Thread: The first FIDE World Corporate Chess Championship

Default The first FIDE World Corporate Chess Championship

On December 14, 2020, the International Chess Federation (FIDE) sent its member federations the announcement about an exciting new event - the first FIDE World Corporate Chess Championship, to be held on February 19-21, 2021.

The event will be played entirely online, but the participants are encouraged to compete from the headquarters of the company they represent, as long as the epidemiological situation in their countries allows it.

Companies can use this event to promote team building, to foster a sense of connection between employees and to contribute to a positive workplace environment. Participant companies were offered a possibility to brand the playing venue and to provide a video feed to be used at the FIDE and Chess.com broadcast, as well as in their own channels. (An online version of the announcement.)

This new FIDE initiative received a positive response worldwide. Companies like American Express, Kimberley-Clark, Facebook, Morgan Stanley, and many others have already registered to participate.

Unfortunately, it appears that, for some reason, this FIDE invitation sent to the CFC wasn't properly communicated to hundreds of Canadian chess players who work at the companies that might be very interested in this kind of an exposure on the global stage. There was a real risk that Canada would not be represented.

I am very grateful to a grassroots group in the Greater Toronto Area that is leading the 11th-hour effort to get a corporate team registered. Go ladies! Go Canada go!

Quote Originally Posted by Vadim Tsypin View Post
    I am very grateful to a grassroots group in the Greater Toronto Area that is leading the 11th-hour effort to get a corporate team registered. Go ladies! Go Canada go!
    Congratulations Oksana and Anna for coming through!

Good luck to all Canadian teams:
    • Farber Group (captain Oksana Golubeva)
    • Telus (captain Maroun Tomb)
    • Fluidigm (captain Saad Kazi)
    • Amazon US-East (captain Guillermo Mansilla)

The full list of 282 teams is here.

Blog Entries

FIDE is doing their part to keep chess on the radar. We probably should start on next year's edition now.

Media interest in chess has never been this intense. This is a result of individual interest and the unprecedented number of players taking up the game online.

[QUOTE=Vadim Tsypin;36241]Congratulations Oksana and Anna

Thank you, Vadim! I am pleasantly surprised to see four Canadian teams in this event. When Oksana and I got the idea to set up Farber team, there were no other teams on the radar at all. It's great to see that we were not the only ones jumping in at the last moment.

Good luck to all Canadian participants! The competition will be fierce but I think it is already a win that our country is represented by not one or two, but four teams.