 2021 by the secretary of the CFC. It is not required to do this step but it is strongly encouraged that candidates do so. You can add to this submission in the discussion beginning February 21 Sunday - February 22 Monday. The election will begin on Tuesday February 23, 2021

There will be two days for the candidates to add to the submitted documents but you will not be able subtract or amend the documents submitted unless you drop out of the election. Election will be held from Tuesday, February 23, 2021 to Wednesday February 24, 2021. The results of the election will be tabulated and reported shortly after polls close and no later than Thursday, February 25, 2021.

The elections will take place beginning on Tuesday February 23, 2021 and conclude on Wednesday, February 24, 2021. As in previous meetings the start and finish times of elections are abbreviated starting at 9 pm on the third day of the meeting and concluding at 6 pm on the fourth day.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 02-04-2021 at 11:37 PM.

I believe that the wording should make it clear that we are voting to increase by one the number of directors because such a change would be permanent.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Dénommée View Post
    I believe that the wording should make it clear that we are voting to increase by one the number of directors because such a change would be permanent.
    Not necessarily. We are allowed up to ten board positions under the current bylaw. The voting members can change that at a meeting. Having seven has worked but getting the opportunity to add such a high profile addition to our board, it would be malpractice not to present it to the voting members.

Quote Originally Posted by NFP Act
    Change in number of directors

133 (1) The members of a corporation may amend the articles to increase or decrease the number of directors, or the minimum or maximum number of directors, but no decrease shall shorten the term of an incumbent director.

Marginal note:Election of directors where articles amended

(2) If the members at a meeting adopt an amendment to the articles of a corporation to increase or decrease the number or minimum or maximum number of directors, the members may, at the meeting, elect the number of directors authorized by the amendment, and for that purpose, despite subsections 202(1) and 276(3), on the issue of a certificate of amendment the articles are deemed to be amended as of the date the members adopt the amendment.

Marginal note:Fixing the number of directors

(3) If a minimum and maximum number of directors is provided for in the articles, the members may, from time to time by ordinary resolution, fix the number of directors of the corporation and the number of directors to be elected at annual meetings of the members or delegate those powers to the directors. No decrease in the number of directors shall shorten the term of an incumbent director.
    Any change to the actual number of directors requires a resolution by the VM at the simple majority, compared to the 2/3 majority required to change the lower and the upper limit.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Dénommée View Post
    Any change to the actual number of directors requires a resolution by the VM at the simple majority, compared to the 2/3 majority required to change the lower and the upper limit.
    I think a simple majority is enough to change the number of directors.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    I think a simple majority is enough to change the number of directors.
    A simple majority is enough, but no vote on this subject is on the agenda. This is important because after such a vote, the VM may hold an election for the new position or let the Executive appoint someone.

CFC FIDE Representative: Aris Marghetis endorses Victor Plotkin

Dear Canadian chess family, like most of you, I am a chess person for life. I deeply believe chess is a wonderful unique activity that transcends so many possible divisions in life. A 5-year-old can play a 95-year-old; where it doesn't matter at all what's their size, gender, ethnicity, religion, nation, etc.

Chess is so special!

And that's why I have chosen to serve the game to the best of my abilities, mostly as an Arbiter, but also as a teacher, especially of complete beginners. I love starting families off on a lifetime of chess!

My use of the phrase "to serve" is very intentional. I feel deeply we should all strive to do what is genuinely best for the game of chess, from fundamental grass roots all the way to CFC and FIDE.

So, when Hal Bond resigned as CFC FIDE Representative, I was moved by proposals that I continue serving, as the next CFC FIDE Representative. With my long spectrum of experiences across Canada, the United States, and FIDE; it looked like a great fit for everyone. I was very excited to get started!

Unfortunately, during this pandemic, especially since Christmas, our family has been shocked by a mean series of deaths, strokes / heart attacks, and other hospitalizations. I respectfully withdraw.

That leaves two candidates, Victor Plotkin and Vadim Tsypin. Both men are very intelligent, very industrious; and each in his own way, very successful. There are differences, none more obvious than Vadim's current position on the FIDE Management Board. Even before "conflict of interest".

Please consider the following analysis.

Decades ago, John Prentice honourably represented Canada within FIDE leadership. For the first time since then, we have a Canadian within FIDE management. This is a very good thing. Then the question we should ask ourselves is a strategic one. Given that Vadim already is where he is, then between Vadim and Victor, who would be the better choice as CFC FIDE Representative? Another way of phrasing this is: who would not be the lesser candidate? Here is my strategic thinking:

1) Vadim has been on the FIDE Management Board since 2018. During that time, Vadim has maintained a very close relationship with CFC President Vlad Drkulec. Could that get any better with Vadim as CFC FIDE Representative? Despite the flowery words and some adamant posts, the answer is: of course not. All it would do is to erode Vadim's influence within FIDE leadership. The new danger is that whenever Vadim speaks at the FIDE level, sometimes people will understandably wonder whether Vadim is wearing his FIDE management hat or one of his CFC hats. Why risk that?!

2) The counter-argument that Vadim can "get things done" better than before just doesn't add up. Vadim has already been there since 2018, always with a very tight relationship with Vlad, so how would it suddenly get better for the CFC? So there's a potential downside, but no potential upside.

3) Every organization has a leadership pyramid. The FIDE Management Board is up there in the FIDE leadership pyramid. Further down, but quite importantly, the Zonal Presidents and national delegates to FIDE are also part of the FIDE leadership pyramid. We have a unique opportunity to double how many Canadians in this conversation. Why in the world wouldn't we take advantage?!

In the spirit of full disclosure, I have discussed my concerns with both Vadim and Vlad, who has apparently decided to support Vadim. I have clearly expressed my profound disappointment over the strategic mistake of installing Vadim as CFC FIDE Representative. Now I make my case to you.

Victor Plotkin is a man of integrity, and is stepping up to serve chess, with no expected reward other than just that, serving chess, for both CFC and FIDE. At the upcoming February 2021 special meeting, I heartily encourage you to vote for Victor Plotkin as our next CFC FIDE Representative.

If you want to chat before voting, I'll make time for you. If you Skype, my Name is "arismarghetis".

Thank you, best regards, Aris Marghetis.
    Last edited by Aris Marghetis; 02-21-2021 at 11:48 AM.

Default Hal's Comments 1

Hal Bond: Report to CFC Voting Members (February 2021)

The position of “FIDE Representative” in Canada is all about public service. Integrity is the most important quality for any candidate.
    I resigned because of the conduct of Vadim Tsypin, and President Vlad Drkulec’s response to that conduct, since 2018. The pattern of behaviour is of growing concern.

Here is a summary of events and relevant quotes from emails:

October 4th, 2018: I shall start with the election of FIDE President Arkady Dvorkovich. Vadim is on his campaign team. I emailed a couple of positive notes to the CFC Executive from Batumi:

“Last night I had a chance to speak briefly with Arkady Dvorkovich. I congratulated him on his solid victory and told him that Canada looks forward to working with him. He assured me that we will work together.”

and

“The 2019 NAYCC was awarded to Canada last night also in an extended meeting FIDE America.”

Later that day, Tsypin emailed a positive reply to the CFC Executive:

“First of all, thanks again to Hal for seeing through Canada's bid to completion, much appreciated.”

So far, so good.

October 5th, 2018: After a series of challenging FIDE meetings right after the election, I emailed a pointed update to the CFC Executive. I was positive about Dvorkovich, but I had concerns too.
    I soon discovered something very dark. This email to my Executive was distorted and shared with the FIDE President and his team. It depicts me as an anti-Semite who is against them. Despite FIDE’s lack of co-operation I found this forgery. I have underlined the alterations below.
    From my email:
    “Makro was a brilliant Chair during the remaining agenda matters and this was appreciated by all. His parting words were a tad sharp- urging AD not to go down the road of exclusion and cronyism bribery and state influence which characterized the campaign. Makro was very proud of his clean campaign against Putin, Kasparov, USA etc.

The new regime does have a steep learning curve ahead and I choose to be optimistic. But there are haters among AD’s people and some who are also clueless. I do not include Arkady in this number so I hope his leadership prevails.”

From the forgery:
    “Makro was as brilliant as always during the remaining agenda matters. He is a towering figure over new dwarfs. His parting words urged AD not to go down the road of exclusion and cronyism, bribery and state influence which characterized the campaign. Makro was very proud of his clean campaign
    against the joint forces of Putin, Zionism, Kasparov, USA etc.

The new junta does have a steep learning curve ahead and I am not optimistic. AD’s people are haters and most are also clueless. They don't appreciate any of us who served FIDE under Macro's enlightened leadership.”

A number of Senior FIDE Officials have since verbally named the culprit. You can guess.

Default Hal's Comments 2

cont'd

October 11th, 2018: Tsypin writes to CFC Executive and others, and appears to make an oblique reference to the forgery above:

“Those inept people who "distinguished" themselves by vile personal attacks and biased reports sent back to their countries will never be considered competent or worthy.”

Tsypin ends his email by confirming his target is me:

“The present Canada’s delegate to FIDE has done enormous damage to our country and to the CFC by his actions in Batumi. His ill-advised political manifestations, his visceral personal attacks on members of the President’s campaign, his boorish and under-the-influence behaviour at the official receptions, and especially his rehashing of old canards and politically charged epithets – all of this was literally beyond the pale and created a long-lasting impression on the key people who would be governing the FIDE in the next four years.

Please rest assured that the FIDE President makes clear distinction between actions of one unbalanced individual – and wishes and aspirations of the Canadian chess community, the players, the grassroots organizers. There is now a unique chance for Canada to be among the very first countries that would receive tangible help from FIDE.

However, our federation needs to make a clean break with the past as well. Animosity, hostility, venom incompetence, inappropriate behaviour - all of this needs to be replaced by impartiality and professionalism at the international level This is a subject of discussions that I’ve already initiated with the CFC President. We need to move fast; London's PB is around the corner.”

There are three takeaways to consider:
    1) The ugly attack speech is blatant.
    2) A quid pro quo implied. (tangible help from FIDE …a clean break with the past)
    3) Tsypin announces he is opening a back channel with Drkulec.

Vlad called me the same day and confirmed that he had been contacted by Vadim and Berik, and €20,000 from FIDE was being offered to the CFC if I am replaced.

In the meantime, Tsypin approaches one year as an International Arbiter (IA) Category D. It takes at least five years to be promoted to IA Category B. Tsypin makes his move early. At his request, I sign for his norms, subject to time served. This is irregular but the Arbiters’ Commission (ARB) reluctantly accepts it. Vadim convinces Vlad to petition FIDE for an exemption to time served without my knowledge. Extraordinary! The situation is resolved in September 2019. I wanted Vadim held accountable. The following emails capture this:

February 12th, 2020: In my email to the CFC Executive:

“You will recall that Vadim Tsypin attempted to fast track his Arbiter Classification with FIDE, which would allow him to be a FIDE Lecturer 4 years early, ahead of others who wait their turn. This can only happen if the applicant’s Federation writes to FIDE to request it. You will recall that Mr. Tsypin tricked Vlad into signing such a letter for him, and at our unanimous direction, Vlad wrote a letter of retraction.
    Should that be the end of it? I think not. The fact that Vlad wrote the retraction is proof that Vadim behaved incorrectly. I believe and disciplinary action is required.”

February 13th, 2020: In his email reply to the CFC Executive, Vlad confirms two things:

1) Tsypin misled Drkulec (and FIDE) regarding FIDE Arbiter classification regulations:

“That I wrote the retraction is only proof that I believe I acted incorrectly.” (re: petitioning FIDE)

2) The quid pro quo implied from October 11th, 2018:

“We don't understand Vadim's relationship with FIDE president Arkady Dvorkovich. We don't know Vadim's relationship with whoever intercepted and altered Hal's email. We know Berik who was a close
    associate of Kirsan Ilyumzhanov is somehow involved. We know they were offering large sums of money in exchange for getting rid of Hal.”

Despite a unanimous vote by the Executive, Vlad refuses to ask for Vadim’s resignation as the CFC Publicity Officer. Vadim is not held accountable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast